First black and white Spitfire image

First black and white Spitfire image

Postby aknott68 on Mon 03 Dec 2018, 11:06 am

Given the fact that we're at the end of the season, the forum seems to have gone quiet again so thought I'd start this thread.

I was privileged enough to be given a flight in formation with a Spitfire earlier in the year, Aero legends out of Sywell flying with Spit TD314.

Despite the good weather we have had during this year, there were times during this flight where the lighting conditions weren't the best, so I've made my first attempt at moving from flat colour to black and white - be interested to hear any advice as to how to make this image any better, or whether I should just give up altogether ;0)

ImageSupermarine Spitfire Mk IX TD314 taken by me during an air to air sortie run by Aero Legends out of Sywell in Northamptonshire - my first attempt at doing creative black and white processing to overcome the flat lighting that was around at this time by andy knott, on Flickr
aknott68

Re: First black and white Spitfire image

Postby TigerMeet4Ever on Mon 03 Dec 2018, 9:29 pm

It's a very good attempt. Well done. :clap:
TigerMeet4Ever

Postby aknott68 on Mon 03 Dec 2018, 9:45 pm

TigerMeet4Ever wrote:It's a very good attempt. Well done. :clap:

Thanks very much 1 out of nearly 300 people think so, I guess I'll take that ;0)
aknott68

Postby tankbuster81 on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 9:09 am

I like it, the Spitfire, has a kind of "ghostly" look to it.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Postby jalfrezi on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 10:48 am

It's a nice shot, the clouds look a little blown out in places. You could try masking out the Spitfire and reducing the highlights in the clouds, that might work?
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby frank on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 1:28 pm

If it was originally a colour photo, the general ROT is to up the Contrast and scale down the Saturation. Have you played with that
frank

Return to Warbird & Classic Jet Photos