Legends 2010

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
simi_av8r

Re: Legends 2010

Post by simi_av8r »

ClassicAviation, thanks so much for the excellent information. We'll certainly be arriving for gates-open, as i've never been to the IWM Duxford, the morning time will serve us very well with getting in and around some of the exhibits. We're also meeting a friend of mine there who has been before, but as i'll be getting there first, it was my job to find a decent viewing area, so i'll take note and try to stick near the Land Warfare area for the best views!

i really can't wait now, batteries are charging, camera has been cleaned down, lenses checked, spare CF cards formatted and stored in the camera bag ready...i'll hope to see some of you there, whether i recognise you or not is another story!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

stuart n wrote: Hope Clair Nasir is still there when I arrive :love:
Going to be a scorcher today :icecream:

See TFC Blog :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

Hi there i think your in for a bit of a treat. :smile: :shock: :cool: :topbombing: :sweat:

Arrive early if you can as for route im not sure they will have their traffic issues whichever one you chose!? I live in Ipswich about 60 minutes drive away gates open reputably at 8am ive been in as early as 0730 so will be leaving at 0630 if you come from the M11 my advice would be to go the very end of the airfield and go in at the last gate on your left should take you in behind the land warfare hall

I have been doing Legends myself for a few years and have tried all sorts of places hope the following helps

DX itself if you go to the far end of the airfield behind the Land warfare hall and stand on the Tank Bank you are elevated although you will probably get bashed in the neck/ear with a large lens or two, then there’s the middle of the airfield centre line for display a good spot but large crowds, or you could try the other end of the airfield near airspace this will be full of large lenses to but offers the best shots for taxing aircraft and for landing if the wind blows down the runway that way i.e. towards the M11. Personally I opt for around the American Air hall as its close to toilets, gives a relative good view of everything happening and generally is a bit quitter than the other options.

As for setting up camp that’s what i do! ile be around that area Sunday last piece of advice food is expensive bring your own and don’t forget suntan cream, camera, more suntan cream

this is only my view so hope this all helps
Chris

classicaviation

Post by classicaviation »

Friday's arrivals report is now on my blog plus some pictures. Click the link under this post of the button under my avatar. Enjoy the show everyone!!! Talk to you post event!
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Anyone in the FoD's enclosure tommorow? :biggrin:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

jimbob1194 wrote:Anyone in the FoD's enclosure tommorow? :biggrin:

James

The last few shows I've attended I've popped in there to grab a cuppa to keep me warm....here's hoping the water cooler is working tomorrow though!

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

SuffolkBlue wrote:
jimbob1194 wrote:Anyone in the FoD's enclosure tommorow? :biggrin:

James

The last few shows I've attended I've popped in there to grab a cuppa to keep me warm....here's hoping the water cooler is working tomorrow though!

Me too! :smile:

Andy

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Wall to wall sunshine again. :sweat:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

Just been on facebook and there's quite a few comments moaning about the parking, i'm sure we'll hear more about it tonight....

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Really looking forward to tommorow at Duxford, although will have to get some sleep this evening as me and my dad are leaving at 330am

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

I'm roasting yet again here at DX. Top display today, well done to everyone who made it a top display. So many highlights. Eating an ice cream, then heading off home. 1 day down, 1 day to go! :cool: :yahoo: :icecream: :heyhey: :clap:

James

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Did the BBMF Lanc spit and Hurricane appear today and Land ?

Best Regards

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

BBMF's Spit P7350, and Hurricane LF363, landed, and are currently on the ground. The Lanc displayed, then landed at Cambridge airport. I don't know whether she will fly back in the morning for the flightline walk or not. All depends on the wind conditions, plus if the BBMF want to land at DX.

James

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Why did the Lancaster land at Cambridge Airport ?

Regards

neilos

Post by neilos »

eddywinch82 wrote:Why did the Lancaster land at Cambridge Airport ?

Regards

Much bigger runway than Duxford. BBMF get a bit twitchy when there is a crosswind at Duxford. Who can blame em, gotta look after the old girl.

stealth117

Post by stealth117 »

Does anyone know if the school in the village opens up for legends? Would like to go again tommorow but cant afford to go in to the show again but the school charged 7 pounds to park the car when i have been there before. If so what time does the school car park tend to fill up (would we have to be there early)?

Any info is much appreciated
Martin

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Did everthing fly that was booked to, also what was the display like ?

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Yes everything flew. The Sea Fury pair was cracking, and so was the Corsair, and Bearcat, but it's legends, so pretty much everything was a highlight. Steve Hinton did fly Frankie beautifully in the solo slot of the P 51 display. :topbombing:

James

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

jimbob1194 wrote:Steve Hinton did fly Frankie beautifully in the solo slot of the P 51 display. :topbombing:

It was actually Alister Kay, the hilight display for me that was! :clap: Cracking day all round, just wish I was able to go tomorrow as well!

maverick847

Post by maverick847 »

Absolutely cracking display today, one of the best legends since my first visit in 2004.

The sea furies were top class, and great to to see the bearcat again.

Only wish was that I could go tomorrow!!

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

HuwJHopkins wrote:
jimbob1194 wrote:Steve Hinton did fly Frankie beautifully in the solo slot of the P 51 display. :topbombing:

It was actually Alister Kay, the hilight display for me that was! :clap: Cracking day all round, just wish I was able to go tomorrow as well!

I thought it was Steve Hinton doing the solo, Alister Kay in the balbo.

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

SuffolkBlue wrote:
HuwJHopkins wrote:

Yh I'm pretty sure Steve flew the solo. It was fantastic. What a shame I have to watch it again tommorow. :roll: :lol: :tongue:

James

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

jimbob1194 wrote:
SuffolkBlue wrote:
HuwJHopkins wrote:

Yh I'm pretty sure Steve flew the solo. It was fantastic. What a shame I have to watch it again tommorow. :roll: :lol: :tongue:

James

Nope, it was Mr Kay!

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

Yes, it was AK. It was AK in version 2 of today's flying programme too.

neilos

Post by neilos »

stealth117 wrote:Does anyone know if the school in the village opens up for legends?

Taken from their primary school website...

Air Days

As usual the school will open it's car park, charging just £7 per car, for people to watch the air shows from the school and surrounding areas. There will be hot/cold drinks a BBQ selling locally bought sausages and burgers, and our well known Cake Stall selling locally home-made cakes and pastries (all made by parents of the school).

Previous air days have always raised a lot of money for the school, which paid for the Outdoor Classroom, benches and planters, new ICT equipment.

Sunday 16 May - Spring Air Show

Saturday, Sunday, 10 & 11 July - Flying Legends

Saturday, Sunday, 4 & 5 September - The Battle of Britain Airshow

Sunday 10 October - Autumn Air Show

I'm really tempted...