Madrid in March

Madrid in March

Postby JohnH on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 11:58 am

At the end of March, I escaped a for few days to the sunshine at Madrid. All the viewing was done from the ‘mound’ near Terminal 4 overlooking the airport. I stayed at the Hotel Marriot Auditorium. Since my last visit here, most of the rooms with a view over part of the airport have had the windows screened. I asked for a room with a view of the airport and was fortunate enough to be given one of the few rooms with clear windows.

As can be expected most or the Spanish airlines fleets can be seen here. Nearly all of the Air Europa B787’s can be seen in a day or two. Only one eluded me and it was suspected that this was in a hangar somewhere. Below is a selection of the photos. All nicely compressed by Photobucket.

If you wish, more can be seen on my website at: http://johnhumephotography.zenfolio.com/p111271669

Cubana IL-96, CU-T1251

Plus Ultra A340, EC-MQM

Saudi B787, HZ-AR12

Lufthansa A321, D-AIRK in New colours

Wamos A330, EI-GFF

China Airlines B787, B-1468

Aerolineas Argentines A340, LV-FPV in Skyteam colours

Smartwing B737/8, OK-TSW

Air Europa A330, EC-LQO

ULS Cargo A310F, TC-LER

Iberia Express A321, EC-JLI

Global Express, M-ARGO

Iberia A319, EC-KBX

Air Europa B787, EC-MLT

Aerolineas Argentines A340, LV-FPU

Evelop A330, EC-LXA

Air Europa A33, EC-LXR

Iberia/Air Nostrum RJ, EC-LOK

Aeromexico B787, XA-ADH

DHL B757, D-ALEQ
JohnH

Re: Madrid in March

Postby lambo17841 on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 8:29 am

Nice shots John

Going myself later in year,just out of interest what size lens did you use on the mound?
Looking at taking a 18-300 would that be okay or do you need longer?

John in Seaford
lambo17841

Postby JohnH on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 4:24 pm

Hi John

You could possibly get away with the 18-300. They come reasonably close to the mound, but I think you would be nearer 300 all the time. I was using my 50-500 which gave me a bit of scope. One thing you need to be aware of is heat ripple. It may not look as if there is any but the camera will pick it up especially on long distance shots.

If you are going to use the 'mound' for viewing be sure to take some liquids with you as there are no facilities or shelter at all in the vicinity. We had a car for shelter and to sit in when required as well as somewhere to store a few bottles. Have a good time.
JohnH

Postby lambo17841 on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 6:38 pm

Hi John

Thanks for the info,looks like my Bigma then.

John
lambo17841

Postby Danmadole on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 7:12 am

Some of those trees are starting to encroach at the bottom of your pics. Maybe the lower mound would avoid them? I see a few guys there in one of your pics.
Danmadole

Return to Airline & Commercial Aviation Photos