Duxford Air Show 2009 September 5 & 6

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford Air Show 2009 September 5 & 6

Post by Pen Pusher »

EMarsh wrote:List updated:

F15s are out, Hunter 'Miss D.', Skyraider, Jungmann and Hawker Demon are in.

:cool:

Belgian Agusta 109AB as well

Revised List

JETS
Modern Military

Hawker-Siddeley Hawk x 9 (Saturday only) The Red Arrows, RAF Scampton
Eurofighter Typhoon (Saturday only) 29 Squadron, RAF Coningsby
Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker (flypast) 100th Air Refuelling Wing,
RAF Mildenhall
Hawker-Siddeley Hawk x2 (1 as static) 208 Squadron, RAF Valley

Classic

Folland Gnat Pair (Sunday only) Swept Wing
Hawker Hunter F4 Heritage Aviation Developments
North American F-86 Sabre Golden Apple Operations
Hawker Sea Hawk Royal Navy Historic Flight, RNAS Yeovilton

HELICOPTERS

Agusta 109BA 18 Squadron, Belgian Air Force, Bierset Air Base
Boeing Chinook 27 Squadron, RAF Odiham
Bolkow 117 (static) East Anglian Air Ambulance

HISTORIC PISTON WARBIRDS

American
North American P51TF Mustang The Fighter Collection
North American T28S Fennec Radial Revelations
North American T6 Harvard Aircraft Restoration Company
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress B-17 Preservation
Douglas AD4 Skyraider Kennett Aviation

British
Avro Lancaster, Supermarine Spitfire, Hawker Hurricane Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
Hawker Sea Fury The Fighter Collection
Hawker Hurricane Historic Aircraft Collection
Hawker Demon Demon Displays
Supermarine Spitfire V Historic Aircraft Collection
Supermarine Spitfire IXT Air Leasing
Supermarine Spitfire IXT Aircraft Restoration Company
Supermarine Spitfire XVI Spitfire Limited

German
Messerschmitt Me 109 (Hispano Bouchon) Spitfire Limited

SPORT FLYING
For the first time in over 20 years, the UK is hosting the World Aerobatics Championship this
month at Silverstone. Duxford, renowned for its historic aircraft, will salute this event by hosting
its own aerobatic contest, featuring competition aircraft from the 1960s and 1970s. One current
British Team member, who is competing at Silverstone, will take part, along with British Team
pilots of yesteryear, including a three-times British Champion.

Air Racing
Miles Hawk Speed VI Roger Mills
Percival Mew Gull Real Aeroplane Company
De Havilland Leopard Moth (static) Martin & Kate Slack

Aerobatics
Yakovlev Yak 52 x 6 (Sunday only) The Aerostars
Yakovlev Yak 18 Mark Jefferies Aerobatics
Bucker Jungmann P Kynsey
LeVier Cosmic Wind P Kynsey
Boeing Stearman (static) Golden Apple Operations

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

A109 is flying? That'll be good! :smile:

Ben

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

TheOriginalMonty wrote:A109 is flying? That'll be good! :smile:

Ben

Ben

It only notes the Air Ambulance as static.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

I was considering doing the Shuttleworth Pageant on Sunday, but seeing the complete list here (I'd imagine that is pretty much the full line-up) I think I'll do both days at DX. Plenty of goodness from top to bottom; a repeat of the 'Legends '95 Fury/Hind/Hurricane formation, with the Demon subbing for the Hind, would be something special.

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

EMarsh wrote:I was considering doing the Shuttleworth Pageant on Sunday, but seeing the complete list here (I'd imagine that is pretty much the full line-up) I think I'll do both days at DX. Plenty of goodness from top to bottom; a repeat of the 'Legends '95 Fury/Hind/Hurricane formation, with the Demon subbing for the Hind, would be something special.

Yep im doing both days aswell, shame the F 15s are off the list, though i always enjoy a good hunter display and finally the Hawker Demon :biggrin: :yahoo: Now can we have the HAC's Hawker Nimrod in formation with the demon :whistle:. Or if you want to push it really far a Hawker tribute of the Demon, Nimrod and the Hurricane :whistle:
James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

jimbob1194 wrote:
EMarsh wrote:I was considering doing the Shuttleworth Pageant on Sunday, but seeing the complete list here (I'd imagine that is pretty much the full line-up) I think I'll do both days at DX. Plenty of goodness from top to bottom; a repeat of the 'Legends '95 Fury/Hind/Hurricane formation, with the Demon subbing for the Hind, would be something special.

Yep im doing both days aswell, shame the F 15s are off the list, though i always enjoy a good hunter display and finally the Hawker Demon :biggrin: :yahoo: Now can we have the HAC's Hawker Nimrod in formation with the demon :whistle:. Or if you want to push it really far a Hawker tribute of the Demon, Nimrod and the Hurricane :whistle:
James

I haven't been to Duxford in a while - is HAC's Nimrod still broken? Haven't seen it in any of the Bimble photographs or on Martin Claydon's Duxford Update website - assume it remains at Yeovilton? :question:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

EMarsh wrote:
jimbob1194 wrote:

James

I haven't been to Duxford in a while - is HAC's Nimrod still broken? Haven't seen it in any of the Bimble photographs or on Martin Claydon's Duxford Update website - assume it remains at Yeovilton? :question:

Oh yh well when i went ot DX on Sunday it wasn't there, so yes im gathering it is still at Yeovilton. Though the show is 3 weeks away. Also is there a problem with the Hawker Hind at the Shuttleworth Collection??

James

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Not sure about Old Warden. Yet.

I'm at Northolt for the night shoot on the Thursday and back home in the early hours Friday. Friday/Saturday at Duxford and see how I feel :sleepy: on Sunday.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

jimbob1194 wrote:
EMarsh wrote:
jimbob1194 wrote:

James

Oh yh well when i went ot DX on Sunday it wasn't there, so yes im gathering it is still at Yeovilton. Though the show is 3 weeks away. Also is there a problem with the Hawker Hind at the Shuttleworth Collection??

James

There is indeed, looks quite serious. I'd imagine it'll be on the shelf until 2010, but that's just speculation. Can't remember off the top of my head what the problem has been identified as, though. Which makes the Demon the sole airworthy Kestrel-powered aircraft...in the world *Jeremy Clarkson style*.

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

I have to say the warbird scene in the UK hasn't been at all its best considering TFC's problems, and many problems with other warbirds including the RNHF. I hope 2010 will have everything done, though these aircraft are old ladies now so this will happen. The 2009 air show season has been very good though :biggrin: Thank goodness its not over yet :biggrin:
The good points is that Peter Teichman has been very busy with his aircraft and they have been fantastic to watch, and Sally B started the air show season off and looks like she will be ending so there are some good points aswell :yahoo:
James

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

EMarsh wrote:
jimbob1194 wrote:Also is there a problem with the Hawker Hind at the Shuttleworth Collection??

James

There is indeed, looks quite serious. I'd imagine it'll be on the shelf until 2010, but that's just speculation. Can't remember off the top of my head what the problem has been identified as, though. Which makes the Demon the sole airworthy Kestrel-powered aircraft...in the world *Jeremy Clarkson style*.

The Hind had a leaking cylinder liner. It's hoped that it'll be fixed in time for the October show.

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Pleased Miss D's been added and the Skyraider, shame about the F-15s though. Have decided Sunday is the day to go, haven't seen the Gnat pair this season and I briefly saw the Aerostars display at Cosford whilst waiting in a long queue for the train.

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

According to the BBMF sight the Lancaster is displaying both days at DX. A first display this year at DX with Lanc, Spit and Hurri. :biggrin:

P.S i know that it doesn't say on the list that it isn't displaying on a certain day though at first it said Sunday only. Oh well :rock: :yahoo:

James

Muppet

Post by Muppet »

jimbob1194 wrote:According to the BBMF sight the Lancaster is displaying both days at DX. A first display this year at DX with Lanc, Spit and Hurri. :biggrin:

P.S i know that it doesn't say on the list that it isn't displaying on a certain day though at first it said Sunday only. Oh well :rock: :yahoo:

James

The BBMF website says the Lanc is displaying on both days :biggrin:

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Bit of shuffling been going on...

In:
Tiger Moth
Zlin 526
Stu Goldspink's Pitts Special (static)

Out:
RNHF Sea Fury
Cosmic Wind

Flying is a good length, too - approximately 3hrs 45mins. One of the longer Duxford shows in quite some time!

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

EMarsh wrote:Zlin 526!

Phwoar! :drool: :grin:

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Lomcevak26 wrote:

I've never seen one, so I'm quite looking forward to it. :grin:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

EMarsh wrote:
Lomcevak26 wrote:

Just looks like a Chipmunk on steroids :biggrin:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
EMarsh wrote:
Lomcevak26 wrote:

Brian

So harsh! I've never seen a -526 being really put through its paces - as I'm hoping it will be at DX. Shame Ballerina's gone, though... :sad:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Lomcevak26 wrote: Shame Ballerina's gone, though... :sad:

As in Cosmic Wind Ballerina that was sitting in northside 2 hanger yesterday?

Brian

DfG on Facebook

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Lomcevak26 wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:
EMarsh wrote:
Lomcevak26 wrote:

Brian

So harsh! I've never seen a -526 being really put through its paces - as I'm hoping it will be at DX. Shame Ballerina's gone, though... :sad:

Indeed, quite disappointed at that. However, sounds like we're getting a Pete Kynsey Jungmann display instead, which is always good value. His solo at the May 2008 event stole the show, in my opinion!

Mattster256

Post by Mattster256 »

A zlin 526...that is interesting, the only time i can remember seeing one of those was at an airshow in france, place called Belves, an airshow that is weel worth a look if down in the Dordogne around the 15th of august u get some very interesting aircraft, last year we had a P40 and Replica Zero perform a fantastic tailchase which was awesome. Oops lol, i sidetracked abit, anyway back to the Zlin, although it is pretty much a chipmunk on steriods, it really can be chucked around the sky by the right piolet, id liken it to something like a Yak 52 if i had to, though not quite as powerful, no whaking great radial in the front of it lol.

As for the rest of the line up :clap: :clap: :clap: , good to see some interesting aircraft in a display that isnt Flying legends, i dont believe i've ever seen a hawker demon before, though its a shame about the F15's, although a KC 135 will be interesting!!!
Live life to the full and never look back.

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Lomcevak26 wrote: Shame Ballerina's gone, though... :sad:

As in Cosmic Wind Ballerina that was sitting in northside 2 hanger yesterday?

Brian

Yes, shame its gone from the list, not moved away from DX! (if I'm reading your reply correctly?)

Mattster256

Post by Mattster256 »

I have to admit i'm not all that bummed out that Cosmic Wind isnt in the program, as much as it is a beautiful aircraft, dont get me wrong, it just doesnt really do it for me. Ireckon the guys at duxford could find something much more interesting to take its place.
Live life to the full and never look back.

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

was planning going in on the Friday though the weather isn't looking too good. Still at least if we get rid of the rain before the Air Show then we shall have some decent like Legends, and well Bournemouth air festival :drool: That was baking lovely and sunny.