firebombers at Fox Field 2003

firebombers at Fox Field 2003

Postby Joe Spares on Thu 04 Feb 2010, 8:53 pm

Following the recent excellent posting showing thw water bombers in action this year reminded me of my visit in October 2003. I'd gone over to Southern California and had a couple of days on the beach at North Island (and got a rousting from the base security for my efforts) , followed by Miramar show, swinging to Vegas for Red Flag, then back to California for Edwards show.
In between me leaving San Diego and reaching Edwards, wild fires had broken out around San Diego and the Simi Valley, just over the mountains from Fox Field. With a day spare on the Sunday before heading home I ventured to Fox to see if there was any activity......

P3, P2 and DC 6 ready for action

Orion roars down the runway

P3 rests between sorties

P3 Taxis on two engines

one of three P2 Neptunes

P2 lifts off

Didn't know what a DC7 was until this time !!

Another DC7

DC6 taxis

DC 4 Taxi's out

DC4 launches

Firespotting OV10

They were busy flying to start with, but then the wind got up and made it unsafe to drop on the fires, so they had to return and drop their loads over the airfield, very impressive! Also the sound of the P2's taking off was wierd, you'd hear the piston engines roaring at full chat but after they passed it changed to the sound of the jet engines !!
Hope you enjoy viewing as much as I did taking them!!

ps after digging these out, I found loads of stuff I had forgotten about, I will post some more soon, some is already on my webpage at
http://matsgallery.fotopic .net
Joe Spares

Re: firebombers at Fox Field 2003

Postby SilverWingPix on Thu 04 Feb 2010, 9:26 pm

Wonderfull set - I sometime wish one could turn back time.

I photographed the Ardco N9015Q at Ryan Field in 2007, sadly it had been withdrawn from use.

E.
SilverWingPix

Postby AndyBeau on Thu 04 Feb 2010, 10:34 pm

Wow! Look at all those DC's! Great stuff Joe. Thanks for digging these out! :clap:
AndyBeau

Postby Joe Spares on Fri 05 Feb 2010, 10:35 am

Here's a couple more that have come to light, should have a Huey and another bronco somewhere.......

The P2 was seen at Alamagordo in March 2002, if I remember correctly it was lost some 18months or so later after breaking up in flight, sadly killing the crew.

The S2 turbo tracker was at Hemet-Ryan in March 02, I was taking photos over the fence when I was yelled at, fearing the worst and a telling off, I was invited by one of the maintainers airside to get closer shots !!
Joe Spares

Return to Warbird & Classic Jet Photos