BoB Display DVD

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
trebleone
UKAR Supporter

BoB Display DVD

Post by trebleone »

Arrived in the post yesterday, watched it last night ... excellent quality filming and very well edited - a great memento of a superb display - many thanks to Adrian and the crew at PlanesTV :clap:

lanemiker

Re: BoB Display DVD

Post by lanemiker »

trebleone,

Ditto your comment and sentiment to the folks at PlanesTV. I received my BoB Display DVD last week. Very well done :clap: :clap: :clap: !!!

Cheers,
Lance
Canon 7D (2) gripped, Canon 40D gripped, 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, BushHawk

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Got it right after it was released (was impressed by the post's speed to Belgium :shock: ) and what a terrific piece of work it is, also with the October show!

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Sorry but I have to disagree with the comments on this DVD. I was expecitng mighty things when I ordered it but was so disappointed when I viewed it. Aircraft disappearing out of the top of shot - due to not panning correctly. even clipping the wings of the nearest part of the formation on the single massed flypast due to zooming in too close - that close zooming really started to bug me by the end of the programme. I showed the DVD to a friend who was with me at the show and his comment was 'the worst peice of film editing i've ever seen'. Comment mainly based around the constant cutting to different taxying aircraft when the commentary is talking about what's flying.

For me i'm afraid planes TV have a lot to learn from the producers of the Legends DVDs - yes Planes TV distribute it but they don't make or film it. In that programme each aircraft is shown taxying and displaying in a sequence and the camera zooms out to show the aircraft in its proper form without it drifting out of shot.

For the record, i did immediately express my opinions in private direct to Planes TV, but didn't even get the courtesy of a reply.
Simon

Iain PlanesTV

Post by Iain PlanesTV »

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback - I'm happy to see that on balance that we seem to delivering.

Simon I'm sorry not to have come back to you sooner, I'm afraid my current workload and the effects of plenty of the white stuff outside have meant I've only just responded to your email. I hope I've addressed the points you raised to your satisfaction, I'll attempt to do so here too if I may.

The example you've given me in both your email and your message here regarding what you feel to be incorrect panning is the 16-ship Spitfire formation flypast. For readers who haven't had the opportunity to buy a copy of the programme (available here while stocks last :wink:), here's what we're talking about...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCMK_e_3698[/youtube]

Whilst the programme itself includes mini-cam material from both the lead and slot aircraft in the formation and an extra telephoto shot of the aircraft arriving in the distance, this is effectively the material that's being critiqued here. I simply cannot accept that losing the wing-tip of the aircraft on the edge of the formation is in any way distracting to anything like the majority of the audience of the programme. As I said in my email I feel strongly that this material combined with the telephoto shot of the 16 spits arriving, the wide material shot from in the crowd and the mini-cam material is a very good portrayal of one of the most poignant airshow moments I’ve had the privilege to depict on video.

There will be moments in the programme where a pan may not be as smooth as you and I would prefer and I'd have loved to have had an extra camera or two for flexibility there.

Regarding your comments about the "constant cutting to different taxying aircraft when the commentary is talking about what's flying" - well that's an airshow for you! This style is explained to the viewer during the Red Arrows sequence (which is the first display item) where Baggers 'leaves the aircraft to do the talking' as Sally B and the Mustangs taxi past. Did your friend watch the programme from start to finish?

Our style is an attempt to give the viewer a sense of being at the event and often you will hear an aircraft taxiing past as another displays. We sometimes explain this by showing a shot of the aircraft making the racket, particularly if we can include a shot where both the taxiing aircraft and the aircraft currently displaying are in the same shot together.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from others that have watched the programme on that last point.

Cheers
Iain

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

Iain PlanesTV wrote:Our style is an attempt to give the viewer a sense of being at the event and often you will hear an aircraft taxiing past as another displays. We sometimes explain this by showing a shot of the aircraft making the racket, particularly if we can include a shot where both the taxiing aircraft and the aircraft currently displaying are in the same shot together.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from others that have watched the programme on that last point.

I approve :up: - it's how I remember the day, watching from the 'tank bank', I was often switching my gaze (and where my camera was pointing) from the sky to whatever was taxiing past in front - that's the way it was and the DVD presentation captures the memory and the atmosphere perfectly for me :smile: