Airlander - 5th flight - UPDATED

Postby alisdairanderson on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 9:00 pm

Airlander10 flew again this evening; I've managed a few shots of it, but just sorted out this one so far, as it flies past the massive Sheds at Cardington, where it is based.

With very grateful thanks to one of my friends for a short notice trip....

Cheers
Alisdair

Last edited by alisdairanderson on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alisdairanderson

Re: Airlander - 5th flight

Postby Alexe on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 9:41 pm

Wow, that has to be the best photo i've seen of it, fantastic
Alexe

Postby alisdairanderson on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 5:03 am

A couple of others:

Thanks
Alisdair
alisdairanderson

Postby Tobyone1985 on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 6:24 am

Excellent set, the shot over the woods is my favourite.
Tobyone1985

Postby Wes_Howes on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 7:23 am

Great shots Alisdair, that first one is a cracker :clap:
Wes_Howes

Postby alisdairanderson on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 5:28 pm

and a couple more....

Thanks for the comments; the first shot is one I have been very keen to try ever since the Airship emerged from Cardington Sheds, but wasn't sure if I could get the trip arranged at short notice!

That's all for now....

Cheers,
Alisdair
alisdairanderson

Re: Airlander - 5th flight - UPDATED

Postby jag636 on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 6:10 pm

The last shot really sets it up as a very majestic airship mmmh how about calling it the R102 as a mark of respect to the old lineage she picks up from, a fantastic achievement to at least see it fly. New horizons and halcyon days beckon for aviation :clap: :clap: :worship:
jag636

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 6:42 pm

I like the air-to-air images.

Naming her the R102 would, in my view, be totally inappropriate and in poor taste. R101 is a chapter of British aviation to be ashamed of, not celebrated. Lives lost needlessly due to hubris, incompetence and rank bad engineering. They're buried in Cardington graveyard. Let them lie there with dignity. Airlander is a new chapter, which needs no ties with our less-than-glorious lighter-than-air past.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Roughcutter on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 8:22 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Naming her the R102 would, in my view, be totally inappropriate and in poor taste. R101 is a chapter of British aviation to be ashamed of, not celebrated. Lives lost needlessly due to hubris, incompetence and rank bad engineering. They're buried in Cardington graveyard. Let them lie there with dignity. Airlander is a new chapter, which needs no ties with our less-than-glorious lighter-than-air past.

Nonsense, I think R102 would show great respect to the airship linage of Cardington, especially to the crew who died in the 101. Personally I'd call it the R101A. :clap: :clap: :clap: :worship: :worship:
Great set of shots by the way.
Roughcutter

Postby Tomahawk on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:36 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I like the air-to-air images.

Why focus just on the R101, why not the R100 which was a very successful design? Continuing the R1** series seems reasonably logical although the R102 was a relatively advanced design according to Wikipedia and had been allocated a G reg (G-FAAX) so might have to be the R103.
Tomahawk

Postby Alpha Delta 210 on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 9:50 pm

Great images. Thanks for sharing.
Alpha Delta 210

Postby alisdairanderson on Sun 17 Sep 2017, 5:26 am

Hi,

For info, the test range of Airlander10 has now been extended to 75 miles, and up to 7000ft..... there was an announcement on HAV's news feed recently.....

Thanks
Alisdair
alisdairanderson

Postby planenuttoo on Sun 17 Sep 2017, 8:16 am

More reports of UFO's to come then. It does look good, and the pics are great.
planenuttoo

Return to Airline & Commercial Aviation Photos