Stauning Danish Flying museum

Stauning Danish Flying museum

Postby st24 on Mon 09 Feb 2015, 11:14 pm

As part of my combined trip to the Karup Airshow and Schleswig Tiger Meet I took time out on the Saturday to visit this museum located at a small airfield on the Western coast of Denmark close to the inland water of Ringkobing Fjord. A very welcoming place with some 57 airframes and all the usual associated paraphernalia such as engines, models, displays etc representing Danish aviation from 1911 to 2000 (a retired F-16A being the latest inmate) The museum is very much a living one like Duxford or Old Warden with many of the machines airworthy, indeed I was hoping that the fleet of home grown KZ types would be out on their way to the Karup show, unfortunately they turned up on the morning of the show. Everything is under cover but the hangar and buildings have a lot of natural light and apart from the usual museum layout of very tight parking, some shots could be made.
Greeting all visitors is a very lifelike, pole mounted Spitfire LFIXe replica, a real (the last survivor) HFIXe is inside. The RDAF flew Spits until 1956.

There are 3 main buildings, one features a varied range of types such as a DH Dove, Corvette, Enstrom Shark, Airtruk, a second has many of the rare and unique KZ types, many still fly as well as a super Hawker Dankok and Avro 504. The third is the main RDAF collection with Hunter, Meteor, RF-84, F-86D, F-104 etc. Two types notably missing are Alouette III and F-100, though the Hun is away for re-furbishment.
Ellehammer Replica of 1906
B&S Monoplan III - the first military Danish aeroplane
Himmellus Flying Flea

Bizarre Transavia Air Truk from Australia, maintained in flying condition
The all-wood home built twin HT1 Hollschmidtt 222
Swedish built Bu181 Bestmann giving a view of the large collection of sailplanes and gliders hung from the roof.
Pristine Dove 6 used by Cimber Air for 10 years..
Rare Aerospatiale SN.601 Corvette
Lovely Avro 504N, known as the LB1 (Land Biplan 1)
Star of the show for me - the sole remaining Hawker Woodcock (known as Danekok LB2 in Danish service) one of 15 used.

Another highlight is the unique collection of Kramme & Zeuthen (KZ) Danish types, many of which still fly.
KZ I, a VW powered replica of the only one ever produced
Three versions of the KZ II- original side by side Coupe version, 14 built
Tandem seated KZ II sport aerobatic trainer, 16 built
Gypsy major powered KZ II Traener, used as a military primary trainer, 15 used
KZ III used by the RDAF and Air-ambulance service
The rather elegant sole remaining KZ IV, the flagship of the collection
KZ VII Lark, used by the RDAF until the late '70s..
KZ VIII, a rather ungainly aerobatic type. I was amazed to find out that only 2 were ever built, plus a replica as one used to be a regular air show performer in the UK in the '70s..
Ill- fated KZ X designed specifically as an observation type for the Danish Army but several crashes led to it being withdrawn prematurely. Only this, the prototype exists and is still flown..
The third building houses a fine collection of Danish military types, featuring much camo and dayglo!!

Lovely Sabre Dog

In the days when cannon and guns were considered obsolete, only armament was 24 mighty mouse rockets housed in a retractable tray..

Hope you like, well worth a visit....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Re: Stauning Danish Flying museum

Postby jimbob1194 on Tue 10 Feb 2015, 8:27 am

Fantastic Geoff.

I've been wanting to hit Stauning for quite some time now especially for the fly in.

Danekok and KZ types- Oh my!! :love: :drool:

Like the Noggies, everything looks good Danish!

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.
jimbob1194

Postby Tommy on Tue 10 Feb 2015, 8:15 pm

Thanks for posting, Geoff. Plenty of gems hidden away there! :love:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Wes_Howes on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 9:30 am

Lovely stuff Geoff, that KZ IV is beautiful, almost looking like a monoplane version, DH Rapide (to my eyes anyways :hypno: :grin: ) without the twin tail fins of course... Don't fancy a ride in the back if the KZ III though :sick:
Wes_Howes

Postby Arthur Tee on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 12:17 pm

Fantastic selection! :clap:

Particularly like all that Day-glo on the military stuff - but my favourite has to be S-61A U-240 - as I managed an 8 minute staff 'thank you' flight in that airframe after the 1986 Middle Wallop Show. :love:

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!
Arthur Tee

Postby AndyXH558 on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 5:28 pm

Really fancy seeing the museum for my self. some great pics especially the 504. Its the types you have put first you seldom see on a forum so its nice that you have given so much info about them.
member of Meteor WS788 restoration team. and resident of Canto Bight
AndyXH558

Postby Pablo on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 6:41 pm

These are lovely, Geoff - some very tasty subjects and the lightning looks great in there. No surprise that I'm quite taken with the KZ VIII !
Pablo

Postby SPLAT on Thu 12 Feb 2015, 12:30 pm

A lot of great stuff there , but it does not look too challenging for photography
SPLAT

Postby st24 on Wed 18 Feb 2015, 9:24 am

Thanks all for the comments folks :up: . Stauning's always been on the hit list though preferably during one of their shows, but this was as good a time as any to visit. I note the comments re the KZs, and the IV in particular, and the VIII, well I though you may be interested in that sir! Re the S-61, thats the only one preserved, the others were sold to a U.S. company for refurb and onward use (probably!) in sandy places.. Good to see it returned to it's original metal and dayglo finish as delivered in 1965 though of course the radome was a later fitment.
An nice easy drive from Billund (Legoland) airport and Denmark in general is a typically, clean, respectable Scandinavian country, well worth a look.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Return to Warbird & Classic Jet Photos