New Spitfire FSM arrives in Kent

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Auster_9

New Spitfire FSM arrives in Kent

Post by Auster_9 »

Last week, a few of you may have seen a Spitfire FSM being roaded around the M25 enroute to its new home in Kent.

Ordered by a lifelong devotee of Robert Stanford Tuck, the Spitfire was constructed by GateGuards down in Cornwall, using a totally new plug and mold, which will now form the basis for all early Marques of the classic design. I have to admit that I'm not a Spitfire person myself and due to the nature of my present role within the company as researcher, I have had to learn a lot over the last few months and have had some wonderful support from a lot of lovely people. From Shuttleworth with their Mk.5, Duxford with EP120 and BM597 and then Boultbees at Goodwood, I am rather pleased with the end result. Had a few sleepless nights over one or two points, but think what we have produced is worthy of the marque.

Anyone can create a shape that looks like a Spitfire its the adding of the detail and the finishing that shows that this FSM is rather unique. What with a turning propeller and suitable amplified sound effects it should go to annoy the neighbours for many years to come.

For the prop, please have a look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDnicnV4RY

ImageDSCF7570 by Martin Pengelly, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1905 by Martin Pengelly, on Flickr

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Re: New Spitfire FSM arrives in Kent

Post by tankbuster81 »

Private residence, or a public place?
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Auster_9

Post by Auster_9 »

tankbuster81 wrote:Private residence, or a public place?

Private residence I am afraid. But can be easily be seen from the road. Property is in Longfield near Dartford.

ImageIMG_1921 by Martin Pengelly, on Flickr

Martin

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

I drove past on the way home from Brands Hatch at the weekend, did a big double-take! :grin:

Auster_9

Post by Auster_9 »

grant_w wrote:I drove past on the way home from Brands Hatch at the weekend, did a big double-take! :grin:

Think a lot of people did when we were installing it last Thursday. Was almost a queue of traffic in the early evening with people slowing down for a gawp.