G-RNHF Test Flights

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

G-RNHF Test Flights

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Decided to mug off old Warden Sunday given the weather forecast and take a chance on North Weald on Saturday instead. Really happy with that decision - turned out to be a great day with two test flights for the RNHF Sea Fury, as well as activity at Hangar 11, Swords Aviation, Gnat Display Team and the new Air Ambulance in some great light.

BAC Jet Provost T.5P G-VIVM (XS230) - Swords Aviation Ltd, North Weald, September 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Hawker Sea Fury T20 VX281 (G-RNHF) - Royal Navy Historic Flight - North Weald, September 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

AgustaWestland AW169 G-HHEM - Hertfordshire Air Ambulance - North Weald, September 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

AgustaWestland AW169 G-HHEM - Hertfordshire Air Ambulance - North Weald, September 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Didn't really think my positioning through for the first flight of the Sea Fury, so photos were a lot of engine and not much else...

Hawker Sea Fury T20 VX281 (G-RNHF) - Royal Navy Historic Flight - North Weald, September 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Spitfire emerged from the hangar, so nip across to watch that one go while the Sea Fury was away...

Supermarine Spitfire PR MkXI PL965 'R' (G-MKXI) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, September 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire PR MkXI PL965 'R' (G-MKXI) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, September 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Chocks away!

New arrivals at the airfield parked along this taxiway somewhat spoil the clean backdrops formerly available - just a small window of opportunity before the background is filled with RV8s and their associated clutter.

Gnats are around the corner, so a quick grab-shot when I heard them call up for taxy...

Folland Gnat T.1 G-RORI / XR538 - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, September 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

The Centaurus trails a smokey haze in its wake...

BAC Jet Provost T.5P G-VIVM (XS230) - Swords Aviation Ltd, North Weald, September 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Folland Gnat T.1 G-RORI / XR538 - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, September 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

A quick shuffle of aeroplanes was on the cards ready for today's flight to Old Warden, and with a full compliment of engineering staff not requiring any assistance pushing the Spitfire, I could quickly grab these while the Mustang was out in the evening sun...

North American P-51D Mustang 472035 "Tall In The Saddle" (G-SIJJ) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, September 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

North American P-51D Mustang 472035 "Tall In The Saddle" (G-SIJJ) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, September 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

vulcan558

Re: G-RNHF Test Flights

Post by vulcan558 »

How often are those Jps fly,
Ive seen a JP almost everyday this last week, seems to be heading from Leicester towards Coventry way.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Three flights on Saturday Rich, but they're all local, usually to the east.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

You can almost hear the noise coming through the photo on the Spit Engine Run up! :clap:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Three flights on Saturday Rich, but they're all local, usually to the east.

Cheers Dan, must be one at Coventry then.
Seen it pretty much every day this week. Same route from Leicester, must be VFR along the M69 in to Cov.
Can never catch it until its gone over so just see the arse end of it.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Lovely as always Dan - some beautiful machines there aren't there? :love:

Is it unusual to see the Spitfire running with no-one in the cockpit?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

CJS wrote:Is it unusual to see the Spitfire running with no-one in the cockpit?

Very! Good job there was someone in it that time though. (He's left forward, you can still see the top of his flying helmet)

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

CJS wrote:Lovely as always Dan - some beautiful machines there aren't there? :love:

Is it unusual to see the Spitfire running with no-one in the cockpit?

We're doing ok at the moment, but the Sea Fury will be back at Yeovilton before long. There's a new Harvard there I still haven't seen yet, and a Stearman I don't often photograph, but it's usually quite good in August/September as the seaside shows bring in some visiting types.

Honestly enjoyed Saturday more than I've enjoyed some airshows. There are quiet periods, but I enjoy being on the airfield around the vintage types.

Regarding the Spitfire, you'll never see it! Look again, he's just leaning forward, probably adjusting something.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Very good. Long time since I've been to North Weald, must have been back in the days when they held regular air shows there, and I lived a lot closer. I can even remember when they had regular air shows on what used to be called 'Whit Monday'.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Very very nice Dan. I'm not sure how accurate the high gloss finish on the Sea Fury is - I genuinely don't know - but it very much makes a photograph or two for you there!

Its impossible to tire of PT's fleet either. Gorgeous one and all.

CJS

Post by CJS »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Regarding the Spitfire, you'll never see it! Look again, he's just leaning forward, probably adjusting something.

Oh yeah! Tying his bootlaces I expect. :joystick:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Mike

Post by Mike »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:I'm not sure how accurate the high gloss finish on the Sea Fury is - I genuinely don't know.

It's not accurate at all, the T20s wore silver with yellow training bands in FAA service, but that's the scheme it came from the US in and the owners have decided to retain it.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Well, yes, I understand that, its got an FB.11 scheme - its the glossiness I wasn't sure on.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Well, yes, I understand that, its got an FB.11 scheme - its the glossiness I wasn't sure on.

VR930 was repainted into gloss and that was supposed to be an authentic scheme (although I much preferred the old colours it wore), so I guess it's right. The Sea Vixen and Sea Hawk were also gloss, as were RN Phantoms (?), so maybe it was for protection against the ocean air and water?

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Wrexham Mackem wrote:Well, yes, I understand that, its got an FB.11 scheme - its the glossiness I wasn't sure on.

VR930 was repainted into gloss and that was supposed to be an authentic scheme (although I much preferred the old colours it wore), so I guess it's right. The Sea Vixen and Sea Hawk were also gloss, as were RN Phantoms (?), so maybe it was for protection against the ocean air and water?

The gloss is a nice touch i think.
It was used in service and very good for preservation airframes for its low maintenance and all-around protection.

Nice on a summers day and these airframes do lots of seaside shows that the gloss protects from the sea salt spray environment.

The Vulcan xh558 being a good example, its lasts it protects and it looks good.