Recent Woodford Airshow 1992 Videos

Aviation related video clips and links

harkins

Re: Recent Woodford Airshow 1992 Videos

Post by harkins »

That US Navy Hornet (second to last link), wow, just wow! I was there that day but I don't recall that rather dramatic take off twenty five years on.

Those really were the halcyon days of airshows. Even a small non-military airfield up north could hold a show that today would be only second to RIAT. I really do miss the Woodford show. Well, I miss all the numerous shows we had back then. Thanks for posting those videos.

edit: Just recalled that it was in fact that extremely tragic day for the show too.

AndyXH558

Re: Recent Woodford Airshow 1992 Videos

Post by AndyXH558 »

Remember it like it was yesterday especially the arrival days. Had absolutely no knowledge that the SU27 pair was going to be there. I turned up in my mini and saw a TU134 and thought .... huh? next to it a red white and blue SU27 ( the second one didnt turn up till Thursday.) Then I knew we were going to be in for a great show.

Thursday the F18s and F14 turned up as well as the silver lightning F6 which beat up the runway before she landed.

The friday we got a couple of Phantoms a load of hawks and a display by the f14 and the F18 which the SU27 pair were just about to line up for their display when the F18 pilot said over the radio... "beat that Ruskie" think it was in revenge for the russians beating the americans at Golf ( they stayed at the Mottram Hall Hotel which has a very good golf course) well starting off with a performance take off , almost lifting the nose on the brakes being taken off into a tail slide kinda beat them.

We were even blessed (for once) with great weather on the day. That F18 didnt half have a near miss on take off...

But alas the most abiding memory was David Moore in the Rolls Royce spitfire sadly pulling out of a loop too slow to recover and sadly hitting the ground in a huge fireball, sadly Dave died instantly. The airshow was stopped and all those who were walking round static suddenly blocked the taxiways when the emergency services arrived. Stratton Richie tried to disperse what he called the Ghouls away from the crowd line.

The airshow was restarted a couple of hours later.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!