The Duxford Air Show - 08/09Sep12

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
eirik
UKAR Supporter

Re: The Duxford Air Show - 08/09Sep12

Post by eirik »

crokketofcambs wrote:Thanks eirik for the timetable of flying,any chance of sundays line up and running order?I see that reds are closing the show,should make for an entertaining exit from the site!.
I was thinking of taking a shot of tomorrows programme on my way out, but I forgot to do so. A discussion about photography distracted me :smile:
Last edited by eirik on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Part of the Norwegian Spitfire Foundation.
http://www.norwegianspitfire.com

My photos:
http://aviationpix.no

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

DanO1978 wrote:You weren't mug enough to pay the £4.50 were you?

No, i was not :lol: saved the hassel and brought my own food :icecream:

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

cw318is wrote:Now its fixed but its just departed off to North Weald!

Yeah that was annoying hope he at least do one pass but nope :facepalm: though I notice it went to North Weald the way they don't normal go. best dispay for me was the Hawk and it looked great in the light.
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

planesgalaxxyclacton

Post by planesgalaxxyclacton »

Shame the T-33 couldn't display. The first 3 were amazing as were the Hawk and the Aerostars, but it was still a great show.

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

Airshowhammer wrote:
DanO1978 wrote:You weren't mug enough to pay the £4.50 were you?

No, i was not :lol: saved the hassel and brought my own food :icecream:

That's scandalous. was parked at the side of the AAM and the queue for the single ice cream van that end of the show ground well the only one i could see was huge. I thought £13.00 for 3 egg and bacon rolls was pretty steep too but yes i paid that at 8.00am.
The weather was fantastic just a little to hot as the veteran i was with was overcome by it and i had to leave as the Yak's were displaying, very big crowd the biggest i have seen since the 2010 BofB air show with 16 spitfire's. I will post some of my inadequate pictures latter !

In a Maze

Post by In a Maze »

Will the Red Arrows make it today, they had problems at Portrush on Saturday one aircraft went tech and another had a bird strike leaving a shortened display with 5 aircraft.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Well I did something at a 2 day Duxford show that I haven't done at a 2 day Duxford show before. I sat at the crowd barrier to watch the display. Lots of room and compared to yesterday, not as many people about. I wonder why that was :whistle:

If there was a prize for the best display, then I nominate the 2x Buchon's. :clap: :clap:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Pen Pusher wrote:Well I did something at a 2 day Duxford show that I haven't done at a 2 day Duxford show before. I sat at the crowd barrier to watch the display. Lots of room and compared to yesterday, not as many people about. I wonder why that was :whistle:

If there was a prize for the best display, then I nominate the 2x Buchon's. :clap: :clap:

Brian

"If there was a prize for the best display, then I nominate the 2x Buchon's"

:rock: :clap:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Does anyone have footage of the mustang incident? im sure he went a little to close for comfort! :hide:

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Airshowhammer wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:Well I did something at a 2 day Duxford show that I haven't done at a 2 day Duxford show before. I sat at the crowd barrier to watch the display. Lots of room and compared to yesterday, not as many people about. I wonder why that was :whistle:

Brian

I would nominate the RAF Hawk as best display 2nd by the TFC P51 & P47.

James

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

JBartlett wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:

Brian

James[/quote

The Bearcat was also superb!
Last edited by Airshowhammer on Sun 09 Sep 2012, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Airshowhammer wrote:
JBartlett wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:

Brian

James

Also the F8F:biggrin:

Yeah Stephen flew that brilliantly.

someguy1

Post by someguy1 »

Airshowhammer wrote:Does anyone have footage of the mustang incident? im sure he went a little to close for comfort! :hide:

No footage but No.12 was just as it turned back in!

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46576

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Having looked at Pic 12, I've seen quite a few practice displays with Spitfires that look like that. It's probably perspective and they do appear to be behind the tree line.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I would not call Miss Velma's seeming to go behind the tree line an incident as such - sure it was all under perfect control. That ridge tends to create that illusion sometimes. Comedy moment when Ben Dunnell first told us we were going to get a short display by the T33 after all - it took off, turned to the left and vanished, then we were told that, actually, it was just going back to NW! Speaking of Ben, always provides a great and authoritative commentary, one tiny negative fo me is his tendency to over indulge in aircraft codes, down to minute levels of detail - seems to be a bit unneccesary, even if DX has a bigger enthusiast core than most UK shows...
On the whole, another great display and bring on the Autumn show, which is always a really lovely way to close the season.

st24

Post by st24 »

UKTopgun wrote: Speaking of Ben, always provides a great and authoritative commentary, one tiny negative fo me is his tendency to over indulge in aircraft codes, down to minute levels of detail - seems to be a bit unneccesary, .

:grin: Agreed - I love his full "Hispano Aviacion Aitch A one one one two dash M one L Buchón" - always makes me grin. Nice to hear detail though and knowledge in a commentary..

A very enjoyable event - Duxford have nailed the full, varied display for a long time in my book. :clap: Few have mentioned the Aerostars - a cracking team, with very good in front of crowd presence, bravo guys.. The P-51 "incident" is a nonsense; lets worry about passengers in a burning Rapide, not a Mustang flying behind a hill.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

someguy1 wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Does anyone have footage of the mustang incident? im sure he went a little to close for comfort! :hide:

No footage but No.12 was just as it turned back in!

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46576

That looked fine to me when i saw it just Nick Gray being the new Ray Hanna :grin: though he did do a brilliant display in Miss Velma.

James

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

st24 wrote:
UKTopgun wrote: Few have mentioned the Aerostars - a cracking team, with very good in front of crowd presence, bravo guys.. .

I have to agree with that. One of the most underrated acts on the display circuit in my opinion. Always put on a top notch show and the weekend was no different.

eirik
UKAR Supporter

Post by eirik »

SuffolkBlue wrote:
st24 wrote:
UKTopgun wrote: Few have mentioned the Aerostars - a cracking team, with very good in front of crowd presence, bravo guys.. .

I have to agree with that. One of the most underrated acts on the display circuit in my opinion. Always put on a top notch show and the weekend was no different.

I could not agree more!

Eirik
Part of the Norwegian Spitfire Foundation.
http://www.norwegianspitfire.com

My photos:
http://aviationpix.no

Duxfordian

Post by Duxfordian »

Aerostars are always brilliant. Always something to see. The hammerhead stalls were perfectly done and in time. :clap:

st24

Post by st24 »

Duxfordian wrote:Aerostars are always brilliant. Always something to see. The hammerhead stalls were perfectly done and in time. :clap:

Absolutely. Have to admit that I breathed a significant sigh of relief as the Hawk pulled out of that astonishingly, achingly slow loop, looked almost overcooked but mighty impressive....

CH2

Post by CH2 »

Yeah I thought the same, looked up and thought, wow never seen a Hawk do a tail slide before, of course it didn't but was impressive all the same........anyway was he supposed to do that.
Cheers,

Chris

st24

Post by st24 »

CH2 wrote:Yeah I thought the same, looked up and thought, wow never seen a Hawk do a tail slide before, of course it didn't but was impressive all the same........anyway was he supposed to do that.

The slow loop after a slow dirty 360/pass has been a part of Hawk sequences for many a year, it's just that the Saturday one looked toooo slow over the top, maybe just an optical illusion.
RAF Hawk T1 solo displays 1977-2012, one of the most consistently precise jet demos you'll ever have had the pleasure to have seen.. :clap:

CH2

Post by CH2 »

Agree, I reckon the first one I saw was at the Tollerton air display probably circa 78 or 79. As a kid trying to take a picture of it with my Extra.
Cheers,

Chris

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

st24 wrote:
CH2 wrote:Yeah I thought the same, looked up and thought, wow never seen a Hawk do a tail slide before, of course it didn't but was impressive all the same........anyway was he supposed to do that.

The slow loop after a slow dirty 360/pass has been a part of Hawk sequences for many a year, it's just that the Saturday one looked toooo slow over the top, maybe just an optical illusion.
RAF Hawk T1 solo displays 1977-2012, one of the most consistently precise jet demos you'll ever have had the pleasure to have seen.. :clap:

I decided to myself that it was an optical illusion did look like a tail slide for a bit , A truly great Hawk display for sure, often its display isunfairl under rated.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/