Friday: something happening?

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Eagledriver F-15E

Friday: something happening?

Post by Eagledriver F-15E »

I read in certain posts of people going to Duxford on Friday. I'm just wondering : what can you see at Duxford on friday as most planes are based there. I expect arrivals to be a minimum. Are there any rehearsels going on? And can you get near to the action, or is the airfield closed and do you have to stand in the landing?

All info is welcome.

rdchawk

Re: Friday: something happening?

Post by rdchawk »

Eagledriver F-15E wrote:I read in certain posts of people going to Duxford on Friday. I'm just wondering : what can you see at Duxford on friday as most planes are based there. I expect arrivals to be a minimum. Are there any rehearsels going on? And can you get near to the action, or is the airfield closed and do you have to stand in the landing?

All info is welcome.

I went on the friday of Legends and before the museum is open there are practice displays, arrivals and practices happen throughout the day, The grounds are open like on a show day,
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

MrAngry2

Post by MrAngry2 »

Also if your a freind you get to see it for free :yahoo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjudge/

Biggin Hill international cheese fair 2011 (TBC)

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Eagledriver F-15E wrote:I read in certain posts of people going to Duxford on Friday. I'm just wondering : what can you see at Duxford on friday as most planes are based there. I expect arrivals to be a minimum. Are there any rehearsels going on? And can you get near to the action, or is the airfield closed and do you have to stand in the landing?

All info is welcome.

Eageldriver

Friday is generally busy with practice/air tests, pilots qualifying for display time and arrivals, subject to the weather of course. It can get a bit quiet mid afternoon but then pick up later on as pilots finish their day jobs and start arriving in their aircraft particularly military ones. The nearest you get to the action is the crowd barrier, which is close enough, as the airfield proper is closed to the public until the airfield walk during the show. If it's not raining, as is forcast at the moment but since when have the weather men got it right, it can be a very productive day photo wise.

All hangers are open, normal opening time (10.00) and entry prices apply.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

I finish college (in cambridge at 3:00) and could get to Duxford by 4. Is that a bit too late to go to make it worthwhile or would you recommend it?

Ben

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

TheOriginalMonty wrote:I finish college (in cambridge at 3:00) and could get to Duxford by 4. Is that a bit too late to go to make it worthwhile or would you recommend it?

Ben

Ben

As I said, if it's not raining, then you should see some action for the last couple of hours and I think it's also a reduced price for a late entry as well but don't hold me to any of the above if it doesn't happen :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

SJMF-15

Post by SJMF-15 »

Pen Pusher wrote:As I said, if it's not raining, then you should see some action for the last couple of hours and I think it's also a reduced price for a late entry as well but don't hold me to any of the above if it doesn't happen :biggrin:

I think they stopped the free late entry because people were abusing it. The museum shuts at 6.00pm and they recommend you enter no later than 5.00pm.

Are you at Long Road or Hills Road Ben? You could catch the Citi 7 to Duxford, it stops at The Wheatsheaf, then walk up Grange Road (good view!!). It would save you paying to go in the museum for the small amount of time you would be there.

Sam

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

SJMF-15 wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:As I said, if it's not raining, then you should see some action for the last couple of hours and I think it's also a reduced price for a late entry as well but don't hold me to any of the above if it doesn't happen :biggrin:

I think they stopped the free late entry because people were abusing it. The museum shuts at 6.00pm and they recommend you enter no later than 5.00pm.

Are you at Long Road or Hills Road Ben? You could catch the Citi 7 to Duxford, it stops at The Wheatsheaf, then walk up Grange Road (good view!!). It would save you paying to go in the museum for the small amount of time you would be there.

Sam

Sam - Im in my second year at Hills Road now. Yeah i had thought about the Citi 7 but when i looked at the bus stop at the station it says that only buses up until 16:35 call at the IWM. Not sure how far it would be to walk from Duxford village, especially when i only would have a limited time there anyway. Might try you recommended - is the Wheatsheaf in Duxford?

Ben

SJMF-15

Post by SJMF-15 »

Yes, The Wheatsheaf is in Duxford village. If you walk from there towards the Plough pub you'll see Grange road ahead of you. Walk up the road and over the bridge over the M11 and you'll have a good view onto the airfield.

1. Wheatsheaf bus stop
2. Plough
3. Grange road
4. Airfield

Dream Police

Post by Dream Police »

Or you could just stop in the Plough. :smile:
Used to be a great pub, dunno what its like now though.

Looking at Google Earth its only about a mile from the Wheatsheaf to the back of the airfield on Grange Road.
Are we really the Dream Police?

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

Cheers Sam quite tempted to go, as long as i am not looking like a muppet on my own. Is anyone else going to be there?

SJMF-15

Post by SJMF-15 »

Don't know. :grin: I've been there on normal days (i.e. not the day before an airshow) and there's been a few people sitting in cars watching.