Spitfires/Merlins/Motors @ DX - 05Aug12

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Pen Pusher

Spitfires/Merlins/Motors @ DX - 05Aug12

Post by Pen Pusher »

For this new event, we partner the iconic Spitfire with stunning classic cars, represented by car clubs such as the Rolls Royce Enthusiasts Club. Hear the unmistakable roar of the exhilarating engines that power these thrilling modes of transport.

We are delighted to confirm the following line-up:

Spitfire 1A, Aircraft Restoration Company (flying and static display)
Spitfire V, Historic Aircraft Collection (flying and static display)
Spitfire IX, Old Flying Machine Company (flying and static display)
Spitfire IXT, Air Leasing (static display)
Spitfire IXT, Aircraft Restoration Company (static display)
Spitfire, Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (flying display; exact aircraft to be confirmed)
Spitfire XIX, Rolls Royce (flying and static display)

The museum will be open from 10am until 6pm. There will be separate flying displays between 2pm and 4.30pm.

All flying is subject to weather, serviceability and operational commitments.

Dux Web
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

The Dudster

Re: Spitfires/Merlins/Motors @ DX - 05Aug12

Post by The Dudster »

Any more news on this ie participating spitfires etc etc or just what's on the IWM website !??

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Has the RR Spitfire returned to the air yet or is it still under going overhaul?

Cheers
James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

It hasn't broke cover yet although I've seen piccies of it in it's new PRU blue colour scheme.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

From the IWM Web Site
10am-6pm

For this new event, we partner the iconic Spitfire with stunning classic cars, represented by car clubs such as the Rolls Royce Enthusiasts Club. Hear the unmistakable roar of the exhilarating engines that power these thrilling modes of transport.

We are delighted to confirm the following line-up:

Spitfire 1A, Aircraft Restoration Company (flying and static display)
Spitfire V, Historic Aircraft Collection (flying and static display)
Spitfire IX, Old Flying Machine Company (flying and static display)
Spitfire IXT, Air Leasing (static display)
Spitfire IXT, Aircraft Restoration Company (static display)
Spitfire, Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (flying display; exact aircraft to be confirmed)
Spitfire XIX, Rolls Royce (flying and static display)

Discover Vintage presents a vintage fair in the Conservation Hall in AirSpace. Exhibitors will be selling vintage fashion, homeware and curios from the 1930s to the 1950s. Enhancing the nostalgic atmosphere will be a gramophone DJ and singing group. If you wish to be part of the vintage fair as a trader, please go to http://www.discovervintage.co.uk.

Aircraft Restoration Company will be offering on the day a rare opportunity to sit in a real Spitfire. This costs £15 per person and includes a souvenir T-shirt and photo opportunity. All proceeds go to the Blenheim Restoration Fund.

For a great day out why not order a Picnic Hamper and enjoy a perfect ration-free picnic lunch for two.

The museum will be open from 10am until 6pm. There will be separate flying displays between 2pm and 4.30pm.

All flying is subject to weather, serviceability and operational commitments.

Book tickets to Spitfires, Merlins & Motors

If you would like to book a designated area for your car club, please call 01223 499 307. Individual classic car owners are invited to participate - if you arrive in a classic vehicle you can benefit from a reduced admission fee of £9.95.

Cost:
Tickets can be purchased online or by calling the Box Office on 01223 499353. Advance booking closes on 31 July.

Adult £17.00
Child (under 16) Free
Senior/Student £13.60
Unemployed (with ES40) £13.60
Disabled Adult £13.60
Disabled Senior/Student £11.90
Carer for Disabled Visitor: Free (one free carer per disabled person)
Friends of Duxford Free

Brian

DfG on Facebook

cw318is

Post by cw318is »

Thought I'd add a bit of life to this thread as its not far off. Quite looking forward to this, its going to be like a mini Goodwood but in Cambridgeshire!

Just for frolics a small group of us thought we'd get into the spirit and dress for the occasion. Anyone else fancy joining in?
DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.

neilos

Post by neilos »

Still undecided on this one.

Do I go to Duxford for free, or pay and attend my first Shuttleworth display..... :dunno:

Sezzy

Post by Sezzy »

Is this new for this year? That's the idea I get from the website..

Will it be all kinds of classic cars on display? It does say "stunning classic cars, represented by car clubs such as the Rolls Royce Enthusiasts Club" So I suppose because it says 'such as' it means that it wont only be Rolls Royces?

I need something to do with my young lad (and better half!) on Sunday, he does love cars.. (still trying to get him to love the aircraft..lol) I was just wondering if it'd be an array of cars (like the website is making it sound like) or just Roll's?

I would come just for the Spitfires... But really don't want a bored 13 year old on my hands pinching my iPhone to play the games because there is not much else to see! Thanks.
Don't be afraid of the dark... Let it be afraid of you.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Sezzy

There should be other classic cars there, apart from the odd Rolls Royce. I think they just mention the RR club for the RR Merlin bit in the title. The RR Spitfire XIX is still down as flying. So far I haven't heard it had it's post restoration test flight yet.

Fingers crossed for today then. :whistle: :biggrin:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

neilos

Post by neilos »

Sezzy wrote:Is this new for this year? That's the idea I get from the website..

Will it be all kinds of classic cars on display? It does say "stunning classic cars, represented by car clubs such as the Rolls Royce Enthusiasts Club"

They did something similar years ago, I'm taking probably the 1980's here. Back in the day when the printed programme was quite a substantial thing and worth having.... :biggrin:

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Having seen it today, Rolls Royce XIX clearly won't be flying tomorrow... Having had a brief glimpse in H3, I vaguely recall that MH434 didn't look all that serviceable either...

A shame IWM haven't posted some up to date info or a schedule for this event.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Thoroughly enjoyable day out despite the rain. The forecast I saw said scattered showers. Fortunately the rain dumped all in one go just before mid-day for about 45 minutes and with a glorious sunny afternoon I could even see the Lancaster loitering for Old Warden in the far off distance. The rain didn't even put off people queuing to sit in the ARCo T9 which was eventually towed into hangar 3 to get out of the rain. There were a lot of people there and I never actually made it to see any of the cars. Much preferred wet Spitfires and a moody black sky. :biggrin: The HAC and OFMC Spitfires took off together, displayed together and touched down together. Can't get better than that. JR flew the Mk1 and nothing else to say. Superb. I don't know if the BBMF Spit displayed as I had a bus to catch in Cambridge.

If on again next year, thoroughly recommend.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

neilos

Post by neilos »

I buggered off just after mid-day. Only took couple snaps.

TBH, I'm surprised DX treated this as a normal admission day.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

A most enjoyable day that showed you don't have to have umpteen aircraft to put on a cracking show. Ears still ringing from the ground runs of the Merlins. :)

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Pen Pusher wrote:Thoroughly enjoyable day out despite the rain. The forecast I saw said scattered showers. Fortunately the rain dumped all in one go just before mid-day for about 45 minutes and with a glorious sunny afternoon I could even see the Lancaster loitering for Old Warden in the far off distance. The rain didn't even put off people queuing to sit in the ARCo T9 which was eventually towed into hangar 3 to get out of the rain. There were a lot of people there and I never actually made it to see any of the cars. Much preferred wet Spitfires and a moody black sky. :biggrin: The HAC and OFMC Spitfires took off together, displayed together and touched down together. Can't get better than that. JR flew the Mk1 and nothing else to say. Superb. I don't know if the BBMF Spit displayed as I had a bus to catch in Cambridge.

If on again next year, thoroughly recommend.

Brian

Stayed until well after the Mk.1 landed and no sign of the BBMF Spitfire.