Short SC1 XG905 Ulster museum

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
glyn

Short SC1 XG905 Ulster museum

Post by glyn »

This one does not get seen too often so whilst in Northern ireland on holiday i had to see her.She has been on my to see list for way too long.

ImageXG905 by Glyn Fuller, on Flickr

ImageXG905 by Glyn Fuller, on Flickr

Looks well looked after.
Glyn

zigzag

Re: Short SC1 XG905 Ulster museum

Post by zigzag »

Nice to see such a rarity.

There were some brave test pilots around back in the day, you wouldnt get me near this one, if it looks right it flies right, and this doesnt look right at all.
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Very nice, certainly much better placed than the Science Museum's example!

glyn

Post by glyn »

There were some brave test pilots around back in the day, you wouldnt get me near this one, if it looks right it flies right, and this doesnt look right at all.[/quote]

Most footage i have seen has her tethered and looked none too stable but i guess lessons were learned.
Glyn

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I seem to remember that it's nickname was 'Strange Contraption 1'. Very apt!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Wyvernfan

Post by Wyvernfan »

Yes many thanks for the photos of what was a truly amazing flying machine. Most people get carried away with Spitfires and WW2 in general so it's good to remember these more obscure types and those who put their lives on the line in peacetime as well.

Rob

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Nice to see.

Well, I use the word "nice"...
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

jag636

Post by jag636 »

5 engines make it unique alone let alone the fact that this is not strapped to a wall and missing one wing and undercarriage though a test aircraft it was a ground breaker. Setting up for the next step being the Harrier and the thousands of hours of pleasure that brought, thanks for sharing :clap: :clap:
Member of Newark air museum and trustee/acquisitions officer just trying to save what we all love and thats history