Parking at DX on airshow days

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
timuss

Parking at DX on airshow days

Post by timuss »

Finally made it up to Duxford for the first time yesterday, really enjoyed my day up there. I intend on coming up for Legends next month but was curious to know what the arrangements are for parking on show days?

Cheers

Tim
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

rdchawk

Re: Parking at DX on airshow days

Post by rdchawk »

Obviously the earlier you are the better, depends which way you arrive to Duxford, but normally there is some on base car parking, but there are several fields used for overflow car parking should the need arise.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Always used to be that if come from the M11 you get parked north side and have to cross the foot bridge; come from Royston and you get parked behind the Land Warfare Hall/American Air Museum (yay).

timuss

Post by timuss »

Ah ok cheers looks like an early start maybe in order cheers.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Basically, the main Museum entrance is for pass holder, disabled and motorbikes. If you come from the M11 end you go past the main entrance, under the Bailey Bridge and directed to the right onto the domestic site to park. Walk back over the Bailey bridge to get in. From the Royston end, the entrance is opposite the Land Warfare Museum and that is on site parking.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

timuss

Post by timuss »

M11 side for me coming from. What time do they tend to let you in on show days?
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Gates open 08.00

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

I normally park in between Hangars 2 and 3, as my friend works on Air Show days for the FoD. lovely place to park as well. :biggrin: Timuss where you coming down from??

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

MrAngry2

Post by MrAngry2 »

Duxford village primary school :whistle: :grin: :grin:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjudge/

Biggin Hill international cheese fair 2011 (TBC)

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

MrAngry2 wrote:Duxford village primary school :whistle: :grin: :grin:

I use to do that :grin: When the GR.4 was on the air show circuit. That was something in those fields :rock: Now I get into DX for free at air shows, thanks to Gary :biggrin:

James

timuss

Post by timuss »

jimbob1194 wrote:I normally park in between Hangars 2 and 3, as my friend works on Air Show days for the FoD. lovely place to park as well. :biggrin: Timuss where you coming down from??

James

I live near worthing took me just over two hours to get to Dx yesterday, not to bad.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

timuss wrote:
jimbob1194 wrote:I normally park in between Hangars 2 and 3, as my friend works on Air Show days for the FoD. lovely place to park as well. :biggrin: Timuss where you coming down from??

James

I live near worthing took me just over two hours to get to Dx yesterday, not to bad.

Yh that isn't bad at all. You'll have a great time. I'll see you there :whistle: :biggrin:

James

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

DamienB wrote:Always used to be that if come from the M11 you get parked north side and have to cross the foot bridge; come from Royston and you get parked behind the Land Warfare Hall/American Air Museum (yay).

Since 1991 I have never parked north side and I always arrive via the M11. I always get there around 7.00 to 7.30 and end up being parked around the American Air Museum building. I was under the impression the north side was overflow but I am no expert and could easily be wrong.

Top tip.. get there early
HTAFC

Lumix

Post by Lumix »

Mark Lindley wrote:
DamienB wrote:Always used to be that if come from the M11 you get parked north side and have to cross the foot bridge; come from Royston and you get parked behind the Land Warfare Hall/American Air Museum (yay).

Since 1991 I have never parked north side and I always arrive via the M11. I always get there around 7.00 to 7.30 and end up being parked around the American Air Museum building. I was under the impression the north side was overflow but I am no expert and could easily be wrong.

Ditto. Always South Side here as well after exiting the M11, in thro' the gate beyond the Land Warfare building. Then again I'm there at 07:00 :biggrin:

F-86

Post by F-86 »

Mark Lindley wrote:

I always ignored the signs and parked in the land warfare end car park when coming from Newmarket direction. Much better than parking on the northside.

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Actually there's nothing to stop you using the LWH end car park if coming from the M11 end as the signs actually indicate both car parks from that direction. As for arrival time, I usually aim to get in by around 8am and never had a problem on any air show day. It just depends how the cadets are doing the parking. Sometimes arriving early gets you parked at the front and others you are much further back. It's the luck of the draw really as they fill up the LWH side first and then move over to the AAM side, so sometimes you strike it lucky. One time I arrived just as they did the change over and ended up in the front row!
Simon