Spitfire Day - 9 August

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
PhilW

Spitfire Day - 9 August

Post by PhilW »

Duxford celebrates the iconic Spitfire

The legendary Spitfire will be celebrated in grand style at Imperial War Museum
Duxford during Spitfire Day on Sunday 9 August 2009.
It was at historic Duxford in August 1938 that the Spitfire first entered RAF service.
Duxford’s special day pays tribute to this most celebrated combat aircraft, giving
visitors the opportunity to see a variety of Spitfires swoop and dive in the skies over
Duxford.

There will be aerial displays from the following Spitfire operators:
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, Caroline Grace, Historic Aircraft Collection, The
Fighter Collection and Aircraft Restoration Company.

Stephen Woolford MBE, Head of Interpretation and Collections at IWM Duxford, will
give visitors the benefit of his indepth knowledge in his talk about RAF Duxford: The
Spitfire Years 1938-1941.

Squadron Leader Ian Blair, DFM of 602 Squadron, will talk to visitors about the history
of the Spitfire and how it achieved such legendary status.
The Spitfire Society will be on hand to answer visitors’ burning questions about the
aircraft and will talk enthusiastically about the Spitfire and the people who designed,
built, maintained and flew this famous British fighter aircraft.

Visitors can take a journey along the Spitfire Trail, finding out exciting facts about the
Spitfire and its role at Duxford. They will also encounter a costumed character from
the Battle of Britain who will chat to them about what it feels like to fly death-defying
sorties in the Spit.

Duxford’s own historic documentary video will be playing at intervals throughout the
day, recalling life at RAF Duxford in the 1940s.

Join us to celebrate the beauty and ingenuity of the aircraft that earned a special place
in the nation’s heart during the Second World War and is still held in affectionate pride
today.

Ticket Prices:
Child (15 years or under) FREE
Adult (16 - 59 years) £18.00
Senior (60 years or over) £14.40
Student £14.40
Unemployed £9.00
Child, Adult, Senior, Student - disabled £10.80
Carer (one per disabled visitor) FREE
Friends of Duxford Adult £14.40
Friends of Duxford Senior £11.50

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Re: Spitfire Day - 9 August

Post by itfcscott »

Visit the Vulcan Day, Spitfire Day or watch Ipswich on Sky what should I do?

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

itfcscott wrote:Visit the Vulcan Day, Spitfire Day or watch Ipswich on Sky what should I do?

You get 5 seperate Spitfire displays at Duxford, coupled with whatever else goes on. You know it makes sense!

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

EMarsh wrote:
itfcscott wrote:Visit the Vulcan Day, Spitfire Day or watch Ipswich on Sky what should I do?

You get 5 seperate Spitfire displays at Duxford, coupled with whatever else goes on. You know it makes sense!

Trust me I am tempted. Probablt decide closer to the time depending on weather. :smile:

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

itfcscott wrote: or watch Ipswich on Sky what should I do?

I won't be watching on Sky.....I'll be there!! Shame it clashes with the Spitfire Day....

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Thats just showing off, are you a season ticket owner?

jaguarfarewellday

Post by jaguarfarewellday »

Any updates yet :smile:
what we have here is a complete lack of respect for the law !

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Copy and pasted from the Duxford Web Site

All aircraft will be positioned on the grass, east of the control tower, north of the taxiway, for take off, from 10.00am.

Display timings:
12 noon - Grace Spitfire IXT
2.00pm Historic Aircraft Collection Spitfire V, Aircraft Restoration Company Spitfire XT, Old Flying Machine Company Spitfire IXT (3 ship)
2.30pm Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Spitfire Solo

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

jaguarfarewellday

Post by jaguarfarewellday »

Pen Pusher wrote:Copy and pasted from the Duxford Web Site

All aircraft will be positioned on the grass, east of the control tower, north of the taxiway, for take off, from 10.00am.

Display timings:
12 noon - Grace Spitfire IXT
2.00pm Historic Aircraft Collection Spitfire V, Aircraft Restoration Company Spitfire XT, Old Flying Machine Company Spitfire IXT (3 ship)
2.30pm Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Spitfire Solo

Brian

:biggrin: thank you
what we have here is a complete lack of respect for the law !

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

I'm probably asking for a bit to much info here, but does anyone know what Spit it is from the BBMF????
I know it will not be the MK II because this is at Duxford with ARCO, who are doing something (not sure) an overhaul maybe :S.
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

Beefsteak

Post by Beefsteak »

The display Spit that I have seen so far this year has always been "The Last"

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Beefsteak wrote:The display Spit that I have seen so far this year has always been "The Last"

Yh I have only seen the Griffon Spits from the flight this year. I am hoping to see Spitfire MK356 (Mk LFIXe), the Silver, Red nose one. I saw it at Eastbourne last year & I fell in love with the paint scheme, It would lovely against a nice sunny Duxford, with blue skies :biggrin: . I really hope its this one or the MK VB.
Regards

Anthony7

Post by Anthony7 »

has the spitfire day been finalised now? or will there be anymore additions? i would like to see a little bit more...

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Saw the three ship pratice yesterday,,,its looking pretty good :yahoo:
Fingers cross there will be at least some more spits on the apron from historic flying etc.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

jimbob1194 wrote:Saw the three ship pratice yesterday,,,its looking pretty good :yahoo:
Fingers cross there will be at least some more spits on the apron from historic flying etc.

As long as its not the 'Plastic' one :biggrin:

Bet there's no flying when I'm down there tomorrow.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
jimbob1194 wrote:Saw the three ship pratice yesterday,,,its looking pretty good :yahoo:

Brian
I totally agree,,,I spoke to TFC lads yesterday & they are ok, still got the problems with CAA :mad:
Fingers cross they'll get their 2 Spits out aswell. (Doubt they will) Members of the team are finding it hard to work around the hangar because everything is ok apart from the P 47, Falcro etc, Staggerwing still getting a lot of work done on it. The only thing that keeps them going is their fantastic humour :biggrin:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian

well looks like you saw the Cat departing for Sweden & the Grace Spit,,, but no three ship pratice,,, BTW i enjoyed looking at your pics :biggrin: so at least you got flying :yahoo:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

From Bert Lee Fri 07 AUG 2009: Another Spitfire At Duxford
AR213 is reported to have flown into Duxford today to be based there.

Bert.

I know its not on the list for Spitfire day, but that would be nice to see out on the apron, maybe a nice display from AR213 will do nicely :whistle:

James

blue1

Post by blue1 »

Looks like the weathershould play ball, anyone know what time the gates will be open?

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

blue1 wrote:Looks like the weathershould play ball, anyone know what time the gates will be open?

Gates open at 10.00am and the Museum closes at 6.00pm. so normal times :biggrin:
James

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

jimbob1194 wrote:
blue1 wrote:Looks like the weathershould play ball, anyone know what time the gates will be open?

Gates open at 10.00am and the Museum closes at 6.00pm. so normal times :biggrin:
James

But not normal prices.
Ticket Prices:
Child (15 years or under) FREE
Adult (16 - 59 years) £18.00
Senior (60 years or over) £14.40
Student £14.40
Unemployed £9.00
Child, Adult, Senior, Student - disabled £10.80
Carer (one per disabled visitor) FREE
Friends of Duxford Adult £14.40
Friends of Duxford Senior £11.50

And before some one starts moaning, remember the extra people they have to employ for the day. :biggrin:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

so for jo public, the fee for Spitfire day is around £4 above the normal amount that they would pay to enter the museum, for Friends, the fee is £14.40 more than they would normally pay. Not a moan, just searching for rationality and logic.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

There were a lot more people there than I thought there would be. The doors were already open when I arrived at 09.30. The flying programme changed a bit, and probably for the better. Richard Grace was supposed to go up at 12.00 with the others at 14.00 but all the flying was done in one block.

Richard did well for his first public display in the Grace Spitfire and with a bit more practice a more dynamic display . The HAC Mk Vb/ARCo T9/OFMC Mk IX Spitfires then took off for a bit of formation flying and a tail chase. They broke off and the T9 came back for a solo display followed by a pairs display and then they all formed up for a run and break before landing. The BBMF Mk XIX display was a bit of a non event and headed north about half way through its display.

The weather gods were reasonably kind in that it didn't rain but it was cloudy with less frequent breaks for the sunshine.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Pen Pusher wrote:There were a lot more people there than I thought there would be. The doors were already open when I arrived at 09.30. The flying programme changed a bit, and probably for the better. Richard Grace was supposed to go up at 12.00 with the others at 14.00 but all the flying was done in one block.

Richard did well for his first public display in the Grace Spitfire and with a bit more practice a more dynamic display . The HAC Mk Vb/ARCo T9/OFMC Mk IX Spitfires then took off for a bit of formation flying and a tail chase. They broke off and the T9 came back for a solo display followed by a pairs display and then they all formed up for a run and break before landing. The BBMF Mk XIX display was a bit of a non event and headed north about half way through its display.

The weather gods were reasonably kind in that it didn't rain but it was cloudy with less frequent breaks for the sunshine.

Brian

I arrived at roughly 10:30. Was expecting to park in the the museum car park then as looked across saw the gaggle of people waiting to go in. The que went right back. So i had to park in over the otherside of DX, across the bailey bridge. Was a good display by the Grace Spit, though i was dissapointed about BBMF'S Spit 'the last'. Still a good day. I shall upload the vids onto youtube in a few days time, i'll let you all know when i have.
Also just had the Grace Spit go up again and just had a fly about the Cambridgeshire counrtyside, might aswell make the most of the warm weather :biggrin:
James

blue1

Post by blue1 »

pbeardmore wrote:so for jo public, the fee for Spitfire day is around £4 above the normal amount that they would pay to enter the museum, for Friends, the fee is £14.40 more than they would normally pay. Not a moan, just searching for rationality and logic.

Rip Off IMHO may be alone on this, but having queued up for nearly an hour to get in, paying £28 (FOD Members) they could have at least brought the other Spitfires out of the hangers, even if static. :loser:

The Pilots that did fly made a very good effort :clap: :clap: :clap:
Shame Duxford didn't make the most of what they have.