Short SC1 XG905 Ulster museum

Short SC1 XG905 Ulster museum

Postby glyn on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:12 am

This one does not get seen too often so whilst in Northern ireland on holiday i had to see her.She has been on my to see list for way too long.

ImageXG905 by Glyn Fuller, on Flickr

ImageXG905 by Glyn Fuller, on Flickr

Looks well looked after.
Glyn
glyn

Re: Short SC1 XG905 Ulster museum

Postby zigzag on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 9:28 am

Nice to see such a rarity.

There were some brave test pilots around back in the day, you wouldnt get me near this one, if it looks right it flies right, and this doesnt look right at all.
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT
zigzag

Postby jalfrezi on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 10:37 am

Very nice, certainly much better placed than the Science Museum's example!
jalfrezi

Postby glyn on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 11:17 am

There were some brave test pilots around back in the day, you wouldnt get me near this one, if it looks right it flies right, and this doesnt look right at all.[/quote]

Most footage i have seen has her tethered and looked none too stable but i guess lessons were learned.
Glyn
glyn

Postby AlexC on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 3:30 pm

I seem to remember that it's nickname was 'Strange Contraption 1'. Very apt!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Wyvernfan on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 6:57 pm

Yes many thanks for the photos of what was a truly amazing flying machine. Most people get carried away with Spitfires and WW2 in general so it's good to remember these more obscure types and those who put their lives on the line in peacetime as well.

Rob
Wyvernfan

Postby Wissam24 on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:36 am

Nice to see.

Well, I use the word "nice"...
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby jag636 on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:17 am

5 engines make it unique alone let alone the fact that this is not strapped to a wall and missing one wing and undercarriage though a test aircraft it was a ground breaker. Setting up for the next step being the Harrier and the thousands of hours of pleasure that brought, thanks for sharing :clap: :clap:
jag636

Return to Warbird & Classic Jet Photos