Carolinas Aviation Museum

Carolinas Aviation Museum

Postby cw318is on Tue 22 May 2012, 10:46 pm

Few weeks ago I ended up out here so thought I'd check out the local cheeseburgers (amazing) and have a look at the museum at Charlotte Douglas Airport.

I guess most people go to see this:
Cactus 1549 by cw318is, on Flickr
Not quite sure if the guy stood next to me and said "geez thats a mess" understood I was joking when I said "nah, at home the CAA have issued a permit to fly for worse!"

A few others of the insiders:
Vought A-7 Corsair II by cw318is, on Flickr

AH-1J Sea Cobra by cw318is, on Flickr

Piedmont DC-3 by cw318is, on Flickr
And yes I was taking a photo of my reflection in the cowling.

Without a doubt though outside are some real gems like this Tomcat
Grumman F-14D Tomcat by cw318is, on Flickr

Unfortunately though you can only go into a pen area with a 7' high fence, luckily there are a couple of picnic tables you can stand on when no one is looking and the cheapest drinks vending machine in North Carolina if you want to watch the depatures from 18L and 18C.
so fierce its kept behind a fence...... by cw318is, on Flickr

I would have really liked to get a better look and a better angle on this
OV-1D Mohawk by cw318is, on Flickr

Nice Scooter
Douglas A-4 Skyhawk by cw318is, on Flickr

And a tired and distant Jolly Green to finish
CH-3E Jolly Green Giant by cw318is, on Flickr

Worth a look definately. They have a Phantom, P-80, 727, KC-97 and A-37 cockpits all accessible and the museum is staffed by some quite friendly people. I think they are taking over the building next door as well which might mean the outside exhibits will be moved inside. The ANG ramp is just next door as well if you want to watch some Hercs, and they have a lovely dog nose sabre on a stick outside.
DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.
cw318is

Re: Carolinas Aviation Museum

Postby andyxh558 on Wed 23 May 2012, 8:39 am

some nice shots, the Piedmont Dc3 and the mohawk really stand out to me and he Tomcat looks like its ready to fly . Is the fly eastern Dc7 the airworthy one?
andyxh558

Postby swingy on Wed 23 May 2012, 2:11 pm

Nice shots. Know what you mean about that fence I was there a couple of months back and all the good stuff is where you cant see it. They are apparently trying to get the hangar to the left as you look over the fence and blame the clamp down on access to security concerns.
swingy

Postby cw318is on Wed 23 May 2012, 11:25 pm

The DC7 isn't a resident - it brought Captain Sully across to open the ditched airbus exhibit then lost an engine on departure for Miami and its been there ever since. The Tomcat was delivered by air, the museum is quite proud that for two weeks they had a live cat outside before the USN came and decommisioned it.

The building to the left (I think it was a bizjet terminal) is going to be the new entrance and shop, which should free up a lot of space in the main hangar. As I understand the current exhibition hangar is shared with another company - lots of roped off corridors and the like. As for the Cactus 1549 display, to be honest I thought it was a bit naff. To have an A320 like that inside when its not especially rare or unique and isn't in the typical exhibition condition I think is a waste of hangar space which is more befitting to the rarer, unique stuff. I can see the attraction, and its a big draw to the museum but I looked at it and saw a large piece of damp, buckled scrap metal. If you look out the window there are more A320's and A321's then you can shake a stick at (Charlotte is a major US Airways hub). I think it would have been better to have it outside, maybe on a pond or something.

Anyway - couple more shots of the shiny Piedmont DC-3 and the Mohawk with the darn fence!

IMG_1485 by cw318is, on Flickr

IMG_1420 by cw318is, on Flickr
DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.
cw318is

Return to Warbird & Classic Jet Photos