"Miss Velma" TF-51 Crash Interview/Analysis Vid

Aviation related video clips and links
Tommy
UKAR Staff

"Miss Velma" TF-51 Crash Interview/Analysis Vid

Post by Tommy »

Credit to Sam for linking me to this, but here's a really interesting video interview with Mark Levy discussing the components of Miss Velma's crash at Legends last summer, including some very striking cockpit footage. You can see how agonisingly close to the airfield Mark is before deciding (correctly) to turn away from it and ditch in the corn field.

Credit to Mr. Levy, he's professional, open about what he did right and what he did wrong, how it happened, and on his thoughts for the future. Good news, too, that Miss Velma is scheduled to be airshow flying again this summer.

Well worth putting the kettle on and sitting back to watch this.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBpqvPujZgM[/youtube]

The Air Safety Institute account itself is fascinating (if a little bit macabre in places), and one I've followed for a while, as it does things like logging mostly US crashes and accidents, and documents how/why they happened, and focuses on how pilots can improve and what lessons can be learnt.

Weather Watcher

Re: "Miss Velma" TF-51 Crash Interview/Analysis Vid

Post by Weather Watcher »

Fascinating - thanks for posting.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Seconded. Would never have found this on youtube so thanks for sharing. Just as interesting for me was the different thought processes that were going on throughout the 104 seconds not just the actual footage of the incident. Especially interesting when you go back and read the various opinions and hypothesis that people were posting on here and elsewhere immediately after it happened.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

starbuck wrote:Especially interesting when you go back and read the various opinions and hypothesis that people were posting on here and elsewhere immediately after it happened.

Possible that I've missed a load, but personally, I don't recall seeing many posts on here about this incident, tbf.

In any event, it's not just to prevent gutter-press scraping these forum threads looking for a combination of words that'll make a delightfully misrepresentative headline (which, trust me, they do) that's the reason UKAR mods repeat ad infinitum that we don't want speculation on here immediately after accidents.

Such speculation and the "I reckon" style of analysis, which is of no value to anyone other than the person posting it so they can feel a part of things, often ages really horribly in the space of a couple of weeks. It's to help stop our members looking quite so stupid when reasoned and detailed analysis and assessment eventually comes out. As it does here.

Of course, myself chief amongst them, some UKARians are beyond all help insofar as not looking stupid is concerned. :lol:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Thanks for the heads up on this one, it is quite an insight. A fascinating watch

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i watched this, really interesting.

i find it interesting how he points out the things he could have done differently, but ultimately, he's alive, no one on the ground was hurt and the plane has been repaired. can't ask for a better crash landing than that