Legends 1996

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
The Dudster

Legends 1996

Post by The Dudster »

dont know if this is the right place but ive just been looking at a DVD i found in a box at a car boot sale and brought for a quid of the 1996 Legends and wondered if anyone can help Identify some of the aircraft in it, and where they may be know.

There appears to be 2 bearcats one marked with a white 100 the other 106, 2 Lysanders i can only see identification of one on the tail is 00 SOT., then there a whole plethora of P51's i can only describe them as below
1 turquise spinner possible Jumping Jacque, Old Crow, a red nose and blue upper fuselage P51, Candyman, Susy, one with markings Y R7 and another H UF

I have other legends and DX shows from the 90's on DVD and VHS and it seems that there was more variety of aircraft flying then than now and would be interested to see what others think.

Chris :smile:

WG655
UKAR Staff

Re: Legends 1996

Post by WG655 »

Bearcat '100' is still with TFC at Duxford, though in a different colour scheme
'106' is now in the States with John Session's Historic Flight Foundation
'Jumpin Jacques' flies with Hangar 11 out of North Weald
Candyman has since been repainted into the colours of P51 'Ferocious Frankie' and is still at Duxford though now with OFMC
And I believe 'Susy' is now resident in Germany

I think there were larger numbers of certain types back then, now there are a fair few more different aircraft, although that doesnt mean the numbers have increased

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

The Bearcats were both TFC machines; cab 100/S was refinished in 1999 I believe into the scheme it still wears today at Duxford.
Aeroplane '106' was NX800H which was exported back to the USA some years ago.

The Lysander was G-BCWL, owned by Wessex Aviation and Transport and until moved to Duxford in 1995 it was flown out of Henstridge very rarely.
Now with Kermit Weeks in the USA and seldom, if ever, flown.
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

RodMcKenzie

Post by RodMcKenzie »

OO-SOT is the Sabena Old Timers Lysander, which has just come to end of a protracted rebuild following a landing accident.

There were certainly more Mustangs participating in Legends back in '90s (eight wasn't unusual, and I think they hit double figures at least once). I don't think the overall variety has altered that much, though there are fewer multi-engined types, and the balbo has contracted from over 40 aircraft to around 25 today. There's a perception that revised safety rules have dampened the overall exuberance of the flying, although if you saw last year's performances by the Dakota and Polikarpov, you'd definitely disagree :shock:
Destiny, Harmony, Melody, Rhapsody & Symphony

F-86

Post by F-86 »

I believe that there were nine Mustangs there that year, the highest number at any of the Legends shows. There were four from France, four from the UK and the SHF's Old Crow.
Two of the Mustangs based in france were destroyed in fatal accidents in 1998.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

P-51 coded R7-Y carried the serial 412471. It's correct serial was 44-63788 and on the French civil register as F-AZFI.
Lysander OO-SOT carried the RCAF serial 2442 and codes MA-D. It's serial as built was V9546.