Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
WG655
UKAR Staff

Duxford Airshows 2012

Post by WG655 »

Off the IWM site:

The Jubilee Air Show
27th May 2012
Celebrating the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in style, The Jubilee Air Show brings together historic and contemporary aircraft from the past 60 years and beyond. Enjoy a fantastic flying display fit for royalty.

Flying Legends
30th June 2012 to 1st July 2012
Flying Legends - two words which instantly evoke the very best of classic aircraft displaying at Duxford in one of the world's most celebrated air shows.

The Duxford Air Show
8th September 2012 to 9th September 2012
The Duxford Air Show is the highlight of Duxford’s calendar of flying events. In an outstanding aerial spectacle, the very best historic and modern aircraft display in the skies over this famous airfield.

Autumn Air Show
14th October 2012
Closing the air show season for 2012, the Autumn Air Show presents a thrilling aerodynamic show with a relaxed end-of-season atmosphere. Featuring aircraft past and present, the Autumn Air Show offers a fine selection of aerial demonstrations with something for all aviation interests.

lanemiker

Re: Duxford Airshows 2012

Post by lanemiker »

WG655,

You beat me to the submit button. I saw the Duxford Airshow schedule right after you and was going to post it.

Thanks for putting it up. I have already noted our calendar with these dates. Hope we can fit all these dates in next year. Going to be a busy year for us.

Lance
Canon 7D (2) gripped, Canon 40D gripped, 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, BushHawk

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Snap - saw it first thing this morning. Looking forward to the shows already!! :biggrin:
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

They are good dates for me so I should be able to attend all. Looking forward to it.

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

No question as to where I'll be come Legends weekend! :king: :win:

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

Apart from viewing the posts on here regarding Duxford's 2012 airshow dates, i seem to be unable to locate them on the official IWM website. Has anyone else had a problem finding them ? personally i found their previous website much easier to use.

Chris

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

The Dudster wrote:Apart from viewing the posts on here regarding Duxford's 2012 airshow dates, i seem to be unable to locate them on the official IWM website. Has anyone else had a problem finding them ? personally i found their previous website much easier to use.

Chris

Looks like they haven't been uploaded to the site currently. As for the new site, I like it a lot. Especially the video that greets you on the opening page! :clap: :biggrin:

James

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Hi,

Booked a train from Liverpool Lime Street to Cambridge for the May airshow at Duxford, due to it being on a Sunday the train only gets into Cambridge at 12.55. Will I still be able to get to Duxford in time for the show starting? Also will the shuttle bus from Cambridge train station to Duxford still be running at that time?

Any info would be appreciated

Regards

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

When is the recommended time to arrive at Duxford on show day, by car? I'm considering going to the event in May and have 'tentatively' pencilled in an arrival time of between 9-10am - I've never been to the May Duxford event, due to work, and therefore would appreciate any advice on travel.

Thanks.

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Hans Barrichello wrote:When is the recommended time to arrive at Duxford on show day, by car? I'm considering going to the event in May and have 'tentatively' pencilled in an arrival time of between 9-10am - I've never been to the May Duxford event, due to work, and therefore would appreciate any advice on travel.

Thanks.

Arriving at that time is more than adequate. The only time I've known it to be a bit busy around that time is Flying Legends weekend.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Kieran wrote:
Hans Barrichello wrote:When is the recommended time to arrive at Duxford on show day, by car? I'm considering going to the event in May and have 'tentatively' pencilled in an arrival time of between 9-10am - I've never been to the May Duxford event, due to work, and therefore would appreciate any advice on travel.

Thanks.

Arriving at that time is more than adequate. The only time I've known it to be a bit busy around that time is Flying Legends weekend.

Many thanks, Kieran. :smile:

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Driving on the motorway early in the morning is lovely too! No traffic! :biggrin:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

eddywinch82 wrote:Hi,

Booked a train from Liverpool Lime Street to Cambridge for the May airshow at Duxford, due to it being on a Sunday the train only gets into Cambridge at 12.55. Will I still be able to get to Duxford in time for the show starting? Also will the shuttle bus from Cambridge train station to Duxford still be running at that time?

Regards

A free courtesy bus runs from Cambridge to IWM Duxford on Air Show days. The bus departs at regular intervals from Cambridge Railway Station and Trumpington Park & Ride at Junction 11 of the M11 from 8.30am and then every 30 minutes until approximately 1.30pm. Buses will return to both Cambridge railway station and to the Park & Ride at regular intervals from 3pm and then every 30 minutes, with the last bus leaving IWM Duxford at 6.30pm. Timings of buses may be affected by local road traffic congestion.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Kieran wrote:Driving on the motorway early in the morning is lovely too! No traffic! :biggrin:

Yep! :grin:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

eddywinch82 wrote:Hi,

Regards

Does the train stop at Whittlesford? About a 20minute walk from there.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Kieran wrote:

Thanks.

A word of caution. Some shows seem to catch the public's awareness more than others and get stacked pretty quickly. This being a 'special' Jubilee event it's probably worth aiming to get there earlier if you can.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

No the train goes direct to London euston, then I am getting a train from kings cross to cambridge train stn i dont think it stops at whittlesford on the way.

Regards

Mike

Post by Mike »

You need to get the Liverpool St (rather than Kings Cross) to Cambridge train, which stops at Whittlesford.

Orion

Post by Orion »

Mike wrote:You need to get the Liverpool St (rather than Kings Cross) to Cambridge train, which stops at Whittlesford.

Before I got the car, my friend and I used to travel to Whittlesford from Liverpool St, but the train didn't stop there on Sundays. Don't know if its changed, best to check. There is a pub adjacent to the station which is a useful watering hole while waiting for the train, or the one after that ... etc.

Regards

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

just wondering is the last bus from cambridge train station to duxford at 13.30 on the show day for the spring jubillee
airshow ? any info would be appreciated

Regards

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Timings apply to all air shows as it's on the front page of the web site.

A free courtesy bus runs from Cambridge to IWM Duxford on Air Show days. The bus departs at regular intervals from Cambridge Railway Station and Trumpington Park & Ride at Junction 11 of the M11 from 8.30am and then every 30 minutes until approximately 1.30pm. Buses will return to both Cambridge railway station and to the Park & Ride at regular intervals from 3pm and then every 30 minutes, with the last bus leaving IWM Duxford at 6.30pm. Timings of buses may be affected by local road traffic congestion.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook