Sion 1986

Aviation related video clips and links
Pablo

Sion 1986

Post by Pablo »

Yes, there's many events taking place this weekend but something else for the bank holiday - nigh-on 50 minutes of fantastic 1980s airshow footage from one amazing Swiss show. Mirage III, Vikings, Mosquito, Harrier GR3, many teams (including Patrouille Martini in their SF.260 days), lots of solo aerobatics and stunning videography throughout - win from start to finish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcLulSCnUN0

st24

Re: Sion 1986

Post by st24 »

A great video, some amazing flying there! Never realised the Tigers F-5E duo were around in the '80s pity they only made it over here in '91. Mystere and Spanish CL215 are impressive to see as well as the aeros and home team. Must have been an impromptu Laarbruch 15Sqn display as can't recall them being on the circuit, and to display with tanks was never the norm. Nice use of the mountain by the Vikings and Mirage IIIs!
One thing though, isn't the rather well presented SF260 team the Alpi Eagles?? Can't recall seeing Patrouille Martini without liberal branding all over them.
As said, an excellent production and a superb find sir! :up: :clap:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Ha - I thought you might post on this one! Tigers F-5Es - weren't they at Mildenhall 95 and 96 too? (Pat Suisse colours first time, standard grey the second) - unless they were a different lot? Haven't watched this all the way through for a good few weeks but I think both SF260 teams appear - Alpi Eagles and Martini. Wish I could have seen the Eagles for myself - all the YouTube footage I've watched is stunning. Almost fell off my chair when I realised they visited the UK (Yeovilton for one) the same year. Agreed - super stuff, isn't it!

st24

Post by st24 »

Yeh, I guess they were the Tigers duo thinking about it, amazing what you pass off as something else.. I must admit I have skimmed through the footage and may have missed the Martini team but the Eagles certainly presented themselves well. Amazing to think that OFMC and the Mossie regularly made such long forays into Europe. Sion certainly put on a show, I seem to recall the '82 display featured a Mirage IIIRS that inadvertently broke the sound barrier... :win:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!