Legends wasn't broken - please don't fix it

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
AlexC

Re: Legends wasn't broken - please don't fix it

Post by AlexC »

[quote="DamienB"]My only issue was the massive change from overlapping take-offs, displays, landings to the gappy sequence of displays we had this year.

That seems like plenty to be going on with to me! :tongue:

One other thing that seemed very different this year compared to previous years that I've attended was that very few aircraft taxied past those of us massed at the tank bank end. Of the fighters perhaps just the P-38, P-47 and Bearcat did so if I remember rightly. Most of them turned off way before they reached us. Whether or not this was because there was a strong wind down the runway and therefore they didn't need such a long landing run I don't know?

One further thing and a test for those of you who know a thing or two. What was the registration of the yellow T-6 Texan or Harvard that was parked opposite the American Museum marked ANG etc? I don't think I've ever seen that one before.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Isn't it KF 729 - the Classic Wings Harvard??
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I think a yellowish harvard flew in with the Aerostars on Sun - no idea of the owner though...

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Ah - I can't help - I was there on Saturday.

Dragon Rapide

SI20NINE

Post by SI20NINE »

Dragon Rapide wrote:
SI20NINE wrote:thanks Dragon Rapide just checked out a picture of it and you was spot on. it was flying nice and low over southend on sea. that was the 1st i had seen of it :biggrin:

And it flies nice and slow so you get plenty of time to enjoy it!! :wink: :biggrin: And next time you'll spot the third engine in the nose....

yes i must admit i didnt spot the 3rd engine untill i checked the pictures out online :facepalm:

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

:lol:

Dragon Rapide

Exiler

Post by Exiler »

I have been going to Flying Legends for 16 years now. Each year has been as good as the last, this year was no exception. The 2012 show provided many people with unique opportunities. The first was the 3 x Mk 1 Spitfires in formation. How many could say we would have seen that? Will we see it again?
The second item, the Sikorsky S-38, a very strange bird indeed but I really liked it. I don't think 'throwing' it about the sky was the done thing. Displaying it in the way it was provided us with the best way of seeing it. Thirdly the return of a P-47 to the skies over Duxford.
This aircraft has been immaculately restored, a lot of effort went into restoring her for this show.

These are just a few examples of items we saw which were firsts or give Legends its unique side. In my eyes we were once again spoilt by TFC and the IWM in terms of a line up and display, where else can you see three different types of Curtiss Hawk fly, including the H-75? simple answer is very few places if anywhere at all. Each year with we are spoilt with such line ups. We have seen many fantastic aircraft over the years. The FW-190, SAAB B-17, Liberty Belle and many more.

But it isn't only the aircraft we are spoilt with it is the veterans who attend the show, the people who Legends represents in one respect, Man and Machine. Yet way to many of us take the show for granted. Flying Legends, for me is more than an airshow, its a chance to meet up with old friends, meet new ones. It is a chance to gain information and understand how some of these aircraft came about. It is also a chance to remember, for me remembering my Grandfather who introduced me to aviation and airshows.

I felt that the tempo of the show this year was a lot more sedate but no it didn't take anything away from it in fact it was nice to have a bit of a change of pace. You had time to absorb each individual act realising what you just witnessed. Yet many people use this as grounds to moan about the show. The constant whining and negativity that surrounds Legends every year is not something that I buy into, it does on occasions annoy me as I am aware how hard the guys not only at TFC but other organisations including the IWM work to bring us the delights of Flying Legends. Many of those who moan in my eyes do not have the right to moan, they 'free load', which to me automatically forfeits your opinions on the show. It is not something I would consider with Flying Legends.

There may come a time in the not to distant future where Flying Legends ceases to exist. Where we see none of these machines or men flying in unison and when that comes we will only be left with the memories. I like to hope we would choose to remember the positives, the great moments of the show, the people we have met and those who have since left us.
To close I would like to recount a memory from one of my first lone visits to Flying Legends.

Watching the Mustang 'stampede' A gentleman came up behind me as I was photographing the on coming aircraft. He shouts 'P51, Cadillac of the skies!!!' at the top of his voice. I jump back in shock. Looking back I saw him laughing as he had not only made me jump but a good percentage of the other spectators fixated on the aircraft do the same as me. It is one of the most vivid Legends memories I have.

The man was Steve Young.

Stewart.

Rob140

Post by Rob140 »

One further thing and a test for those of you who know a thing or two. What was the registration of the yellow T-6 Texan or Harvard that was parked opposite the American Museum marked ANG etc? I don't think I've ever seen that one before.

G-DDMV/493209/49-3209 c/n 168-313 T-6G Texan based @ Sywell

Rob

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Just wondering why didnt the BBMF go to Waddington and duxford both days ?
Waddington is only just up the road from duxford surely weather permitting it
would be possible to display at both venues both days ?

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

did anyone else notice that on sunday at least the naughty field was almost deserted...

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

It seemed pretty empty on Saturday as well....

Dragon Rapide

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

I see plenty of people in The Naughty Field cluttering up my photos from Saturday.

About the "normal" numbers I have seen over the last couple of years, but maybe slightly down - which I would put down to the weather and competition from Waddington. Nowhere near the numbers we saw for the Jubilee show, that was extraordinary.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Your last sentence - yes, absolutely. Perhaps that is what I am comparing Saturday's lot with..... :wink:

Dragon Rapide

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Rob140 wrote:G-DDMV/493209/49-3209 c/n 168-313 T-6G Texan based @ Sywell

Many thanks Rob! :smile:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Airbag

A new guys take on Legends 2012

Post by Airbag »

Hi there everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle..

I have been nuts about old planes for many years, but I have only been to Flying Legends twice. Once in 2008 and again last weekend for the 2012 show.

The 2008 show made an ENORMOUS impression on me. The two B17's, the tail chasing P51's, it was quite simply the best airshow I have ever been to my whole life. I rambled on about it to anyone who would listen for months afterwards.

So, in 2012, after working abroad for a few years, I am now back in the UK and really keen to return. Six of us travelled up from Berkshire, and we even splashed out and got Gold passes so we had great views.

Here are my observations:

1. It seems churlish to complain. After all you don't see a brace of Mk1 Spits in the air every day ! But the display was a lot more muted than I remember the 2008 display being. The 2008 show was choreographed to perfection and there was never a dull moment. The 2012 show had none of the choreography and some of my colleagues nodded off in the afternoon sun ! The gaps between displays were quite long. I still loved it, but i missed the excitement of the 2008 display.

2. The tail chase of 2008 with the P51's was not a feature of 2012 and I missed it. This time the three P51's seemed to take it pretty easy. The whole display seemed a lot more cautious this year - maybe because of the collision last year? People with more knowledge than me may have an answer to that.

3. I missed not seeing a B25, or some more twins. But hey, it can't be easy to get them every year.

4. The Australian Navy liveried Sea Fury is a monster of a plane and its sheer speed was very impressive. I thought the pilot ( what was his name, anyone ?) flew with style and grace. A beautiful aircraft and the highlight for me.

5. The P47 is a fabulous aircraft but it seemed to have been flown with some caution - perhaps reflecting its "new" status and its first showing?

Finally, maybe my memory is playing tricks, but all the aircraft seemed a lot further away? I am by no means an airshow regular, but the displays seemed to split into two with some aircraft operating in a box on the far side of the airfield while another operated nearer to the crowd. The ones on the far side seemed much further away than I remember - the green Yak , for example, seemed a long, long way away when it was doing its thing.

All in all, I had a great time. I will return again next year, simply because it is the only way to see so many of the machines that I love all in one place. But compared to the cherished memory of the 2008 display, I cannot help but be a little disappointed.

But maybe I am being churlish and complaining too much. It was still a fantastic sight - seeing an assembly of old aircraft in the sky always will be.

Looking forward to 2013 ! :smile:

larky

Re: A new guys take on Legends 2012

Post by larky »

I agree with you.
I was at Duxford in 2010 and 2011. This year show wasn't that good.
Merlin engine - sweetest sound in the world

http://www.spfl.pl

Rob140

Post by Rob140 »

AlexC wrote:
Rob140 wrote:G-DDMV/493209/49-3209 c/n 168-313 T-6G Texan based @ Sywell

Many thanks Rob! :smile:

No probs - A/C also went to Haitian AF as 3209 then to N3240N before becoming DDMV info via net search

Rob

No Nickname

Post by No Nickname »

The yellow Harvard DDMV is nowadays based at Headcorn in Kent.
I was the one lucky enough to be bringing it into legends. Does anyone know of any photos capturing our arrival in formation with the aerostars?

NN

Rob140

Post by Rob140 »

No Nickname wrote:The yellow Harvard DDMV is nowadays based at Headcorn in Kent.
I was the one lucky enough to be bringing it into legends. Does anyone know of any photos capturing our arrival in formation with the aerostars?

NN

NN Thanks for the heads up, as far as a shot of your arrival with the aerostars I'm afraid mine are way below par, poor picture & in silhouette. I was battling with the light all day, but might have a half decent one to send of your landing. PM me if you like.

Cheers

Rob

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

Rob140 wrote:
No Nickname wrote:The yellow Harvard DDMV is nowadays based at Headcorn in Kent.

NN

NN Thanks for the heads up, as far as a shot of your arrival with the aerostars I'm afraid mine are way below par, poor picture & in silhouette. I was battling with the light all day, but might have a half decent one to send of your landing. PM me if you like.

Cheers

Rob

Hi NN same as me well below par but have posted them if you like you can use them
[imghttp://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h459/alohha1234/P7016482-1.jpg?t=1341480472][/img]

Chris

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

A new guys take on Legends 2012
by Airbag on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 9:31 am

Hi there everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle..

I have been nuts about old planes for many years, but I have only been to Flying Legends twice. Once in 2008 and again last weekend for the 2012 show.

The 2008 show made an ENORMOUS impression on me. The two B17's, the tail chasing P51's, it was quite simply the best airshow I have ever been to my whole life. I rambled on about it to anyone who would listen for months afterwards.

So, in 2012

some i took in 2008 never to return prehaps

these may return !??
Not sure about these as i haven't seen them since as far as i can remember but stand to be corrected

Chris

Daz

Post by Daz »

The Guinot team are now the Brietling Wing Walkers so same aircraft different Sponsor and livery.
Proud Grandson of an Avro Shackleton "boy"

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

DanO1978 wrote:
Smog Monster wrote:I actually like the French commentator. It's refreshing to hear someone talk so effortlessley about how aircraft make them feel, as opposed to just rattling off facts, figures and a scripted description of what's happening. I know his style won't be to everyone's taste, but I like it.

It would be a very dull world if every airshow sounded the same. M.Chabbert's style suits Legends perfectly. Glad to see the UKARians, who know a thing or two, can appreciate him.

I find him annoying there times we just want hear the sound of the engines especially when the BBMF are flying it would be nice to hear someone from TFC speak as well as its there show plus owners/pilots of the other aircraft taking place.

Does anyone know what the Harvard was that took off before the show and arrived near the end again on the Saturday?

Cheers
James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

wv383

Post by wv383 »

It was the Harvard used by Classic Wings for the pleasure flights.
Simon

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

JBartlett wrote:
DanO1978 wrote:
Smog Monster wrote:I actually like the French commentator. It's refreshing to hear someone talk so effortlessley about how aircraft make them feel, as opposed to just rattling off facts, figures and a scripted description of what's happening. I know his style won't be to everyone's taste, but I like it.

It would be a very dull world if every airshow sounded the same. M.Chabbert's style suits Legends perfectly. Glad to see the UKARians, who know a thing or two, can appreciate him.

I find him annoying there times we just want hear the sound of the engines especially when the BBMF are flying it would be nice to hear someone from TFC speak as well as its there show plus owners/pilots of the other aircraft taking place.

Does anyone know what the Harvard was that took off before the show and arrived near the end again on the Saturday?

Cheers
James

During the morning there are several interviews with pilots, owners, people involved with the aircraft, guest veterans, etc etc and all before M. Chabbert arrives. He only commentates during the display and I understand your feelings, many share them, but I don't find him annoying or intrusive.

Dragon Rapide