Syria Trip 1996

Syria Trip 1996

Postby Jetnoise on Thu 21 Jan 2010, 11:04 am

I was digging these shots out for the "UKAR World Tour" thread in Modern Mil, but was beaten to it by a shot of a Syrian A320 :sad:
Anyway, I might as well post them here as they may be of interest in this section.
The Damascus War Museum was pretty tough going as regards photography as most of the aircraft have trees and other shrubbery growing around (and sometines through) them. I understand that, subsequent to my visit, some of the trees have been cleared and the aircraft repainted in somewhat gaudy colour schemes and minus their serials.

First off, an Su-7...

Followed by a MiG-21...

A Polish built MiG-15UTI....

An L-29 Delfin...

And then, rummaging through the undergrowth, A Texan/Harvard...

and a Super Cub...

and a MiG-17 on which former East German markings could be made out under the paint...

A surprise to me was this Campbell Cricket which, according to the nearby information board, was captured whilst being used by the Israelis for spying! If anybody has any info on this aircraft following it leaving the UK register for Kuwait in 1970, I would be keen to know...

Also found in Damascus (but not at the museum) was this former Yemeni B707 which had been forced down by, so they say, the Iraqi AF...

Finally, the last aircraft photographed during my trip was this MiG-17 that was spotted in the grounds of Aleppo University. There was also a MiG-15UTI and a Meteor present, but I could not photograph them due to the proximity of an Army tank compound....

Hope these were of interest.

Cheers,
Ralph
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.
Jetnoise

Re: Syria Trip 1996

Postby danspuggti on Thu 21 Jan 2010, 11:12 am

Thanks for posting Ralph. Shame to see the airframes left like that. You'd be forgiven for thinking that the shots had been taken in the middle of a jungle. As for the Yemeni B707, did they just think "it's too big to move, lets just build round it"?

DAN
Same old sh*t.............just happening on a different day!!!
danspuggti

Postby Jetnoise on Thu 21 Jan 2010, 11:28 am

The B707 was supposedly gun running and was heading for Damascus when intercepted and fired on by the Iraqis (some versions of the story say the Israelis). It managed to land OK at the airport but was too badly damaged to be repaired. It must have been transported by road to its current location in town. As with most of the other aircraft I shot on that trip, it was impossible to get a clean shot of it - particularly due to the strange concrete and metal bulge half way down!

Cheers,
Ralph
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.
Jetnoise

Postby Maisie on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 8:15 am

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but great to see... wonder how they look now?! I found this searching for something else (via Google), but too good not to comment.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6
Maisie

Return to Warbird & Classic Jet Photos