American Air Day, Duxford - 20Aug10

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Pen Pusher

American Air Day, Duxford - 20Aug10

Post by Pen Pusher »

American Air Day showcases the work of the United States Air Force in Europe, and in particular, the Third Air Force, partially based in the United Kingdom. This family-friendly day comprises a rich mix of flying and ground-based displays.

This fantastic day acknowledges the historic link between Duxford and the United States Air Force that dates back to 1918 and is represented today by the stunning American Air Museum in Britain which is based on site at Imperial War Museum Duxford.

On the day ticket prices
Child (0-15 years inclusive) FREE
Adult (16-59 years) £18.50
Senior (60 years or over) £14.80
Student £14.80
Unemployed £9.25
Adult, Senior, Student - disabled £11.10
Carer (one per disabled visitor) free
Friends of Duxford Adult £14.80
Friends of Duxford Senior £11.80

Special 20% group discounts are also available.

Opening times
Gates open at 10.00am and the Museum closes at 6.00pm.

More information

Tickets for this event will be on sale shortly. No booking required.

For more information on this or other event, please call 01223 835 000 or email duxford@iwm.org.uk

All flying is subject to weather, serviceability and operational commitments.

Information released on 28 January 2010

IWM Web

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

PeterR

Re: American Air Day, Duxford - 20Aug10

Post by PeterR »

Glad to hear this is on again this year. I'll hopefully take a trip down to Duxford for it providing it doesn't clashwith anything.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Quite enjoyed American Air Day last year and am planning to attend this year :smile:

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

ditto, went last year for the first time, wasn't the best weather but I really enjoyed it and should be going again. Was a lot busier than I expected it to be too

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

VenomFan09 wrote:went last year and was very underwhelmed by the whole thing. I know its not billed as an airshow, but the flying bits were dissappointgly tame. :sad:

P'raps you should have checked the pre-event info.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

PhilW wrote:
VenomFan09 wrote:went last year and was very underwhelmed by the whole thing. I know its not billed as an airshow, but the flying bits were dissappointgly tame. :sad:

P'raps you should have checked the pre-event info.

......which has this on it.
Please note that this event is not an air show. There will be limited flying and no displays as part of this event. Any flying is subject to weather, serviceability and operational requirements.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Russ

Post by Russ »

I went in 2008. I won't bother again unless they promise to plug the burners on the Eagles. :whistle:

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Well American Air Day 2009 was a mixed feelings event for me (mainly due to my own fault). After 2 hours of queuing to get in I gave up, found a field and got soaked. Everything ran late and some of it not at all but what did happen was excellent, the x4 F-15's was awesome (plenty of burner action!!), the Pave Hawk was amazing, the mid-air refuelling was GREAT, Sally-B was wonderful and the Sabre and Mustang did some of the best displays I have ever seen.

I will be going again this year, I will get there early though so I can be inside this time and appreciate what happens on the ground as well as in the air, like others, last year I mis-read it as an airshow and not an event :facepalm:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

I'll be there this year, the only attraction being the appearance of the USAFE assets. I hope the HH-60 do a CSAR demo! :drool:

Dragster

Post by Dragster »

Russ wrote:I went in 2008. I won't bother again unless they promise to plug the burners on the Eagles. :whistle:

Yeah, i went that year as well.... dont think i have ever heard an Eagle sound so quiet.... :cuppa:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Anyone heard any news regarding aircraft participation? :smile:

MartinNeedham

Post by MartinNeedham »

Thumper wrote:the x4 F-15's was awesome (plenty of burner action!!)

I'm not sure what "burner action" is in your book, but the candles certainly weren't lit on the Eagles at AAD last year.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Ya know those 2 little holes that are at the back of the airyplane, well they were orange coloured a couple of times and when they went orange coloured it made more noise! :handbag:

Jumbojet380: I called Duxford this morning and they have no news regarding aircraft participation but they said the page should be updated within 2 weeks regarding participation as they are waiting to hear back from various organisations.

I suspect it will be the usual format to include F-15's, Sabre, Mustang, Pave Hawk, KC-135, Hercules etc. I also imagine we'll get some planes departing just like last year for Shoreham Airshow too like Sally B, Spitfires etc.

I'm taking the advtange of camping again this year as I'll be doing 3 events one after the other :hypno: AAD, Shuttleworth and Sywell, plus zooming back over to Silverstone on the Saturday to see XH558 before returning to Shuttleworth for the Proms. Plenty of Red Bull for me that weekend!! :biggrin:

Red11

Post by Red11 »

Does anyone know the line up yet?

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Red11 wrote:Does anyone know the line up yet?

As far as I'm aware, it hasn't been announced yet.

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Blimey they do leave it late to announce participation don't they. Still no news?!
I'm really tempted to go next Friday, but will need some justification for splashing out £18.50. Sabre display would be nice..

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

J35 Draken wrote:Blimey they do leave it late to announce participation don't they. Still no news?!
I'm really tempted to go next Friday, but will need some justification for splashing out £18.50. Sabre display would be nice..

Still no news yet I'm afraid Dean. Hopefully it'll be something like the Sabre, Sally B, P51 (s), KC 135/ F 15 flypast, and othe attractions on the ground. :biggrin:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Thanks James. Will be hoping they release some information soon then!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Don't remember a list being issued for previous events and as it's not an air show there is no need.

Please note that this event is not an air show. There will be limited flying and no displays as part of this event. Any flying is subject to weather, serviceability and operational requirements.

Can almost guarantee though a helicopter from Lakenheath and Hercules from Mildenhall, which does a TAC Demo first chucking troops out the back, park up on the jet pan and are open to the public. Between 14.00 & 15.00 various fly pasts from a tanker and F-15s, and later on in the afternoon, Duxford based American type war birds flying. Last year after they took off, the Herc flew over trailing its hose with the helicopter up close to the basket.

Police dog display is usually good and plenty of USAFE squadrons from Mild/Lake with little tents set up and selling badges/T-shirts/prints etc but no American food outlets unfortunately.

Piccies from Last Year

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

I am not even going to bother with this now.

The website has been ........... since Friday and still is now meaning I cannot get discounted tickets online. Not that I would buy tickets for an event that has absolutely no information or confirmations anyway.

Last year there was a list of confirmed aircraft displays and ground displays/teams 2 weeks before the event which gave people enough time to see what was going to be there and get online tickets and accommodation etc sorted.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

I had a look at getting advance tickets the other day and I'm pretty sure they weren't any cheaper, so maybe it's no big loss on that front?
Also looked around on the net and, as in previous years, the Sabre and B-17 will be displaying according to their own websites.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Thumper wrote:I am not even going to bother with this now.

The website has been .......... since Friday and still is now meaning I cannot get discounted tickets online. Not that I would buy tickets for an event that has absolutely no information or confirmations anyway.

Thumper. Please have a read of Rule 6.

Just clicked on the Duxford Web Site and it's working for me and has done all the times I've logged on to it this weekend. There is a new participation update for the Summer show.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

J35 Draken wrote:I had a look at getting advance tickets the other day and I'm pretty sure they weren't any cheaper, so maybe it's no big loss on that front?
Also looked around on the net and, as in previous years, the Sabre and B-17 will be displaying according to their own websites.

Duxford News (or a similar publication) came through my letter box last week, they mention Sabre, B-17, P-51D, Stearman, Cub and the usual USAFE stuff from memory.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Lovely stuff, thanks mate! :smile:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

I should be there on Friday, looking forward seeing the USAFE stuff up close. And my first ever show at Duxford! :smile: