Duxford Autumn Air Show

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
jimbob1194

Duxford Autumn Air Show

Post by jimbob1194 »

I know its early, (we haven't even had September air show yet), but thought i would put the list on so far,, and boy its a pretty good one so far for the end of the season,, this display is always the best way to end the season :biggrin:
Here are the Autumn Participants so far:
RAF:
Typhoon F2 (F)
Hawk T1 (F)
BBMF Spitfire (F)
Beechcraft King Air B200 (F)

Belgian Air Component:
Lockheed Martin F-16AM Fighting Falcon (F)

Duxford Based:
B 17 Flying Fortress Sally B (F)
F 86A Sabre (F)

Civilian:
The Blades (F)

Hope to see you all there & September :biggrin:
Regards
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

TheDuck

Re: Duxford Autumn Air Show

Post by TheDuck »

Always enjoyed the October air show more than the September one, with the F-16 being a regular fixture of the October show. Looks like a great show already. :clap:

Beefsteak

Post by Beefsteak »

Enjoyed last years, despite the weather, just hope the Belgian F-16 does a bit more of a display than last year !!!

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Should have scrimped and saved enough to make this my last air event of the year, always a good one with the F-16 but a shame it isn't "Tango" from Norway :drool:

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Thumper wrote:Should have scrimped and saved enough to make this my last air event of the year, always a good one with the F-16 but a shame it isn't "Tango" from Norway :drool:

Do you mean this one from Holland :biggrin:

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Thats "Tango"! :drool: Bahh Holland, Norway, close enough :grin:

jetwash

Post by jetwash »

This sounds like a great show, but I was wondering...

A) Is the typhoon definitley confirmed?

B) How long is the flying display usually?

C)How many more participants can we expect?
Over enthusiastic aviation enthusiast!

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

They haven't confirmed the Typhoon on the website yet. Only the Hawk, Tucano and BBMF are confirmed on there at the moment. They obviously have to put the disclaimer in for every single aircraft though, "All flying is subject to serviceability, operational requirements and weather".

The website states 2pm as the start of flying, not sure how long it lasts, it seemed longer than that when I last went in 2006. I imagine it will be about 2 or 3 hours worth.

With regards to the list posted on here, well compared to 2006 I guess theres room for the Chinook, Mustang and another display team like the French team which were there last time I was.

The Sabre and F-16 is enough to keep me jumping up and down for the next month though :biggrin:

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

If my rather forgetful memory serves me correct, the Autumn show tends to start around 1.30 and finish around 4.30, mainly to accommodate the failing light at that time of year. Could be wrong though!! :smile:

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

From the rumours, it looks a good line up, but £25 (on the day) ticket price is just way too expensive.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

OMG is that how much it is!! Oh nooo I thought it was £18.50, same as American Air Day, I thought that was the price :confused: Thats gonna be an expensive day out for me including petrol, better find some more stuff to put on eBay!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Thumper wrote:OMG is that how much it is!! Oh nooo I thought it was £18.50, same as American Air Day, I thought that was the price :confused: Thats gonna be an expensive day out for me including petrol, better find some more stuff to put on eBay!

Yep, I think its £22.45 in advance and £24.95 on the day.
Whisky Connoisseur

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

rdchawk wrote:From the rumours, it looks a good line up, but £25 (on the day) ticket price is just way too expensive.

From the Kemble Air Show web site for 2009

2009 Ticket Prices
Adult £18.50 per day (£25 on the day)

:whistle:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Pen Pusher wrote:
rdchawk wrote:From the rumours, it looks a good line up, but £25 (on the day) ticket price is just way too expensive.

2009 Ticket Prices

Brian

How long was the display at Kemble ??? And what was displaying there???
Whisky Connoisseur

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Pen Pusher wrote:

2009 Ticket Prices

Brian

To be fair, I'd probably give Kemble a significant edge in terms of quality over Duxford. Don't get me wrong, Duxford holds a special place in my enthusiast's heart, but you can't deny that Kemble gives you value for money.

On the flip side, Duxford have the museum complex. Though many of us here (me included) are Friends of Duxford and visit the museum regularly, thus would only glance round the hangars on an airshow day, there are many people who have either never visited or rarely visit. Maybe they would consider it better value for money? I agree though, it's an expensive weekend - especially if you do both days and stay overnight in a hotel, four times a year - it's killer!

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

My original plan was to do the Hangars and catch some arrivals on Saturday, B&B the night and then Airshow on the Sunday so I can get a nice good spot early on and pitch up my windbreak and step ladders :grin: Just kidding.

I think I might have to squish it all in on the Sunday though and pray I can still find a spot near the front after some hangar touring.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced B&B, it'll be way to cold to camp and the cheapest B&B I found was £59 a night which is Travel Lodge at Abington :confused:

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Thumper wrote:My original plan was to do the Hangars and catch some arrivals on Saturday, B&B the night and then Airshow on the Sunday so I can get a nice good spot early on and pitch up my windbreak and step ladders :grin: Just kidding.

I think I might have to squish it all in on the Sunday though and pray I can still find a spot near the front after some hangar touring.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced B&B, it'll be way to cold to camp and the cheapest B&B I found was £59 a night which is Travel Lodge at Abington :confused:

A PM hath been sent, Lady Thumper. What use it'll be, I don't know. :grin:

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

£25 on the day for non members in my opinion isn’t too bad. When you consider that’s for the museum itself and a 3+ hour display. I can’t remember the last time I went to an Ipswich away game and it cost me less then £25 to get in. That’s just for a 90 minutes of action.

I took a couple of mates who have never been to Duxford to last years Autumn show and they thought it was great value for money (not sure if the price was the same as this year??).

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Thanks EMarsh much appreciated, will be taking in some McDonalds, Starbucks and Arcade Games on the Saturday :biggrin:

I do agree with you SuffolkB, the price in itself is not bad but we are in a recession or whatever people are calling it these days and £25 is a lot of money to some people. For me it's going to cost over £100 all in to visit the Autumn Air Show (petrol, B&B, entry, food etc), I can't save that as I have lost a lot of work due to the economy therefore I am selling things off to afford it! The price of holidays and other entertainments have gone down as a reflection to what people can afford but Airshows are increasing in price from my experience.

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Thumper wrote:Thanks EMarsh much appreciated, will be taking in some McDonalds, Starbucks and Arcade Games on the Saturday :biggrin:

See you in Starbucks! Mine's a mocha chocha frappa latte with cream on top.

Also, my Legends experience cost me in excess of £300 for the three day weekend. Three days of food, accommodation, ticket prices and assorted other expendatures adds up very quickly - particularly when those 'posh' burger joints are throwing out cheeseburgers at £5/£7 a pop!

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Will deffo buy you a cuppa :wink:

Ahh now you see this is where I saved at RIAT. I purchased 2 cornish pasties, 2 pork pies, packets of crisps and chocolate wafers at the local shop for a few quid. All I needed to buy was cups of tea to stop hypothermia setting in and I bought a fleece for a fiver as mine was saturated :grin: I really was lusting after a £6 cheeseburger but I bought a programme instead which wasn't particularly tasty.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Thumper wrote:Will deffo buy you a cuppa :wink:

Ahh now you see this is where I saved at RIAT. I purchased 2 cornish pasties, 2 pork pies, packets of crisps and chocolate wafers at the local shop for a few quid. All I needed to buy was cups of tea to stop hypothermia setting in and I bought a fleece for a fiver as mine was saturated :grin: I really was lusting after a £6 cheeseburger but I bought a programme instead which wasn't particularly tasty.

Keep eating that kind of junk food and you will changing your monicker to Lumper soon :lol:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

From the Duxford Web. It's a start :biggrin:

Already confirmed flying participation:

RAF Hawk
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Spitfire
RAF King Air
Belgian Air Force F-16
B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B
Catalina
Spitfire and Mustang duo
Spitfire and Hurrican duo
de Havilland Dragon Rapide
Douglas DC-3
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Pen Pusher wrote:From the Duxford Web. It's a start :biggrin:

RAF Hawk
RAF King Air
Belgian Air Force F-16
Catalina
Spitfire and Mustang duo
Douglas DC-3

No Typhoon? Hopefully the Sabre gets added later on, too...

Good start, the OFMC pair (assuming it is them) are away top-notch and I can't think of a DC3 solo in the UK that is anything less than entertaining - 'Drag 'em oot' in particular always puts on a superb routine.

The Spitfire and Hurricane duo will be flown by Carolyn Grace and Anna Walker respectively, or so I remember reading in an earlier press release.

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Pen Pusher wrote:From the Duxford Web. It's a start :biggrin:

RAF Hawk
RAF King Air
Belgian Air Force F-16
Catalina
Spitfire and Mustang duo
Douglas DC-3

Also the two Fennecs, RNHF Sea Hawk and TFC Sea Fury T20 according to the site.