RAF Museum, Hendon 12th August 2009

RAF Museum, Hendon 12th August 2009

Postby Rob Leigh on Thu 13 Aug 2009, 11:49 pm

After reading that the Battle of Britain Hall had been re-opened I headed over to see whether things had improved.

The hall has been reclad and the end wall facing the car park has been replaced with glass.

The promised improvements in lighting in the BoB side of the hall haven't been delivered yet and things are as gloomy as ever so I just took a few shots in the Sunderland side. Until the RAF Museum delivers on its promise of better lighting I won't bother taking any more photos in there.

In true RAFM style the AV terminals weren't working

The RAFM website promises these "in a couple of days". We'll see.

Another small point:
No it isn't, but you only find that out if you walk past the sign into the reception hall where there's a small piece of paper informing you that it's back to rationing for the Grahame-White Factory and this great collection is only available between 10:00 and 12:00 which is useless if you've had to travel any distance.

The main reason for my visit was to see the most recent arrival, the FE2b which has unfortunately been placed in the worst display location that the RAF Museum has behind the Lancaster. A black aeroplane in a dimly lit hall is scant recognition for the years of effort that went into this beautiful recreation. To compound this, some bright spark has placed a row of barriers in-front of the FE2b so that you can't get an unrestricted view of the front. If this is intended to provide some protection from debris blowing through the nearby door surely the barrier could serve the same purpose placed against the door? Despite the FE2b arriving in May the AV terminal in-front of it isn't working.

Anyway, enough moaning, here's the FE2b and nearby BE2b

Higher resolution versions of these shots are available on my Flickr account http://www.flickr.com/photos/shuttleworthpix/sets/72157621908121973/
Last edited by Rob Leigh on Sat 15 Aug 2009, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Leigh

Re: RAF Museum, Hendon 12th August 2009

Postby MrAngry2 on Fri 14 Aug 2009, 7:46 am

Very nice shooting Mr Leigh, isnt the FE2b a wonderful looking beastie. It never fails to amaze me that this museum really does seem to hate the public and do all they can to make seeing, what is actually a wonderful collection of aircraft and artefacts, as painful and awkward as possible.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjudge/

Biggin Hill international cheese fair 2011 (TBC)
MrAngry2

Postby EMarsh on Fri 14 Aug 2009, 8:34 am

Wow, that Fe2b is quite the beauty. Will have to get over the west London to see her myself, soon.

Hendon is, to me, an example of a fantastic collection in a decent museum that could be so much better with more thought put into how the aircraft are presented to the public.
EMarsh

Postby DocStirling on Fri 14 Aug 2009, 3:02 pm

Nice shots Rob!

Daniel
How Do I KNow
DocStirling

Postby Rob Leigh on Fri 14 Aug 2009, 6:45 pm

Winding the clock back a little, this is what the Fee looked like at the end of January 2008

Rob Leigh

Postby itfcscott on Sat 15 Aug 2009, 7:55 pm

Nice set :clap: , My Dad and I are thinking of a trip to Hendon in the near future.
itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Postby Manonthefence on Sun 16 Aug 2009, 10:23 am

itfcscott wrote:Nice set :clap: , My Dad and I are thinking of a trip to Hendon in the near future.

Take NVGs and dont expect to get in the Grahame White hangar.
Manonthefence

Postby Grumman on Sun 16 Aug 2009, 3:15 pm

itfcscott wrote:Nice set :clap: , My Dad and I are thinking of a trip to Hendon in the near future.

You'll enjoy it! Despite what you might read, the aircraft are presented in some very atmospheric ways and if you're going there to enjoy the exhibits themselves I think you'll be impressed. Oh, and it's free!

Of course the omission of glaring light might detract from the value of aircraft as a pure photgraphic opportunity, but then that's not everything, or is it?

PS, The pics look excellent so perhaps it's not such a dead loss after all. :smile:
Grumman

Postby TheDuck on Mon 17 Aug 2009, 6:51 pm

Rob Leigh wrote:Winding the clock back a little, this is what the Fee looked like at the end of January 2008

Couldn't notice seeing the Ex-Shuttleworth LVG C.VI, still looking in a rather nasty state. Still don't understand why they wanted an aircraft back, to hide it away for years.

Away from that nice pictures, of what is a very fustrating place. Mostly the fustration raising from the fact the RAF Museum does have a fantastic collection of aircraft, displayed poorly.
TheDuck

Return to Warbird & Classic Jet Photos