Airshow Special Interest Days?

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Kokpit

Re: Airshow Special Interest Days?

Post by Kokpit »

PhilW wrote:
Kokpit wrote:.would almost certainly see a sympathetic and unsderstanding reaction from both FoD ....

If the preceeding posts are a sympathetic reaction, I'd hate to be on the end of an argumentative one! :grin:

You seemed to have missed out the 'if handled correctly' part, you don't work for the Daily Mail do you? :wink:

AndyBeau

Post by AndyBeau »

I'm glad to see that they saw sense. Just goes to show that a little protest does work!

Quite agree with you Kev that, if they are having financial difficulties then there are other ways to handle it than pee off the very people that support them each year!

I will now quite happily renew my FOD membership in the Spring.

Well done Duxford! :clap:

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

{Quote="AndyBeau"]..I will now quite happily renew my FOD membership in the Spring....[/Quote]

As will I.

The proposed winter closures are understandable from a financial point of view, although somewhat irksome to those visiting during that period, especially those visiting for the first or, (particularly in the case of non-British visitors possibly the only) time and will affect the smallest number of visitors (both general public and FOD). I just hope that the information regarding the closures is given wide publicity and featured prominently on the IWM website, else the possibility exists for more dissatisfaction resulting in negative publicity and bad press ensuing from those who have made a long journey or detour to reach Duxford only to find a large part of it closed. It is, after all, not the most conveniently located museum in the country unless one is already committed to driving along the A505 or M11.

It is worth remembering, however, that the closure of a considerable part of the museum during the construction of AirSpace apparently had little or no effect on either visitor numbers or Duxford's reputation as a fine museum.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

baseleg

Post by baseleg »

I'll probably renew my membership as well.

If they do close half the museum during the winter, surely they should reduce the entry fee accordingly?

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

FoD membership will Now be renewed in Feb :biggrin: I'm glad to say it again :rock:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

:clap: Good effort everyone, and well done for Duxford for reacting so quickly
It was so obvious to everyone on here it was the wrong decision and it was going to affect them in the long run, I'm glad they saw sense.

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

Whilst I can understand its frustrating to have parts of the Museum closed during the winter, Duxford is by no means the only museum to do this. The Fleet Air Arm museum for example closes for 2 days per week for the winter. They do however use this to carry out maintenance work on the exhibits.

wv383

Post by wv383 »

I thought everyone might like to know the following.

To clarify the exact and official position regarding the Fridays prior to Flying Legends and the Battle Of Britain show in September and to clear up any confusion, I contacted the Public Relations Manager at Duxford. Her reply states that there were plans to have increased charges for entry on those days but this plan has now been completely withdrawn. STANDARD ADMISSION charges will apply on both days as usual and that also anyone entitled to discounted entry - FoD, TFC, Sally B etc will be fully entitled to their discounted admission as would apply on any non-Show or other higher charge days.

As for the winter closing of certain parts of the museum, she has no hard and fast information regarding this at the moment and therefore was unable to officially comment on what will or will not be open in the off season. Official news will I am sure be fortcoming in the future, well before anyone makes plans for a visit next winter.

Hope that helps.
Simon