Legends 2010

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
The Dudster

Re: Legends 2010

Post by The Dudster »

B25's being the same as 737 ? duno where the EU seem to look but one has piston engines one has jets, one carry passengers fee paying i beleive and the other carries nothing. Prehaps its the bombs there worried about !!
still looking forward to the next 3 days tho :facepalm: : :dizzy:

Yak 11 Fan

Post by Yak 11 Fan »

Weight category.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Dux Web Leg Ends List

Did like the Sea Fury Pairs display. :clap: :clap:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

TheOriginalMonty wrote:I guess you could say that the 8 together, the Seafire (dubious I know!), and the BBMF Spitfire make 10 :confused:

Or were there supposed to be 10 together?

Yh could well be that, cheers.

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Feeble? It's largely the same lineup as last year, minus a handful of aircraft but plus a handful of others. It's Legends - 3 hours of wall to wall piston action and you desperately need a dictionary if you think 'feeble' is an accurate description of that!

It's also only Thursday - wait and see what may turn on Friday...

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

I had a sneaky thought at the back of my mind that the EAD's 109 would be at the show before heading off to RIAT next week.....I guess thats good old wishful thinking! Still looks like a pretty good line up to me. :clap:

Mattster256

Post by Mattster256 »

I'm sorry mach3, but i totally disagree. Fair enough the I-16 is this years star, but look what else you've got:

For the first time at llegends we have over 50 aircraft

3 skyraiders, the last time that happenned was '99

2 seafury's, which very rarely happens

2 Yak 3's and a yak 9, which has only happened once before in the UK, and that was last year

Hopefully the first full display from the TFC's P40, which might i add is one of the only surviors of pearl harbour

6 TF/P 51's, which very rarely happens

10 spitfires, which very rarely happens

The morane 406, which very rarely displays outside of mainland europe

and finally the classic british section which i dont believe has ever happened any where else before, let alone at legends.

I'm sorry, i just dont see how that can be called feeble. If all you to legends to see is the suppriuse aircraft then i dont believe that you deserve to be there. There is far much more to legends than just one aircraft. I'd like to see what kind of reaction you'd get from Stephen Grey if you told him that this year is feeble. There are many airshows around the world that would give anything to have the legends lineup this year!

Thats all i have to say on the matter! :mad:
Live life to the full and never look back.

b25

Post by b25 »

Bit confused really

A friend called in at lunchtime and said there were several photographers about. Apart from Brians pics and TFC blog I haven't seen any pics of practice displays or arrivals, is there a news blackout among photographers or are they not UKAR members?

Bronco

Post by Bronco »

Also 3x Hawker biplanes flying together for the first time in years - Nimrod, Demon and Hind

Mattster256

Post by Mattster256 »

And that, although i was including that in classic british section :smile: . Thanks for pointing that out as well though :clap:

lanemiker

Post by lanemiker »

I totally agree with DamienB and Mattster256. This is Flying Legends. I've got good friends back in the US that I used shoot with, that would give up quite a bit to be here this weekend. This is one of the best, if not the best warbird show in the world. Apart from maybe Planes of Fame in Chino, CA and Thunder Over Michigan. We should be thankful for all the warbird owners and organizations that maintain these aircraft in flying condition for us to enjoy. Even though some these aircraft are approaching 70 years old, they are restored and maintained in better condition than they were during the war. To me there is nothing better than watching and photographing warbirds flying and listening to the sounds of Merlins, Griffons, Pratts and Wrights as they perform at such a historic setting as Duxford. It's great that we are able to see these aircraft perform weekend after weekend during the show season. There will come a time when these aircraft will no longer be operating. It has already happened to a few collections in the US. Nothing worse than seeing aircraft that used to grace the skies on air show weekends, being stuffed and put in a museum.

I'm looking forward to a great weekend and enjoy Flying Legends 2010.

Lance
Last edited by lanemiker on Thu 08 Jul 2010, 9:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Canon 7D (2) gripped, Canon 40D gripped, 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, BushHawk

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

b25 wrote:Bit confused really

A friend called in at lunchtime and said there were several photographers about. Apart from Brians pics and TFC blog I haven't seen any pics of practice displays or arrivals, is there a news blackout among photographers or are they not UKAR members?

At the moment I have 1,037 images to download, and that takes time on my computer. Because of access onto the airfield, many many thanks to the Fighter Collection for that, I got home late, many thanks to Greg for the lift home, and I've had to do a bit of shopping, had a shower, had my tea and various other bits and pieces since then.

Posting images is a bit of a ways down on my priority list/things to do at the moment. I'm home late tomorrow night so it will probably be next week before I get around to posting anything.

I agree with you. Dozens of photographers around but only a small handful of us that seem to post anything.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

lanemiker

Post by lanemiker »

Pen Pusher wrote:
b25 wrote:Bit confused really

At the moment I have 1,037 images to download, and that takes time on my computer. Because of access onto the airfield, many many thanks to the Fighter Collection for that, I got home late, many thanks to Greg for the lift home, and I've had to do a bit of shopping, had a shower, had my tea and various other bits and pieces since then.

Posting images is a bit of a ways down on my priority list/things to do at the moment. I'm home late tomorrow night so it will probably be next week before I get around to posting anything.

I agree with you. Dozens of photographers around but only a small handful of us that seem to post anything.

Brian

Brian,

Look forward to seeing your posts when you get around to them. I still might try and make it up tomorrow to Duxford, but looking more likely early Saturday.

Lance
Canon 7D (2) gripped, Canon 40D gripped, 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, BushHawk

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I'll keep an eye out for you.

You'll easily spot me. I'm bright red at the moment. :biggrin:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

lanemiker

Post by lanemiker »

Pen Pusher wrote:I'll keep an eye out for you.

You'll easily spot me. I'm bright red at the moment. :biggrin:

Brian

Sounds good. Did you forget your sunscreen?

Lance

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Mattster, I don't think the P 40 is TFC's one. I believe it is the one from France mate. As for the list, well I think it is a good, healthy one, and people complain. Why? Are people disappointed by 10 spits, 6 'stangs, '30's biplanes, and many more? If so, your mad! :lol:

James

Mattster256

Post by Mattster256 »

Ah, fair point, still not a bad thing though, thats probably one of my all time favorite aircraft types right there, I cant wait :smile: . It does beg the question though, what is happening with the TFC's P40 then, I've only ever seen that fly once, and that was only taking of and then landing last year!
Last edited by LN Strike Eagle on Thu 08 Jul 2010, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "Txt spk"

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Mattster256 wrote:Ah, fair point, still not a bad thing though, thats probably one of my all time favorite aircraft types right there, i cant w8 :smile: . It does beg the question though, what is happening with the TFC's P40 then, ive only ever seen that fly once, and that was only taking of and then landing last year!

You never know TFC might roll some of their fleet on the field for static display. They did it last year with the Hawk 75, and mk V Spit, who knows. :whistle:

James

Mattster256

Post by Mattster256 »

That would be nice to see. What i meant though was whats happening in terms of it flying. Also, what about the Hellcat and Wildcat! Its been to long since they graced the skies over dx!

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Mattster256 wrote:That would be nice to see. What i meant though was whats happening in terms of it flying. Also, what about the Hellcat and Wildcat! Its been to long since they graced the skies over dx!

They'll fly only when the CAA let them. TFC are working very hard to get things all fine and dandy with the CAA.

James

Mattster256

Post by Mattster256 »

Fair enough. I just cant wait however long i'm gonna have to, i wanna see them fly again now! :wall:

On a slightly different note, any idea what mr grey is gonna fly the joker slot in, Sea Fury as he did last year, or Bearcat, as he has done since time began! (well except about two years ago when it was the hawk 75 but we'll ignore that :whistle: )

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Mattster256 wrote:Fair enough. I just cant wait however long i'm gonna have to, i wanna see them fly again now! :wall:

On a slightly different note, any idea what mr grey is gonna fly the joker slot in, Sea Fury as he did last year, or Bearcat, as he has done since time began! (well except about two years ago when it was the hawk 75 but we'll ignore that :whistle: )

He also used the Spitfire mk XIV one year, I think 2003. That was when there was a problem with the undercarriage. The control tower told him on the radio, though he was too busy displaying, and couldn't hear because of the noise of the Griffon engine. :lmao: No damage was caused, and he landed her nicely. :sweat:

James

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Hope the weather holds for the weekend as I am really looking forward to this one. Can't understand those who grumble at another great line up, we should remember we are blessed to have something like DX here in the UK and yes, I believe many Europeans would give their right arm to have similar in their country! Personally, I kind of like the mystery TFC tries to keep with the display... keeps things interesting.
However, all on here have the right also to express a view about that policy, even if it is a negative one. Ultimately you pay your money and take your choice. I just urge everyone to pay up and go inside (although yes it is a lot of money for many) - staying outside the fence will just lead to the eventual death of these great events.... so, hoping for a memorable and safe event, see you all Sunday on the bank (hope the health and safety brigade have not put an end to crowd line clipping at western end, Spring show seemed to suggest they may have... that would be a shame) :0)

classicaviation

Post by classicaviation »

I whole heartedly agree with those who say this is a great show. Let's face it, The Fighter Collection could put on a great display by itself if it had the certifications to do so!..but to have all these historic, legendary and very significant artifacts come to us here in the UK makes a lot of enthusiasts envious the world over.

Some years you won't get a lot of "new" sights but to that I just say 'so what?'.
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

robt

Post by robt »

I'll be going on Saturday to my third Legends in four years and am really looking forward to it. Bit disappointed how some of you have been having a go at others who have innocently enquired what might be there. Saying "you don't need to know - you should go just because it's Legends" is a pretty ridiculous answer. The vast majority of the people there will not be enthusiasts, and could you really blame them for giving it a miss if it looks to be very similar to the show they went to last year or the year before?

It's very enjoyable to enthusiasts like ourselves, but it's not a sacred cow. If you want to criticise it you can easily start with Bernard's commentary...

But of course Bernard's commentary is "all part of the Legends experience", hey? Hmmm.

I went to another "legendary" show, Farnborough, for the first time in many years two years ago and I thought it was a disgrace, with the public being treated as second class citizens and a very poor flying programme. I won't be going again any time soon.