Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 8~27May16*

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Pen Pusher

Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 8~27May16*

Post by Pen Pusher »

As I'm off to Old Warden on Sunday, I thought I'd best get some practice in using the Tamron 150-600mm lens. There was a Duxford Bonus Day, half price landing/entrance fees, for Vans aircraft so plenty of targets to practice panning on and enough war birds flying to happily snap away at. It was hazy with high cloud defusing the light but warm with it. In the order they were taken first at the Tank Bank in the morning and the M11 end in the afternoon.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Orion

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ 07May16

Post by Orion »

Nice photos, Brian.

I was there too and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the day. The highlight for me was the take-off of the Dove/Devon as I haven't seen that occur for at least 30 if not 40 years!

It was interesting to walk around the AAM and see how many of the aeroplanes have been re-packed into the space. I can't bring myself to like the building though, outside it looks good, inside it's awful. The recent re-vamp has done nothing for the humidity levels inside; it was a relief to get outside again.

Regards

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 1~12May16*

Post by Pen Pusher »

After being stuck inside for a couple of day's because of rain, it was nice to get out in the sunshine again even though the day did start off with a heavy haze but cleared away to nice blue sky in the afternoon. The ARCo two-seat Spitfire was up and down all day on training flights and the Yak 3M was out on the grass for an engine run before being taken for a tie down run at the 06 end of the runway. Duxford heliport was in operation again during the afternoon with a couple of Griffin HT.1 helicopters from the Defence Helicopter Flying School at RAF Shawbury, that arrived and departed separately. As I was waiting for the second Griffin to depart, a flight of 4 Army Air Corps Lynx Mk.9 helicopters flew over which I believe were the last 4 helicopters to leave Dishforth en-route to their new base at Middle Wallop. Late afternoon and Skyvan/G-PIGY arrived with a friend and parked up on the jet pan for the night.

Photos in the order they were taken with a Sony Alpha A6300 Compact Systems Camera with a Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Di-III VC

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 2~15May16*

Post by Pen Pusher »

A busy day at Duxford with lots of GA types filling up the jet pan with a few war birds flying to make up for all the spam cans. Having flown in on Thursday with Skyvan/G-PIGY in tow, the Belgian registered Turbo Commander flew in again but this time with Bronco/Tiger 1 in tow and both parked up with G-PIGY on the jet pan. The Skyvan and Bronco are both appearing at the Duxford air show at the end of the month. The blue Classic Wings based Harvard flew some aerobatics in the morning and in the afternoon went pairs flying with ARCo Harvard/Taz. Also flying with Classic Wings was the Biggin Hill based Spitfire/TA805. Highlight of the afternoon was the appearance of Mustang P-51D/Miss Helen which went off to the north on a test flight for about 10 minutes and then did several circuits before leaving for Goodwood. Weather wise it was a very nice sunny, warm day but the clouds did roll in to block out the sun every time the war birds went flying. Photos in the order they were taken.

Sony Alpha A77II Digital SLT Camera + Sony 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G SSM Lens

Brian

DfG on Facebook

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Shot of the three Lynx AH9 going over the Griffin HT1 is a beauty Brian! Good eye to compose the shot... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Just out of interest where has Miss Helen appeared from. Never seen her before? Is it a repaint of an old mustang?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Albion143 wrote:Just out of interest where has Miss Helen appeared from. Never seen her before? Is it a repaint of an old mustang?

She's been around in those markings for years - used to be owned by Robs Lamplough, but in recent times has had a few issues and not much flying time. It wasn't long back from crash repairs that it suffered another incident at Flying Legends with a heavy landing. It's under new ownership - it's down at Goodwood with Boultbee now, so I guess they'll be flying her for their warbird flying experience trips.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

timuss

Post by timuss »

Maybe just maybe we may have two blue nosers at Legends this year :cool:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 3~17May16*

Post by Pen Pusher »

A busy-ish Tuesday at Duxford with the Classic wings blue Harvard and one of their Rapides doing training flights as was the Catalina which was up and down all day. Highlight was the Yak-3, who's engine finally behaved itself, and after a test flight to the north we had a bit of aerobatics on its return. The Bronco flew out yesterday but returned and parked up next to G-PIGY again. Photography wise, and in the order they were taken, it was a bit naff as on Sunday the clouds rolled in at the most inopportune moments.

Sony Alpha A6300 CSC + Sony FE 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 OSS Lens

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 4~19May16*

Post by Pen Pusher »

A wall to wall cloudy day at Duxford, so far from ideal photographic conditions, but it must be summer as 'Ice Cold Katy' the British Antarctic Survey Twin Otter resplendent in a new coat of red paint arrived for temporary residence. The Boultbee T9 arrived around lunch time but it was mid afternoon before any of the war birds stirred. ARCo two seat Spitfire/PV202 and Taz went up on training flights and the Yak-3 for a handling flight and some aerobatics and P-40C flew to the north also on a handling flight. Late afternoon and the Humberside Big Wing, two Spitfires and the Buchon, arrived with a run and break before landing. Wasn't planning to go to Duxford tomorrow but might be worth a visit now. Photos in the order they were taken.

Sony Alpha A77II Digital SLT Camera + Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 SP Di VC USD lens.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pringles

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 4~19May16*

Post by Pringles »

That Yak-3 is simply stunning! I'm gutted that it doesn't make more shows! Great shots as always Brian in less that ideal conditions :clap:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 5~20May16*

Post by Pen Pusher »

Many thanks to everyone at ARCo and all the pilots for all the flying and aerobatics today and keeping us all entertained. The Blenheim flew two formations with a pair of Harvard's in the morning and a solo display but the highlight was in the afternoon with a formation display with three Spitfires and very nice it was to. Between ARCo and the Classic Wings 'Fly in a Spitfire' flights, TFC flew the P-40C again with some aerobatics thrown in this time.

Sony Alpha A77II Digital SLT Camera + Sony 70-400mm f4-5.6 G SSM Lens.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

MRTT

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 5~20May16*

Post by MRTT »

Wouldn't mind seeing that formation at the American show! :drool:

Nice set of shots as usual Brian! :smile:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 6~22May16*

Post by Pen Pusher »

Lots of visitors at Duxford today but probably had something to do with the Aston Martin owners club event that had taken over the western end of the museum site. I stayed away but there was an Aston Martin car along with an Extra 300L belonging to the Blades parked outside AirSpace. The Extra didn't stay there long as it was soon moved to the Jet Pan to stop the visitors mauling it to pieces. It was the turn of The Fighter Collection to have a training day with the Harvard doing check flights and the Hawk-75 and Corsair doing aerobatics. Photos in the order they were taken.

Sony Alpha A77II Digital SLT Camera + Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 SP Di VC USD lens.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 7~26May16*

Post by Pen Pusher »

A quiet day at Duxford.The Yak-3 and Wildcat flew display's and the Skyvan flew out at lunchtime and returned later and was to display with the Bronco very late afternoon. There was an Apache helicopter doing circuits and as it left another Apache with 'GUNSHIP' in white on its rocket pods flew in for a practice display. Highlight of the afternoon was around 3.30pm when Mildenhall based Bell Boeing CV-22B Osprey (12)-0063 flew in from the west along the length of the hard runway before touching down at the 24 threshold and then taxied to its parking spot on the jet pan. It was very good at blowing the newly mown grass away though.

Sony Alpha A77II Digital SLT Camera/Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 SP Di VC USD lens + Sony Alpha A6000 Compact Systems Camera/Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Di-III VC

Brian

DfG on Facebook

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Lovely images of the Osprey Brian.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

great shots! any chance you saw the repainted buchon?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I saw it being taken into the ARCo workshop, minus the nose cowls, yesterday but Black 2/'Yellow Nose Barsteward' is down for a practice display today with the other Buchon.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

excellent hopefully it will be around on saturday

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

It was flying today. Niiiiice. Piccies later once I've had something to eat.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 8~27May16*

Post by Pen Pusher »

I've had something to eat now. :biggrin:

The ARCo Buchon broke cover today, when it went for a practice display the the Desert Buchon, in its new temporary film colour scheme with its bright yellow nose which should tone down once it gets a bit of staining and weathering. The Skyvan/Bronco display is quite impressive with the synchronised flying especially the pairs landing.

Sony Alpha A77II Digital SLT Camera/Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 SP Di VC USD lens

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Thanks for those Brian, Photo's look good if there taken on the display axis. Even more looking forward to tomorrow now. Shower time then bed for me up at 4am.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Spent the afternoon sitting opposite the American Air Museum.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Lovely shots Brian, good to see you again :smile:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

JJC

Post by JJC »

New Buchon scheme looks great! Shame I can't make the show - enjoy the weekend all!
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''