Legends wasn't broken - please don't fix it

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
DamienB

Legends wasn't broken - please don't fix it

Post by DamienB »

Legends has always been one of my favourite shows. You never know where to look - something is always starting up, taxiing, taking off, landing or displaying - never a dull moment.

Until this year.

No take-offs during other displays - departures and other displays held while landings take place. Gaps of several minutes during which nothing happened at all. No joker during the gaps between balbo passes. One of the stars of the show, the S-38, managed three straight line passes and then landed.

Please please please guys put it back to how it was. The sheer level of activity was what made Legends what it was - not just sheer numbers of Spitfires or Mustangs or other warbirds. It's almost as if it's become just another Duxford show (and funnily enough my ticket did say 'July Air Show' on it!).

On the plus side - Sea Fury with smoke generator - fantastic. Swordfish - fantastic. Mk1 Spitfires - fantastic. Etc.

Pen Pusher

Re: Legends wasn't broken - please don't fix it

Post by Pen Pusher »

the S-38, managed three straight line passes and then landed

That's all it did for the flights on Tuesday and the press day Wednesday.

Although I enjoyed the show, it didn't feel like Legends but the smoking Sea Fury was good.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

markstringer

Post by markstringer »

It's clear the organisers have listened to the general public. Planes parked differently ( how do u guys feel about it), announcements about step ladders etc.

One thing which I have noticed is a notable increase in price of both entry and flight line, which in reality is costing you 40 quid for the whole day out? Again, I'm in a fortunate position to able to afford this but im sure many people would really be stretched to pay for this?

My first thoughts this morning were pretty negative to be honest. I kept thinking when are the rest due to fly in? Only 1 old warden participant, no Salis cOllection, no Akary, no Mr Carlsson, no air fighter academy and no Belgian sky raider. Coincidently all of whom were involved in incidents last year.

But do you know what? What a show! I'm ashamed at myself for moaning like an old woman! I currently look like I've been to Chernobyl with my bright red face, but it was well worth it! Fantastic p38 aeros, superb spitfire and buchon chase, Goujon rocked in the sea fury, loved the hawk trio, and the list goes on! Have to echo about Snafu, as it always seemed really far away?

Well done TFC, I'm sorry for doubting you! I'll be back next year!
Last edited by markstringer on Sat 30 Jun 2012, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

DanO1978 wrote:Agree with every word, Damien.

UKAR review of 2011 Flying Legends wrote:With aircraft constantly taking off, displaying and landing, the three hour slot is almost continuous. Myself and several others, while enjoying the spectacle, felt rather uneasy with aircraft displaying at low level and high speed in the same area of sky as other machines on final approach though. Being immersed in a multiple-aircraft display like the tailchase is one thing, but to have that going on while other aircraft are recovering created a few moments of genuine concern. This doesn't happen, to my knowledge, at any other airshow - and for good reason. There's certainly no need to end outright the non-stop pace of Legends, but perhaps given the lessons of 2011, things might be looked at a little more closely, especially the issue over landing aircraft while others are running in to display. No-one wants to see a sanitised, sterile Legends, but we all want the show to be as safe as possible.

It seems Flying Legends 2012 was exactly what UKAR's reviewer wanted.

Can we please form a line to kick Dan B in the nads?

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

The S38 display today as no different to the display it did at La Ferte Alais in May so I guess the appearance of the aircraft at Legends was a hype.

I agree with the display by Snafu. Up the eastern end the display completely stymied by the Fortress up in the air at the same time.

I got a few good shots of the three Mustangs but it was certainly not the tail chase of previous years. Medium speed in fairly loose formation I would call it. Perhaps an example of fixing something that was not broke and nearly breaking it.

A few first displays were hardly worth taking pictures. No topside from the P 38 at all at the western end. Improved a lot after the first hour though.

A gaggle of Spitfires flying about in the background is something I always find frustrating every year at Legends. Would be much better for the other two Spits land first then the others could display for two or three minutes closer to the people they are meant to be displaying to.

In a naughty context, the day when I cross to the 'other side' is getting closer.

Martin
Last edited by SEMAE on Sun 01 Jul 2012, 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Orion

Post by Orion »

Just got back and I found it to be a pretty un-engaging show. The Mk1 Spitfires were a dead loss, very little of the Sikorski and the P-38. Too many gaps in the action and ended up in a row with late-comers who objected to me and others standing to take photos. We were at the front because we arrived first, they at the back.

Legends needs to be re-thought. The tail-chases are very dull and occur too far away from the spectators; the special attractions are not given enough time to display and there are periods when nothing is happening at all. All a bit like the nineties!

Regards

markstringer

Post by markstringer »

I have to say, there was a lot of talk from people that it wasn't up to scratch. I enjoyed it for what it was.

On a curious note, the guy on the kit crazy stall. Legend. Complete nutter running around at 100 mph!

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

DamienB wrote:

UKAR review of 2011 Flying Legends wrote:With aircraft constantly taking off, displaying and landing, the three hour slot is almost continuous. Myself and several others, while enjoying the spectacle, felt rather uneasy with aircraft displaying at low level and high speed in the same area of sky as other machines on final approach though. Being immersed in a multiple-aircraft display like the tailchase is one thing, but to have that going on while other aircraft are recovering created a few moments of genuine concern. This doesn't happen, to my knowledge, at any other airshow - and for good reason. There's certainly no need to end outright the non-stop pace of Legends, but perhaps given the lessons of 2011, things might be looked at a little more closely, especially the issue over landing aircraft while others are running in to display. No-one wants to see a sanitised, sterile Legends, but we all want the show to be as safe as possible.

It seems Flying Legends 2012 was exactly what UKAR's reviewer wanted.

Can we please form a line to kick Dan B in the nads?

LMAO! :clap: :rock:
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

Johnhill

Post by Johnhill »

Since the appearance of a September show a few years back (Battle of Britian show?), Duxford seem to be promoting the September show as the premier event of the year over the Legends.

This far ahead (over 2 months to go) and already the listing shows, Red Arrows, Hawk,Tornado,Tucano, Dakota, Spitfire, Hurricane, B17, Hawk 75, Bearcat and Thunderbolt.

Is it me or is the September show getting bigger and the Legends smaller?????

Rob.Brindley

Post by Rob.Brindley »

DanO1978 wrote:Anyone else see Miss Velma apparently stall in the tail chase, visibly slide in the air, and leave the display for a few minutes?

Yep... Scary moment which I wont forget. They seemed to have a pretty long talk about it when they came down:

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

I enjoyed the show despite the problems mentioned by others dissapointed there were no hurricanes didnt they get 4 in the air once at legends, but none at all surprised me, also only 3 mustangs good flying though remember a time when 6 or 7 wasnt uncommon at legends. Great as always to see the bbmf but why only the spitfire 19 in the final fly through with the lancaster, also which spitfire mk1 got undercarriage problem ? worth it in the end 3 hour train journey from liverpool. Also meant to say i enjoyed the hawker nimrods louder than some hurricanes flying today.
Last edited by eddywinch82 on Sun 01 Jul 2012, 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigBlackCat

Post by BigBlackCat »

Johnhill wrote:Since the appearance of a September show a few years back (Battle of Britian show?), Duxford seem to be promoting the September show as the premier event of the year over the Legends.

This far ahead (over 2 months to go) and already the listing shows, Red Arrows, Hawk,Tornado,Tucano, Dakota, Spitfire, Hurricane, B17, Hawk 75, Bearcat and Thunderbolt.

Is it me or is the September show getting bigger and the Legends smaller?????

Flying Legends is a TFC show not and IWM one, so you can see why the IWM promote their September show as their premier event (2 days as opposed to the single day May and October shows).
Last edited by BigBlackCat on Sat 30 Jun 2012, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Messers Schmidt

Post by Messers Schmidt »

The "star" items were horrendously underused. The S-38's display was shockingly brief, and who on earth thought to display THE star, SNAFU, at the SAME TIME as Sally B, only furthest from the crowd?

And no Hurricane?

I know high-level discussions were had within the UK airshow hierarchy after the fun and games on the Sunday last year, so can only imagine the changes came from this.

Anyone else see Miss Velma apparently stall in the tail chase, visibly slide in the air, and leave the display for a few minutes?

I actually did not mind SNAFU displaying with Sally B, as to be honest they both compliment each other. I do however agree SNAFU was a bit distant and a closer formation flypast with the Fortress would have looked great. I did enjoy the show, but the gaps in the display were noticable. Catalina display was way to short in my opinion, a lot shorter than the S-38 and yes, Hurricanes where are they all! sorely missed.

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

The "star" items were horrendously underused. The S-38's display was shockingly brief, and who on earth thought to display THE star, SNAFU, at the SAME TIME as Sally B, only furthest from the crowd?

And no Hurricane?

I know high-level discussions were had within the UK airshow hierarchy after the fun and games on the Sunday last year, so can only imagine the changes came from this.

Anyone else see Miss Velma apparently stall in the tail chase, visibly slide in the air, and leave the display for a few minutes?

I have to say i still found the show to be a great day out I echo the £40 price for entry and flightline walk seems a bit high, However the airfield was full up and the price compares well to other events these days. I did not think the show flowed as well as had done in the past but it was still a very high standard show, One bug bear is that the Joker routine was not flying in between passes of the Bilbo, this left big gaps at that time which was unfortunate.

Parking the aircraft the other way round was pretty good as meant I obtained different shots of old favourites and some nice angles. Its nice to have changes at times but I hope not all Duxford shows do the same with the flightline walk.
The P-38 put on a very good aerobatic display, rather more aeros than I remember from last year and more than I expected. I agree that some aircraft are too far away during the show I wish the Hawk 75 had done some topsides and that some of the tailchases do take the aircraft too far away from the crowd.

Both the S-38 and Catalina were up for such a short space of time that for me they felt under used and rushed, Was a bit puzzled Snafu was up with Sally B but did not do a flypast with her and remained distant for most of her display.
Noticed Miss Velma seeming to stuggle at top of the loop then fall away, was for a moment fearing she was out of control , was so happy when she out flew the situation seen that go bad in the past. The other thing was the Mk1 Spitfire with a sticky undercarriage leaving only one flypast of all 3 mk1's. which was a pity but still a magical sight.

The weather made for some interesting landings and prevented the WW1 element from flying, I also assume the the Skyraider went tech or something, and a few items did not appear that were in the programme(this is normal and I'm not critising)
All in all it was another good show and I really would like to thank the organisers and pilots for putting on such a display in difficult conditions and in a difficult economic climate.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

Corky

Post by Corky »

I will admit although I enjoyed Legends today and will be going next year it did feel a bit "off." One person next to me described it as lacklustre and I think for some parts of the show I would have to agree.

The three Spitfire Mk 1s were spectactular to see, such a shame that they didn't display longer but the other headliner acts were a bit disappointing. I personally hoped that today would be a prime opportunity to display Sally B with all of her little friends, namely a Mustang, Thunderbolt and a Lightning, did TFC slip up on this?

Also there just seemed to be a lack of numbers of certain aircraft types such as Mustangs and Skyraiders plus there were no Hurricanes!

Sorry if this sounds like I'm whining, maybe I've become complacent from previous displays and now expect certain displays.

Despite this I still enjoyed today and look forward to next year where hopefully more will return.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Will see these changes in the display format tomorrow but if they make for a safer less chaotic at times show I will be all for it.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Well, I have just got in from a cracking day out thanks. Photographically it turned out to be amixed bag, partly due to the early weather and partly due to borrowing a 100-400 and struggling with it in the wind but that is my problem :sad:
As for the show? Well yes it did seem like numbers of certain aircraft were down, notably some of the usual French contingent were missing. I thought some of the events of last year probably had an effect on this years display but to be fair, it wasn't planned for AR213 to have an undercarriage problem which caused the Baby Spit display to be curtailed and as for the Miss Velma incident, I can't say I saw it because I didn't but I wondered why the formation had split. SNAFU may have been far away at times but boydid she look and sound fantastic. :rock:
Overall, I thought it was not a "Vintage" Legends but I still enjoyed my day out. Sometimes it's better to just rest the camera and use Eyes and ears without any distraction to just take it all in, even more so for me having looked at some of my shots today :grin:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

People complaining about not seeing anything at the western end. Why do you think I go down the eastern end. :biggrin:

I usually go up the western end on practice days and can't see what the fascination is with the Tank Bank. I can never get a good angle on anything that's displaying.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Rob.Brindley wrote:
DanO1978 wrote:Anyone else see Miss Velma apparently stall in the tail chase, visibly slide in the air, and leave the display for a few minutes?

Yep... Scary moment which I wont forget. They seemed to have a pretty long talk about it when they came down:

Yes I notice this I thought something was wrong with the aircraft never clicked that it stalled who was the pilot? I did think this was a bit dull this year it seemed to be the tail chase show this year and it did make me think should I bother next year I let the tiredness wear of first, there was a Hurricane the HAC was sitting in its hanger :grin: though I did notice the HAC Spitfire was missing I guess down here in Kent doing that Action stations?

btw what happened to the Skyraider I saw they towed it into the TFC hanger and the BBMF Mk II Spitfire left after its display?

Cheers
James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Go stand on the embankment next to the tank trialing ground.
Get the clipped wing, griffin spitfire take off over you.
That's your entrance duly paid for and more. Everything else is gravy.
The Lancaster display was the best I have seen in a long time, it caught the sun beautifully. The yaks were impressive, especially the blue one. The weather provided the most perfect viewing, to see the planes against the clouds but glistening in the sun - especially the lightning. If you want to look down a lens fine, if you are interested in vintage aircraft put your camera away and stop whining, cup your ears and enjoy the sights and sounds of the moment.

I don't care for your photo opportunities, though you guys do come up with some stunning photography I'm not knocking it, but the day for me is not about that. It's about being young and alive, listening to the roar of engines and the subtle lines of certain types as they swoop about. So there was less this year than at other years, well that's a shame. But I woke up this morning looking forward to hearing the roar of a merlin, a griffin, and the emotional resonance that such sounds and sights behold. And that's what I got.

If you are there to get a photo, you are not an aviation enthusiast. Throw your camera away, and enjoy it with you eyes and your ears because you may be dead before you get the photos developed/onto a computer.

It was brilliant.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Teaboy wrote:If you are there to get a photo, you are not an aviation enthusiast. Throw your camera away, and enjoy it with you eyes and your ears because you may be dead before you get the photos developed/onto a computer.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

I have read and looked at and enjoyed the, as always, terrific pictures posted here but the following words... "I don't care for your photo opportunities, though you guys do come up with some stunning photography I'm not knocking it, but the day for me is not about that. It's about being young and alive, listening to the roar of engines and the subtle lines of certain types as they swoop about. So there was less this year than at other years, well that's a shame. But I woke up this morning looking forward to hearing the roar of a merlin, a griffin, and the emotional resonance that such sounds and sights behold. And that's what I got.".....posted above sum up my feelings exactly.

I love the flying and some years it's great, some less so, but never less than a marvellous day out. Very few people ever mention everything else going on there - my whole morning is taken up with the landside activities, stalls, events and hangars, but not forgetting the hour airside enjoying the array of wonderful aircraft on display. And I wallowed in the noise of the engines lovingly cared for and run by the WW2 Aero Engine Society.

Legends has its detractors and those who love to knock it but I am unashamed fan. :yahoo:
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

Northdownaeros

Post by Northdownaeros »

You whingers should stand back and realise how all this sounds to those who DO enjoy air displays for what they are.

Despite what the majority on here might think, air displays are not put on for the benefit of photographers. It sounds like most of the star whingers never even paid and were in 'the naughty field' where they run the risk of being killed if an aircraft comes down..

I'm amazed that for all these years, the airshows have been doing it so wrong and you lot can do it so much better. I'm waiting for a UKAR funded show where your 'wish list' of unrealistic aircraft can be displayed.. Still waiting. :lmao:

As a very respected display organiser recently said, "Get your pants back on, get out of your bedroom and put your money where your mouth is, after you've asked your mum for some pocket money"

Also there just seemed to be a lack of numbers of certain aircraft types such as Mustangs and Skyraiders plus there were no Hurricanes!

3 Mustangs not enough? P38? More Spitfires than you could ever see anywhere else in the air at the same time. Skyraider went tech, as did 2 of the Spitfire 1s. It happens, so get over it.

Get a grip and accept that times are financially constrained and it's not always possible to have exactly what YOU want. You could have gone to Waddington and seen jets.

I enjoyed it :heyhey:
Kodak Instamatic
Binos
An anorak
Notebook & pencil

Duxfordian

Post by Duxfordian »

Yesterday didnt feel like Legends. The gaps were noticeable and I have not seen the Tank end so empty at Legends in years.

The flying was at times boring. The Stagger Wings and Wingwalkers Legends? A Yak Team today?

The arrogance of TFC there for us all to see. Grey might know war birds, but he doesnt know, any more, how ti put them together into a satisfying airshow.

I'll be at Old Warden today thank you

Corky

Post by Corky »

3 Mustangs not enough? P38? More Spitfires than you could ever see anywhere else in the air at the same time. Skyraider went tech, as did 2 of the Spitfire 1s. It happens, so get over it.

Don't get me wrong I'm more then pleased at what flew, just wish there was more! I also fully understand that these can be complicated and at times challenging aircraft to keep running and if they go unservicable then it can't be helped.

The sights and sounds are fantastic and unforgettable and I'm already eagerly awaiting next year but compared to previous years it seemed a bit "light" on the ground and in the air.