Duxford Autumn Air Show

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford Autumn Air Show

Post by Pen Pusher »

tankbuster81 wrote: Sabre, the airshow is 2 weeks away ,so maybe hope yet??

Nope. From what I understand the wing has to come off the Sabre just to get at the leak. A job for winter maintenance.

Brian.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

At least the flying it 1330-1630, so there *should* (provided the IWM don't go into "lockdown" mode half an hour earlier...) be a little longer to explore the hangars and enjoy the golden Autumn skies (hah!), post-show.

The past few Autumn shows - from about 2003 onwards, I'd say - have generally been as good as the other DX shows, rather than the older format of a relaxed, gentle day of flying from the based aircraft with a few outsiders thrown in.

Take 2005 for example - KC135, F15E pair, Matadors, Hawk, C130J, Cassutt pair/Cosmic Wind, Dakota, Aerostars, Catalina, Fennec pair, Hawk 75, Mustang trio, F86, T33, Pembroke, Leopard Moth/Hornet Moth/Dragon Rapide, Hurricane, Black Cats and a seven Spitfire formation finale and tailchase. That was a show!

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

tankbuster81 wrote:.... ,i feel the admission price is a total disgrace at duxford,especially with all thats goin on in the country at present.....

As has been pointed out many times on here and ignored or discounted every time, Duxford is open every day of the year except for two days over Christmas. The staff, utilities (electricity, water etc) and necessary maintainance to support that have to be there even if no-one actually turns up. That costs a lot of money.

The admission to the airshow includes admission to the whole museum. At all Duxford air shows the flying display does not begin until the early afternoon. If you choose to set up on the crowd line and not bother to visit the hangars, that is not the fault of Duxford. Basically, you are getting the flying display for around £10 more than normal entry to the museum on a non-show day (unless, like me you are a Friend of Duxford).

That seems like pretty good value to me.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

We still have 2 weeks to go so maybe some more shall be added :whistle: I hope :grin:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Thats cr@p news about the Sabre especially with all the debate over whether it's going over to the US or not, was possibly going to be the last chance to see it fly in this country so to have a problem and just put it to one side for winter maintenance does suck considering how popular the aircraft is and we may never see it here again.

I don't have a problem with the admission price as such but I do have a problem with the ever decreasing line-up and the fact that they do not seem to be getting any replacements in. It was only a week ago that the website still said Typhoon on it yet how long have Duxford known that the Typhoon display season is over.

Strategic marketing?

Give it 2 more weeks and the line-up will probably be the Dragon Rapide... and thats it :grin:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

EMarsh wrote:At least the flying it 1330-1630, so there *should* (provided the IWM don't go into "lockdown" mode half an hour earlier...) be a little longer to explore the hangars and enjoy the golden Autumn skies (hah!), post-show.

The past few Autumn shows - from about 2003 onwards, I'd say - have generally been as good as the other DX shows, rather than the older format of a relaxed, gentle day of flying from the based aircraft with a few outsiders thrown in.

Take 2005 for example - KC135, F15E pair, Matadors, Hawk, C130J, Cassutt pair/Cosmic Wind, Dakota, Aerostars, Catalina, Fennec pair, Hawk 75, Mustang trio, F86, T33, Pembroke, Leopard Moth/Hornet Moth/Dragon Rapide, Hurricane, Black Cats and a seven Spitfire formation finale and tailchase. That was a show!

Quite agree, the Autumn show has always been a firm favourite of mine. It's lovely, relaxing style is brill. I hope it is as good as normal, though last year was a shocker weather wise. Me and my two mates were the only ones to brave the Flightline walk when it opened, chucking it down with rain :lol: :yahoo: Hardcore British weather, fingers cross for those golden Autumn skies :biggrin:

James
Last edited by jimbob1194 on Thu 01 Oct 2009, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Thumper wrote:Thats cr@p news about the Sabre especially with all the debate over whether it's going over to the US or not, was possibly going to be the last chance to see it fly in this country so to have a problem and just put it to one side for winter maintenance does suck considering how popular the aircraft is and we may never see it here again.

I don't have a problem with the admission price as such but I do have a problem with the ever decreasing line-up and the fact that they do not seem to be getting any replacements in. It was only a week ago that the website still said Typhoon on it yet how long have Duxford known that the Typhoon display season is over.

Strategic marketing?

Give it 2 more weeks and the line-up will probably be the Dragon Rapide... and thats it :grin:

The Sabre could be staying for another season, as I have posted before, and did you read the bit where I said the wing has to come off to get at the leak. Not something you can do in five minutes as actually it's the fuselage that has to be lifted off the one piece wing and then the leak found and if it wasn't for winter maintenance it wouldn't fly at all during the summer.

In case you didn't notice the line up has increased since the pdf list went up and as has already been stated, there is still a couple of weeks to go for it to change and I don't remember the Typhoon being down on the list the IWM issued. It was on someone else's wish list, besides I'm not exactly a jet person but I would rather see an F-16 display over a Typhoon any day and there is nothing wrong with a Dragon Rapide display. :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

I think for an end of season bash, it’s not a bad line-up. Maybe its because the last few Autumn shows have been so good its tricky to raise the bar as such.

There’s still plenty of time for additions as well!! :smile:

Beefsteak

Post by Beefsteak »

Me and my two mates were the only ones to brave the Flightline walk when it opened, chucking it down with rain :lol: :yahoo: Hardcore British weather, fingers cross for those golden Autumn skies :biggrin:

James[/quote]

Cheek , I was getting soaked out there too, and it was quite welcome when the Lynx took off to do a weather forcast, (I used his prop down draft to dry my gear out !!!.....LOL :yahoo:

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

[Quote="EMarsh].....and there is nothing wrong with a Dragon Rapide display....[/Quote]

Definitely not, especially considering that it is one of the few airshow "acts" where anyone can fly in the same type of aircraft on the same day that they see it in the display.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

lanemiker

Post by lanemiker »

Sure would be nice to see some of TFC's aircraft get up for this last Duxford show of the season. My first Duxford show after arriving in the UK was the Autumn Show last year and was treated to the P-40B, P-39, P-75, PBY along with the Spitfire Mk IX and the P-51D. Have yet to see the F6F and F8F get up for a Duxford Show. Would like to see a pair of Grumman Cats beat up Duxford with a few passes. Maybe couple that with the FG-1D Corsair and make it a US Navy flyby.

Lance
Canon 7D (2) gripped, Canon 40D gripped, 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, BushHawk

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Beefsteak wrote:Me and my two mates were the only ones to brave the Flightline walk when it opened, chucking it down with rain :lol: :yahoo: Hardcore British weather, fingers cross for those golden Autumn skies :biggrin:

James

Cheek , I was getting soaked out there too, and it was quite welcome when the Lynx took off to do a weather forcast, (I used his prop down draft to dry my gear out !!!.....LOL :yahoo:[/quote]

I was out there aswell getting soaked :biggrin:

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

lanemiker wrote:Sure would be nice to see some of TFC's aircraft get up for this last Duxford show of the season. My first Duxford show after arriving in the UK was the Autumn Show last year and was treated to the P-40B, P-39, P-75, PBY along with the Spitfire Mk IX and the P-51D. Have yet to see the F6F and F8F get up for a Duxford Show. Would like to see a pair of Grumman Cats beat up Duxford with a few passes. Maybe couple that with the FG-1D Corsair and make it a US Navy flyby.

Lance

Not going to happen, unfortunately - TFC's UK-registered fleet (so all bar the TF51 & 'Fury) are grounded whilst the CAA audits each aircraft's paperwork back to the 1940s. An unfortunate situation, but one which will hopefully be resolved in time for the 2010 season. :smile:

Edit - only just noticed that we've lost the Dakota from the list. :sad:

MrAngry2

Post by MrAngry2 »

Oh well looks like Old Warden will be my last show this year then. :sad:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjudge/

Biggin Hill international cheese fair 2011 (TBC)

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Pen Pusher wrote:the wing has to come off to get at the leak. Not something you can do in five minutes as actually it's the fuselage that has to be lifted off the one piece wing and then the leak found and if it wasn't for winter maintenance it wouldn't fly at all during the summer.

In case you didn't notice the line up has increased since the pdf list went up and as has already been stated, there is still a couple of weeks to go for it to change and I don't remember the Typhoon being down on the list the IWM issued. It was on someone else's wish list, besides I'm not exactly a jet person but I would rather see an F-16 display over a Typhoon any day and there is nothing wrong with a Dragon Rapide display. :biggrin:

Brian

Nahhh I missed the bit about how much work is involved to fix the Sabre :oops: Ahhh well, can I get to see it in a hangar on the day?

On the main Duxford webpage about the Autumn Airshow they listed the blurb about the Airshow and mentioned the Typhoon as an "already confirmed act". It only vanished a few weeks ago.

I agree about the F-16 though, I much prefer the F-16 to the Typhoon, the display is more aerobatic and exciting and I do love the smoke!

I guess the problem for me is comparison. Having only been to 1 Autumn Airshow at Duxford before (2006) I guess I am expecting similar and because it's not happening thats why I am getting a little disappointed.

I don't have issues with the Dragon Rapide, I think its a great sounding aircraft that I enjoyed watching for over an hour at the USA Air Day, I just picked 1 out of the bag for my jokey comment :biggrin:

Ahhh man the Dakota has gone?! :sad:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Beefsteak wrote:Me and my two mates were the only ones to brave the Flightline walk when it opened, chucking it down with rain :lol: :yahoo: Hardcore British weather, fingers cross for those golden Autumn skies :biggrin:

James

Cheek , I was getting soaked out there too, and it was quite welcome when the Lynx took off to do a weather forcast, (I used his prop down draft to dry my gear out !!!.....LOL :yahoo:[/quote]

LOL.....Good Times hey :yahoo: :grin:

James

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Can anyone confirm that the F-16 will be operating from Mildenhall? Thanks :smile:

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Well it will definately be either Mildenhall or Lakenheath, it was operating from Mildenhall in 2006 so chances are it'll be there again :smile:

MrAngry2

Post by MrAngry2 »

Guessing it will be Mildenhall as thats open over the weekends anyway.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjudge/

Biggin Hill international cheese fair 2011 (TBC)

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Just thought I was stick this in here, hope it's in the right place.

I really cannot decide what to do on Saturday. It's either Mildenhall (never been there) or Duxford to maybe catch some arrivals and practise. I won't be getting to either until about lunchtime but I dont know where to go on Saturday and what I will see. If anyone can give me any clues to help me decide that would be great! :biggrin:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Thumper wrote:Just thought I was stick this in here, hope it's in the right place.

I really cannot decide what to do on Saturday. It's either Mildenhall (never been there) or Duxford to maybe catch some arrivals and practise. I won't be getting to either until about lunchtime but I dont know where to go on Saturday and what I will see. If anyone can give me any clues to help me decide that would be great! :biggrin:

Well if the weather is nice on the Saturday then i shall go to DX to see what arrives, if its not nice then no way am i going to DX. Maybe you should try out Mildenhall. :biggrin:

James

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Thumper wrote:Just thought I was stick this in here, hope it's in the right place.

My personal recommendation would be to go to Duxford if the weather is good (i.e. generally warm/sunny!), as there's much more chance of seeing some flying there if there isn't driving, freezing horizontal rain!

There's always a chance that it'll be quiet even if the weather is fine; if that were to happen, you could always pop up to Madingley (about 5/10mins up the M11) American Cemetary, which is a wonderful place to visit if you want some quiet reflection. Duxford also has the added advantage of having the whole museum to look around and it'll be a lot quieter on Saturday, so you can have a good look at everything without being moved swiftly along by the crowds. The IWM's insistance on locking down the museum as soon as the flying is over on airshow days also makes 'doing the whole thing' a bit tricky on Sunday.

If the weather isn't so good - overcast, chilly etc - maybe try Mildenhall. In my experience, weekends are generally quiet at the 'Hall, but still, John's Field has adequate facilities and there's a Little Chef just up the road. :biggrin:

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Hmmmmm cheers that gives me plenty of choice. Like I mentioned before, I won't be going inside Dux on Saturday as I do not have the money :sad:

I have been to the American Cemetary a few weeks ago, beautiful place, very peaceful and yes good for reflection.

I think I will stick to Duxford for the Saturday as Mildenhall is further away and by all accounts sounds like nothing happens there at the weekends, I found that out when I went to Lakenheath the other weekend, I wondered why it was so quiet until a spotter in a car drove past and told me nothing ever happens there at the weekend!

I just wondered if I might have seen the F-16 at Mildenhall, if it might do some practise or something.

EMarsh if its cold and wet I shall hold you responsible!! :grin:

Downes0106

Post by Downes0106 »

Lakenheath is generally closed at the Weekends, but Mildenhall can be busy, but any day there is always hot and miss. In all probability the Belgian F-16 (plus spare) will be based there.
Scott

Canon EOS7D, with 30D Back-up
Canon 100-400MM IS, 70-200MM plus some wide-angle/macro stuff

Danny

Post by Danny »

Would be great if the F-16 did a rehearsal over Mildenhall. :drool:
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"