Duxford Air Show 2009 September 5 & 6

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
jimbob1194

Duxford Air Show 2009 September 5 & 6

Post by jimbob1194 »

Just thought i would let you know what the list is for September Air Show at DX:
Red Arrows (last display item) (F)
Typhoon F2 (F)
Hawk T1 (F)
The Blades (F)
BBMF Spitfire and Hurricane (F)
BBMF Lancaster (F) (Sunday only)
Chinook HC2 (F)
Aerostars(F)
B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B (F)
F-86 Sabre (F)

Fingers cross for Sally B to be back where she belongs,,,
BTW the Reds are performing only on Saturday 5
Also the Vulcan is NOT displaying in September at this very point, despite it saying on the VTTS website,,, Fingers cross though :biggrin:
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

EMarsh

Re: Duxford Air Show 2009 September 5 & 6

Post by EMarsh »

Pretty good start, hopefully the weather will be good so we can see the full Typhoon routine at DX! (I've only seen the flat/rolling show so far this year). Also good to see the Blades making their Duxford debut. Having seen them all over the country last year, September will only be the second time I'll have seen them in 2009! (Shoreham being the first). The Aerostars, on the other hand, I'll have seen display on 7 or 8 seperate occasions! :shock:

From what was said at Flying Legends by the commentary team, 'Sally B' should be back in the air fairly soon. They seemed confident that the engine problems had been resolved (another engine found, I recall. How many is that? 4?) and that she'd be flying before the end of the year.

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Looking like a very promising show.......hopefully, like most of the Duxford shows recently...the weather doesn't ruin it!!

Are the Typhoon & Red Arrows effected by Stansted airspace?? Meaning that they can only do a "flat" display??

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Just thought i'd say that i believe the best day to go to this display is the Saturday. This is because the Reds are displaying & i have also heard that the typhoon will not be there on Sunday. So most of the best action is Saturday,,, so book early for Saturday ,,, I am :biggrin:

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

SuffolkBlue wrote:Looking like a very promising show.......hopefully, like most of the Duxford shows recently...the weather doesn't ruin it!!

Are the Typhoon & Red Arrows effected by Stansted airspace?? Meaning that they can only do a "flat" display??

I think the Reds flew their 'rolling' display last time they appeared in 2007, despite the weather being pretty good, so quite possibly. However, from memory, the Typhoon performed a full routine in May 2008... :question:

I think they're restricted somewhat by being on the flightpath for Cambridge and Stansted, but they aren't as restricted as Biggin Hill!

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

EMarsh wrote:Pretty good start, hopefully the weather will be good so we can see the full Typhoon routine at DX! (I've only seen the flat/rolling show so far this year). Also good to see the Blades making their Duxford debut. Having seen them all over the country last year, September will only be the second time I'll have seen them in 2009! (Shoreham being the first). The Aerostars, on the other hand, I'll have seen display on 7 or 8 seperate occasions! :shock:

From what was said at Flying Legends by the commentary team, 'Sally B' should be back in the air fairly soon. They seemed confident that the engine problems had been resolved (another engine found, I recall. How many is that? 4?) and that she'd be flying before the end of the year.

AHHH Shoreham,, fingers cross i'll be going to the Sussex coast for this display at Shoreham Airport,,, Though i thought i heard that the Reds are only allowed to do a few flypasts at the airport,,, Do you know why???

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

jimbob1194 wrote:
EMarsh wrote:Pretty good start, hopefully the weather will be good so we can see the full Typhoon routine at DX! (I've only seen the flat/rolling show so far this year). Also good to see the Blades making their Duxford debut. Having seen them all over the country last year, September will only be the second time I'll have seen them in 2009! (Shoreham being the first). The Aerostars, on the other hand, I'll have seen display on 7 or 8 seperate occasions! :shock:

AHHH Shoreham,, fingers cross i'll be going to the Sussex coast for this display at Shoreham Airport,,, Though i thought i heard that the Reds are only allowed to do a few flypasts at the airport,,, Do you know why???

Pretty certain it is to do with the terrain. The surrounding hills of the South Downs and the large, but very impressive, college building to the north-west made the CAA say 'non' to a full display (presumably on safety grounds), despite the Reds apparently checking out the site and agreeing that they'd be able to put on an unhindered full display.

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

EMarsh wrote:
SuffolkBlue wrote:Looking like a very promising show.......hopefully, like most of the Duxford shows recently...the weather doesn't ruin it!!

I think the Reds flew their 'rolling' display last time they appeared in 2007, despite the weather being pretty good, so quite possibly. However, from memory, the Typhoon performed a full routine in May 2008... :question:

I think they're restricted somewhat by being on the flightpath for Cambridge and Stansted, but they aren't as restricted as Biggin Hill!

Just to add a little bit onto this - I last saw the Reds at Duxford at the September 2003 show and that was a full display (on the Sunday at least). Know that's going back a few years, but guess that still makes it possible, weather dependant?

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

EMarsh wrote:
jimbob1194 wrote:

Pretty certain it is to do with the terrain. The surrounding hills of the South Downs and the large, but very impressive, college building to the north-west made the CAA say 'non' to a full display (presumably on safety grounds), despite the Reds apparently checking out the site and agreeing that they'd be able to put on an unhindered full display.

I thought it would be something to do with the surrounding area,,,
Thank You very much
Regards

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Why do Airshows do this!!!

Red Arrows Saturday only
Lancaster Sunday only

NOT FAIR!!! :mad:

I'm going to Shoreham instead of this as the Vulcan and location beats Duxford (for the moment).

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Thumper wrote:Why do Airshows do this!!!

Red Arrows Saturday only
Lancaster Sunday only

NOT FAIR!!! :mad:

I'm going to Shoreham instead of this as the Vulcan and location beats Duxford (for the moment).

In most cases it is the participant, not the show, which makes this decision. In this instance, the Arrows are displaying in Leicestershire and Northern Ireland on Sunday, and are therefore unable to display at Duxford also, as I believe that, apart from the distances involved, they are not permitted to fly more than two displays per day.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Oh right. I just figured it was a marketing ploy to get people to go both days.... my bad :oops: :whistle:

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

I will wait and see what else appears on the line up before I decide if to go on any day. There are a couple of other events happening over the weekend which I am interested in, including Devonport Navy Days.

Monty

Post by Monty »

Miss Demeanour's website has duxford down TBC for this weekend so hopefully she will be there again.
Canon EOS 50D
Canon 18-55mm IS
Canon 70-300mm IS USM F-4.0/5.6

1094 (Ely) Sqn ATC

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Well i recently have seen pics of the TFC'S P 39 Airacobra,, It is being taking apart and being put in a shipping container soon. :confused: Well im confused but does any of you know what is happening to the old girl. Please don't tell me she is going. I will be upset if she does, as im sure you lot will be. Sorry this is nothing to do with September air show, though i really want to know ??
Regards James

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

jimbob1194 wrote:Well i recently have seen pics of the TFC'S P 39 Airacobra,, It is being taking apart and being put in a shipping container soon. :confused: Well im confused but does any of you know what is happening to the old girl. Please don't tell me she is going. I will be upset if she does, as im sure you lot will be. Sorry this is nothing to do with September air show, though i really want to know ??
Regards James

As I already said when I posted the pictures, sold earlier in the year and off to her new owner in the USA.

Back on track, copy and pasted from the Duxford Web
Already confirmed flying participation:

Saturday 5 September – Red Arrows, Eurofighter Typhoon from 29 Squadron, BAE Systems Hawk from 208 Squadron, Embraer Tucano from RAF Linton-on-Ouse, Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster, Spitfire, Hurricane and RAF Chinook from 27 Squadron.

Sunday 6 September – BAE Systems Hawk from 208 Squadron, Embraer Tucano from RAF Linton-on- Ouse, Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster, Spitfire, Hurricane and RAF Chinook from 27 Squadron.

Please note that Vulcan XH558 is not booked to participate in the Duxford Air Show.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Is anyone going on the Friday (4th September)??

Legends is good on a Friday, and Spring air show i have been on a Friday so is September the same as Spring really??

Regards James

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Just in that the Grace Spitfire has been confirmed, I imagine she will display with the other Spits that will probably be put on the list, fingers cross for a fantastic display just like at Spitfire Day the other day :clap: :biggrin:

James

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/upload/pdf/Du ... onList.pdf

Looks like a great line up so far. Can't decide on which day to go on though. Looks more to Sunday as I've seen the Reds and the Typhoon a few times this year already, plus I'll be hopefully seeing them at Southport a few weeks later.

Can we expect anything else to be added or is this the final list?

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Looks like quite a good list, I shall be there with my Dad on the Saturday as it is easier for traveling on the railways :smile:

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

I doubt the RNHF aircraft will make it (fingers crossed that progress has been made, though - they could always sub in the Skyraider and Seafire, I suppose.. :whistle: ), but I'm chuffed to see 'TFC's' Sea Fury T20 on the list. :cool:

Good line-up so far, particularly good to see the Mew Gull and Hawk Speed 6 on the list, given that they had to cancel back in May. The IWM-organised DX shows are sorely missing the TFC warbirds, IMO. Hopefully all is resolved by next year!

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

EMarsh wrote:Good line-up so far, particularly good to see the Mew Gull and Hawk Speed 6 on the list, given that they had to cancel back in May. The IWM-organised DX shows are sorely missing the TFC warbirds, IMO. Hopefully all is resolved by next year!

Agree with all three points. Cosmic Wind and the Yak 18 are two of the highlights for me, as well. Re. the Yak, one would think Mark Jefferies would want a bit of a rest after 12 days of WAC-ing! :shock: :smile:

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Lomcevak26 wrote:
EMarsh wrote:Good line-up so far, particularly good to see the Mew Gull and Hawk Speed 6 on the list, given that they had to cancel back in May. The IWM-organised DX shows are sorely missing the TFC warbirds, IMO. Hopefully all is resolved by next year!

Agree with all three points. Cosmic Wind and the Yak 18 are two of the highlights for me, as well. Re. the Yak, one would think Mark Jefferies would want a bit of a rest after 12 days of WAC-ing! :shock: :smile:

Pete Kynsey's Cosmic Wind displays are something special. The best I've seen was on the Saturday before the Autumn show in 2007. He went up just before the museum closed and put on a cracking routine against a clear blue sky and a stunning sunset. It's also worth adding that the Cosmic Wind is the only aircraft, besides the Typhoon, that I've ever seen flying an inverted cuban-eight. :shock:

The Yak 18 should be great too, Mark Jefferies is one of the best out there. Any idea if he owns the Yak 18, or whether he's "borrowing" it for the weekend?

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

EMarsh wrote:I doubt the RNHF aircraft will make it (fingers crossed that progress has been made, though - they could always sub in the Skyraider and Seafire, I suppose.. :whistle: ), but I'm chuffed to see 'TFC's' Sea Fury T20 on the list. :cool:

Good line-up so far, particularly good to see the Mew Gull and Hawk Speed 6 on the list, given that they had to cancel back in May. The IWM-organised DX shows are sorely missing the TFC warbirds, IMO. Hopefully all is resolved by next year!

I totally agree, TFC has hit the air show scene not only at DX but many other events around the UK who invite TFC. I do miss them a lot. :sad: Especially as this show is showing the history of US Military, We need the P 40, Hellcat, Bearcat and of couse the mighty Corsair, all of those aircraft make me and probably other air show enthusiats a like :drool: when watching them in the graceful skies. Good Luck TFC ! I have decided i am going both days. Working on Sunday in FOD enclosure :grin: of course i shall still watch the display bothe days but don't tell the FOD crew i might skip a bit of work :grin:

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

List updated:

F15s are out, Hunter 'Miss D.', Skyraider, Jungmann and Hawker Demon are in.

:cool: