Cosford TimeLine Events Nightshoot

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Avionics6

Cosford TimeLine Events Nightshoot

Post by Avionics6 »

Some great images already posted, so I'll share just a few. Another great evening run by the TLE team and base crew. Re-enactors did a good job and there were plenty of opportunities to photograph the aircraft on their own when this was preferred. Weather not as good as last time (when we were extremely lucky) but the addition of more aircraft arranged in the hangar was a boon... and in groups we all got to get around and get some great shots. Smoke and lights later on added to the atmosphere, but you could always head back out (in the mist) and snap some of the floodlit aircraft on the apron. I appear in one of the previous group shots nearest the camera - my camera on tripod at maximum reach, just for a different angle; well, you've got to keep trying.

ImageRipple reflections by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

ImageClose Encounters of the Sepecat kind by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

ImageEthereal big cat by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

ImageNocturnal Tornado by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

ImageNocturnal Cat by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

ImageMulti-role, whatever the weather by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

ImageAircrew by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

ImageJaguar pilot by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

I appreciate that some to not care for these types of set ups, but they're enjoyable friendly events that are inexpensive for what they offer. And, the food provided on base is certainly worth going for... thanks to the base caterers for that!

Jonathan.

Avionics6

Re: Cosford TimeLine Events Nightshoot

Post by Avionics6 »

Just one more of the vibrant Jag T2A
ImageThe red white and blue by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Nice assortment of images, but I think the colour balance is off on a few of them? :up:

Avionics6

Post by Avionics6 »

Spotty_Jag wrote:Nice assortment of images, but I think the colour balance is off on a few of them? :up:

Thanks. The white balance was pulled to the right on th smoky images for atmospheric purposes, buyback the rest are essentially as adjusted to suit the lighting; they're as close as I couldn't get them per my memory, and I've checked them on a few devices... but thank so fir the feedback, and I'll checks their K score.
J

wallace

Post by wallace »

Who am I to deny you, your moment of fame?
ImageTLE Photographers, Cosford by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr

The photos do have a saturated look to them Johnathan but it's your photos and you do with them what you want.

Avionics6

Post by Avionics6 »

wallace wrote:Who am I to deny you, your moment of fame?
ImageTLE Photographers, Cosford by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr

The photos do have a saturated look to them Johnathan but it's your photos and you do with them what you want.

Thanks Wallace :biggrin:
Yes, I have "pushed" them more than just a little, but I tend to like the detail and impact this can give. Yes, my choice, not everyone's.... I'll admit, but wouldn't life be boring if we all turned out exactly the same images :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing the image I'm in. Yes, it was a bit more of an issue to get in to the scrum at times... maybe due to the layout of where the aircraft were and where we had to get to. Personally, I preferred the layout of the aircraft last time, but here we had more to work with which was good given the less than clement conditions outside... and it was good that it was different. However, Neil and Pete (and Steve) did try to get everyone to move around to let others in to get their shots, but clearly some were more willing to obey than others. At least the end were plenty of subjects to go and look at if the scrum became unbearable... which is what I did a few times. I've a few group shots somewhere .... must have a look at these and see if they're suitable for upload.

Avionics6

Post by Avionics6 »

Still finding it to be worth to revisit one or two images, and try some black and white too
ImageMonochrome ripple by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Avionics6

Post by Avionics6 »

There is something very appealing about the two-seaters.
ImageJaguar T2A Monochrome by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

jag636

Post by jag636 »

Simply stunning set of pics the subjects are well possed and great images and atmospheric thanks for :clap:
Member of Newark air museum and trustee/acquisitions officer just trying to save what we all love and thats history

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Nice pics, not got round to mine yet!

As others have said the colour balance does seem a bit on the yellow side - even for your B&W images, but if it's intentional and it's the look you're going for then that's fine as well. If it's not intentional then you might want to get your monitor/s colour corrected.

Avionics6

Post by Avionics6 »

jalfrezi wrote:Nice pics, not got round to mine yet!

As others have said the colour balance does seem a bit on the yellow side - even for your B&W images, but if it's intentional and it's the look you're going for then that's fine as well. If it's not intentional then you might want to get your monitor/s colour corrected.

Thanks for the feedback and comments; the colours are, as you mentioned, intentional. I find the "as shot" images a little "cold" so warm them by sliding the WB to the right a little - just my preference! The black and white ones are also adjusted to one of the slight sepia tones in silver efex as, again, I find that the pure greys can look a little harsh and lacking in warmth... that can suit some 1970s period images (such as the railway Bradford and barton books of old) but I find that adding a slight sepia tone (not full.. just slight) adds a little warmth. For the railway images, this can work very well, especially if looking to emulate some of the style from Colin Gifford.
But overall, yes the colour ones are selectively pushed to make the subject stand out... and in some cases, to push the back ground back. Its a different style from most that I like to try to get something "different".

Avionics6

Post by Avionics6 »

jag636 wrote:Simply stunning set of pics the subjects are well possed and great images and atmospheric thanks for :clap:

Thanks for the comments... it's nice to see one's work appreciated . :smile:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Fair play to you then, I had a brief look at some of your other Flickr shots and I see what you're saying about the B&W train shots (Oliver Cromwell), they work very well (not that trains are really my thing!)

Avionics6

Post by Avionics6 »

jalfrezi wrote:Fair play to you then, I had a brief look at some of your other Flickr shots and I see what you're saying about the B&W train shots (Oliver Cromwell), they work very well (not that trains are really my thing!)

Thanks :smile: Of course... the preference for a slightly yellow tint could suggest an ageing of eyesight too... clearly I'm no spring chicken any more :hypno:
J

Avionics6

Post by Avionics6 »

Wivel still found a few that warranted a little editing to tidy up... the red white and blue did look lovely.
ImageRipple profile by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

wallace

Post by wallace »

Toned monochromes that's the word!

I'd love to do some of the beautiful deep contrast work that the TLE train photographers make but it never seems to fit with the aircraft.