someguy1

Re: Autumn Airshow 2010

Post by someguy1 »

did the seafire display cause i dont remember seeing it :question:
i see it do a flypast but thats it

someguy1

Post by someguy1 »

Swordfish ftw great to see it in the air!!!

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Fantastic end to the season!!! Loved that Apache,and The Pitts were great.A great day!!
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

someguy1 wrote:did the seafire display cause i dont remember seeing it :question:
i see it do a flypast but thats it

Seafire only took part in the Navy flypast. It did not do a solo display. It replaced he Sea Fury from the Navy Historic Flight.

Thanks

Martin

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

FFS, I went for a walk in a field near Duxford and there was an airshow on AGAIN! :hypno: :snack:

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Ben H wrote:FFS, I went for a walk in a field near Duxford and there was an airshow on AGAIN! :hypno: :snack:

Strange how that happens to so many people! And another thing, they all seem to get a much better view of the aeroplanes too! :smile:

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Really enjoyed the show today. There was a nice variation with the display acts and a few “firsts” for me. A show which was very much value for money...... :up:

JAB

Post by JAB »

A good day and brilliant displays all round. I like the DC-3 display

I asked someone at TFC and the P40 is the first in the books to come back to air the corsair,wildcat & hellcat are last.
Also other news I heard was that the BBMF hurricane was ment to land but as there MK XIX spitfire is still there the Hurricane has to wait and will come back in new colours :smile:

ATB
James
Last edited by JAB on Sun 10 Oct 2010, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supporting WZ507.

The Americans claim victory right at the end.
As ever.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

DanO1978 wrote: The negatives - far too much filler - half an hour of Pitts Specials got very tiresome, very quickly. Not a fan of the Cosmic Wind, and was it worth the F-15s opening Lakenheath on a Sunday and burning $$$ of fuel for a single high, level flypast?

Complaints from some one who didn't pay to get in. :roll:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Aside from the American Air Day this year, today was my first Duxford show in 7 years..and it was quality! DC3 pair, Apache and Sabre were the highlights for me.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Pen Pusher wrote:
DanO1978 wrote: The negatives - far too much filler - half an hour of Pitts Specials got very tiresome, very quickly. Not a fan of the Cosmic Wind, and was it worth the F-15s opening Lakenheath on a Sunday and burning $$$ of fuel for a single high, level flypast?

Brian

Having watched the show on the Planes TV stream i thought the Pitts were very good, hopefully a 4 ship demo will be offered for next year. :rock:

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

Maybe the Pitts were up quite a long time but I still thought they were very good throughout. Generally I thought the show was brilliant with few exceptions and excellently displayed to the payloaders complete to my own payloading satisfaction :clap:

Cheers

Martin

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

I didn't go today, but I generally think that criticisms of the flying display content become pretty irrelevant when the full line-ups are published in advance!!

JAB

Post by JAB »

Oh yeah forgot about that, I also like the Hawk role demo, maybe next year they should do that and get the synchro pair from the red arrows to do the stuff the hawk did as a display.
Supporting WZ507.

The Americans claim victory right at the end.
As ever.

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian

Looks more like an opinion to me and there are no laws against expressing an opinion.

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

I am not a fan of the Hawk role demo. Gives you everything you want if you are outside the airfield but nothing except underside turns and straight level passes if you are inside.

Under the circumstances of whatever happened earlier this year, I think the demo should be viewed as a temporary fix in and I prefer it if a proper display routine came back next year

Martin
Last edited by SEMAE on Mon 11 Oct 2010, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

tug23

Post by tug23 »

Great show,great weather,great end to the season..well done Duxford :smile: :clap:

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

DanO1978 wrote:
SEMAE wrote:I am not a fan of the Hawk role demo. Gives you everything you want if you are outside the airfield but nothing except underside turns and straight level passes if you are inside. Would prefer it if a proper display routine came back next year.

Martin

That's exactly what the full Hawk display has given for the last 2-3 years! The Role Demo is much fresher, the dirty passes are a welcome inclusion.

I have just edited my post. The demo novelty value will soon wear out.

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

I do concede that the Hawk display looked better a few years ago but a role demo allows for very little variation and would be the same every year :smile:

Cheers

Martin

RodMcKenzie

Post by RodMcKenzie »

Enjoyed the flying quite a bit more than I expected - the weather & light for photography certainly helped! The Dakotas were the unquestioned highlight for me, and makes me wonder why Legends shies away from multiple DC3 displays. The Swordfish appearance, fleeting though it was, was a big bonus, especially for my Dad who loves that thing! Was also very impressed by the helicopters - nice to see the Apache close up, and that's the most entertaining I've found the Black Cats in a while. The Cub truck-top landing is always great to watch! :shock:

Wee bit disappointing that the timing was off on the Sally B "balbo", but overall this was a very solid programme, and a nice way to round off the season :smile:
Destiny, Harmony, Melody, Rhapsody & Symphony

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Ref the timing on the Sally B flypast, I think the F-15s miscalculated. They were initially lined up but then aborted and had to to another circuit and so were late arriving.

I thought it was an excellent show and the weather was fantastic. Swordfish was a lovely surprise, but the Daks were stunning. I loved seeing four Pitts together for the first time in decades. RN formation was certainly different. It's not often you see a formation of an in-line prop, radial prop and jet together. I actually thought the Red Hawks was quite a graceful routine with their 'hamster loops' (it's been called when they chase each other in loops) being very well executed.

In all a great end to the season.
Simon

someguy1

Post by someguy1 »

What happened to the second Harvard is was ready for takeoff then went back to the flightline?

Lumix

Post by Lumix »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian

Yes, I see the free-loaders were out in abundance today! .....how the tide turns!

AngliaPhotography

Post by AngliaPhotography »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian

Don't bother Brian, I've paid to get in to all seven Duxford displays and the BBMF day with the family this year (and most others) at an average of £100 per show and the arguments that the field goers come up with strike me as being a bit self-centred. What really worries me is if there is an incident even a minor one like a groundloop that harms any of these individuals the potential for airshows being even more regulated than they are now is huge, and not just Duxford either.

Oh, and I personally thought the Pitts teams were brilliant. Maybe if more paid to get in there would be more funds for items that aren't fillers as some perceive them to be, although personally again I hate the term 'filler' when applied to someone's pride and joy that they pay a fortune to keep in the air every year and give up their spare time to display.

RodMcKenzie

Post by RodMcKenzie »

Yeah, "filler" is an unfortunate term - there's always aircraft that seem less exciting than others, but by the same token everything is probably somebody's favourite! A lot depends on how you show it off - I think the Cosmic Wind is a lovely aircraft (and it's certainly rare) but it just becomes a fast-moving dot at Duxford: I'd love to see it being wrung out at a more intimate venue like Old Warden or Shipdham. And I'll back up wv383's point about the Redhawks being underrated (though they might want to drop The Verve for next season :music: !).

Just to put some perspective on this, on the bus ride from Cambridge there was a Chinese student who was absolutely psyched about everything on the flying programme, and reminded me of myself when I was about ten years old - it made me think how lucky I am to be able to get to so many flying events throughout the summer, and it certainly made me more appreciative of what I'd presumed was going to be a 'run-of-the-mill' display :clap:
Destiny, Harmony, Melody, Rhapsody & Symphony