Harrier GR.9A Night Shots

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
MerlinJon

Harrier GR.9A Night Shots

Post by MerlinJon »

On the 6th Feb I had a fantastic opportunity to photograph the Fleet Air Arm Museum's latest acquisition BAe Harrier GR.9A ZD433, this aircraft has become affectionately known to Museum staff as Dirty Harry due to the fact it is in the exact same condition as when it was retired from service in 2010 dirt and all.

If you would like to come and see Dirty Harry the Museum will be displaying it from the 20th February until the 20th May when it will be moved to Cobham Hall to make way for the Falklands 30 exhibition. The Museum are then planning to return it back to display in the early part of 2013, if you would like any more information please take a look at the Museum's website http://www.fleetairarm.com

On with the pics.

BAe Harrier GR.9 ZD433/45A by JonCoombes, on Flickr

Hope you enjoy.

Jon
Last edited by MerlinJon on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DeanW

Re: Dirty Harry skulking around in the Dark. Harrier Night S

Post by DeanW »

Lovely, numbers 1 and 6 do it for me.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Dirty Harry skulking around in the Dark. Harrier Night S

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Very nice indeed, Jonathan. First and last for me, with a bit of colour still in the sky.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Mr Flibble
UKAR Staff

Re: Harrier GR.9A Night Shots

Post by Mr Flibble »

Great shooting, Jon.
That airframe should be a great example of weathering a Harrier for the modellers out there!

It looks like one of the lateral strakes has been removed from the belly - any idea why that is?

MerlinJon

Post by MerlinJon »

Mr Flibble wrote:Great shooting, Jon.
That airframe should be a great example of weathering a Harrier for the modellers out there!

It looks like one of the lateral strakes has been removed from the belly - any idea why that is?

Just because we have not received the weapons fit as yet, so basically leaving options open until we know what will be fitted.

Also can I take this opportunity to share with a you a statement from Dave Morris the Curator of Aircraft at the FAAM.

"Regarding the aircraft being repainted- absolutely not. ZD433 was specifically chosen by the Curator of Aircraft Dave Morris specifically because of the condition it is in.

This is In line with the Museum’s continuing policy of critically analysing all of our aircraft as per the Corsair and Martlet or, when an opportunity arises, to acquire a totally authentic aircraft straight from service (in this case almost straight from Theatre) and preserve it as a truly accurate reference object for all time. The yard stick we often use is- what if we were lucky enough to discover a completely original Sopwith Camel in a French Barn, in exactly the same condition as it was last flown in 1918. Wouldn’t we consider ourselves very lucky !. One day ZD433 will be 100 years old too. There is a time and a necessity for repainting, rebuilding and refurbishing, and Corsair and Martlet projects are not feasible or practical to apply to every aircraft. There are also instances when what is before you is already valuable for the condition it stands in and no further restoration treatments are necessary. I hope that allays some of the fears that some people clearly have regarding how original ZD433 will be maintained."

Jon

McG

Post by McG »

1st & last are great. I would vote for the last for POTW.