September Air Show 2017

Re: September Air Show 2017

Postby Jumbo on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 4:06 pm

Legends arrived at 11:45, and there was only light traffic, and last year i got to the September show at 1:00 and yet again there was not much traffic. They seem to be pretty good at keeping the traffic moving at Duxford.
Jumbo

Postby tuska2 on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 4:25 pm

Unless you are trying to get out...
tuska2

Postby Gripenjetphotos on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 4:09 pm

Wow, lineup is looking great this year! I suddenly seem to be going this year with a gold membership thanks in no part to my close family, roll on Duxford! :yahoo:
Unofficially promoting the SAAB Gripen in Britain!
Instsagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/
Gripenjetphotos

Postby iainpeden on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 7:06 pm

B_Tank88 wrote:I may be giving this a shot, will be travelling from Leicester so will be a 2 hour journey but will try make it early. What is a good time to aim for reaching the venue to miss traffic? Will be my first Duxford visit.

The shuttle bus from Trumpington is worth getting if you can manage with not having a car to drag everything around. It saves on the parking charge and means you are out quickly. The issue from Leicester could be the A14 from Huntingdon as there are major roadworks at present.
iainpeden

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 8:13 pm

I understand the tank bank is shut at Legends to allow a closer display line, so what is this show going to be like in comparison?
How was the May show this year in terms of the distance? Looking at people's pictures, it didn't seem too bad.

Thanks!
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby Jumbo on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 10:16 pm

The tank bank is closed for all Duxford shows now, not just legends, so the last september show had the same display distance as Legends.
Jumbo

Postby hmeasures on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 9:03 pm

iainpeden wrote:
B_Tank88 wrote:I may be giving this a shot, will be travelling from Leicester so will be a 2 hour journey but will try make it early. What is a good time to aim for reaching the venue to miss traffic? Will be my first Duxford visit.

The shuttle bus from Trumpington is worth getting if you can manage with not having a car to drag everything around. It saves on the parking charge and means you are out quickly. The issue from Leicester could be the A14 from Huntingdon as there are major roadworks at present.

The A14 roadworks are really no bother, just a bit of 40mph average speed check that normally only adds about 5 minutes on the journey most weekends. Gets a bit snarled up weekdays but then, it is the A14 :lol: Just check make sure that it's not closed overnight as they have been doing that occasionally.
hmeasures

Postby spellow3010 on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 10:24 am

Jumbo wrote:The tank bank is closed for all Duxford shows now, not just legends, so the last september show had the same display distance as Legends.

I thought May was very distant to be honest. As an example, got no 'keepers' of The Blades at all apart from their ground taxy back to the park. One example. I was between the American Air Museum building and the Land Warfare Museum buildings. As close to the old Tank Bank as I could get. M11 end may be better.
spellow3010

Postby tuska2 on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 4:02 pm

Positioned there, you did well to see anything between the camper vans, Giant TV, fairground rides and Burger vans! unless you are 8ft tall and ride a "Penny
Farthing" of course! Oh, I was the guy in the Ronald MacDonald boots...
tuska2

Postby B_Tank88 on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 1:17 pm

Weekend pass bought for this, will be staying overnight in Baldock.

Looking forward!
B_Tank88

Postby Paul-H on Tue 22 Aug 2017, 4:25 pm

Just booked my ticket, can only go on Sunday, whats the best time to arrive. what time do the gates open at these events.

Not been to an airshow since the late 70's when I went to Farnborough and that was the only one I ever went to so this will be all new to me again

Thanks

Paul
Paul-H

Postby Mooshie1956 on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 10:23 pm

Could do with some advice from the locals.
As I come down from the North and With A14/M11 roadworks ongoing, I was looking at the maps and wondering if it would be better to turn off the A14 at Huntingdon and come down the A1(M) and come in from the Royston side. I have no idea if the A1(M) is a duel carriageway and as fast to travel along as the A14.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-300 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens
Mooshie1956

Postby SuffolkBlue on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 6:38 am

Mooshie1956 wrote:Could do with some advice from the locals.
As I come down from the North and With A14/M11 roadworks ongoing, I was looking at the maps and wondering if it would be better to turn off the A14 at Huntingdon and come down the A1(M) and come in from the Royston side. I have no idea if the A1(M) is a duel carriageway and as fast to travel along as the A14.

You're still better off coming down the A14 / M11 route. It'll be busy but the traffic flows through at a weekend (in my experience). Weekdays are a bit more tricky though!
SuffolkBlue

Postby Mooshie1956 on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 10:47 am

Thanks, I came down the A14 M11 for Legends and didn't have any problems, I was just giving it a bit of thought. It's bad enough not getting home till near 10pm.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-300 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens
Mooshie1956

Postby Roughcutter on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 6:29 pm

Mooshie, if you're worried about the roadworks on the A14 then here's a very good alternative, like yourself I also come from "up norf". Come off the A14 just past Huntingdon (junc 24) and off the roundabout pick up the A1198 to Royston, admittedly not a dual carriageway but it is a quiet road and as straight as a die, takes you direct to the A505 Royston bypass, it takes you past Little Gransden, Bassingbourne and Fowlmere. Check it out on google maps, it's the only way I go to Duxy these days :up:
MarkL
Roughcutter

Postby Beech18Boy on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 10:35 pm

Really surprised no one has put this on here as yet.

http://www.flypast.com/2017/08/21/twelv ... -air-show/
Beech18Boy

Postby Elliott Marsh on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 10:57 pm

A recent update includes the addition of Shuttleworth's Lysander and Sea Hurricane, a second C-47, P-51D Mustang 'The Shark', the twin stick Air Leasing Buchon, Yak-3 'White 100' and, making a return after seven years, Peter Teichman's Hurricane IIb - the seventh Hurricane on the list.

Quite the line-up!

RAF Falcons
BBMF - Lancaster, Spitfire & Hurricane
Great War Display Team
Tiger Nine
Yak-3 x2 (Will Greenwood/Air Leasing)
Hawker Fury
Hawker Nimrod x2
Gladiator x2
Lysander
Blenheim
Buchon x2 (Air Leasing/ARCo)
B-17 Flying Fortress
Catalina
C-47 Skytrain x2
P-40C
Hawk 75
Corsair
Wildcat
Bearcat
Fury FB11
MiG-15
Vampire x2
P-51D Mustang x2 (Boultbee/NSF)
Hawker Hurricane x6 (civilian)
Spitfire/Seafire x13 (civilian)
Elliott Marsh

Postby Seamus on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 7:09 am

That's an outrageous list! More quality added, especially pleased to see WHITE 100 included, one of my favourite machines that doesn't get out too often :love:
My shots on Flickr and Airliners
Seamus

Postby st24 on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 9:39 am

Nice. But they're still confident of 2 Gladiators?? :dunno:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 11:49 am

That's actually an incredible list!

st24 wrote:Nice. But they're still confident of 2 Gladiators?? :dunno:

Shuttleworth's Gladiator has flown again recently after its engine trouble at Fly Navy in June, I'm not sure what's happening with TFC's example.
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby st24 on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 12:05 pm

Jakub.Zurek wrote:That's actually an incredible list!

st24 wrote:Nice. But they're still confident of 2 Gladiators?? :dunno:

Shuttleworth's Gladiator has flown again recently after its engine trouble at Fly Navy in June, I'm not sure what's happening with TFC's example.

Due back anytime apparently so ignore my previous post!! :surrender:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby Gripenjetphotos on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 5:30 pm

Looks to be a fantastic lineup! Let's hope the weather keeps up!
Unofficially promoting the SAAB Gripen in Britain!
Instsagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/
Gripenjetphotos

Postby B_Tank88 on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 3:22 pm

With Scampton over, roll on Duxford!

PLEASE can we get better weather this time.
B_Tank88

Postby Elliott Marsh on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 5:04 pm

A shot of the twin-stick Buchón at Sywell last weekend. :cool:

Elliott Marsh

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 2:38 pm

I know beauty's in the eye of the beholder Elliott, and no denying its rarity, but that is a flipping minging thing. Dunno about twin-stick, I think its been beaten with the ugly stick! :grin:
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

PreviousNext

Return to IWM Duxford Events