Flying Legends 2013

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Pen Pusher

Re: Flying Legends 2013

Post by Pen Pusher »

The P-38 has engine problems but Reports on the Key Forum that the Red Bull B-25 flew into Duxford late last evening. Presumably flying down to Fairford with the Corsair when the airfield opens for traffic.

Shall have a look this morning :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Yesterday was the first time for me at Legends, went with my old man and there was stuff there even he'd not seen before and he's seen a lot. Personally I feel for £35 it was great value for money with the chance to see so many great looking/sounding warbirds.

Unfortunately I think people forget that airshows aren't just catered for the photographer, there were far more people stood around me without a taking a single shot. Yes I understand people want the best shot but with the tricky light conditions at times i found myself putting my camera down and just standing back and watching the awesome spectacle.

I've read comments on here complaining about the line up and comparing it to years gone by, this isn't there, that isn't there yet they still go in or go in the naughty field so obviously it can't really be that bad can it ? times have changed and everything costs these days just be thankful we still get to see so many wonderful aircraft all in one place.

The highlight for me was the Balboa, an amazing sight and the sound was even better.

I will definitely be going back next year.

Gillesh

Post by Gillesh »

Flying Legends is a complete package, good airshow, great museum, re-enactors, entertainment, bookshops...I enjoyed it...yes it's expensive , and coming from Belgium I can tell you I spent a lot of money. I am not going every year, maybe for a day, but not the full week end. If it still exists I might return in a year or two. That keeps the experience fresh for me.
I am rather surprised at the amount of moaning and complaining here. If it's too expensive, if the planes are too far away, if you don't like the concept of all the action going on at the same time, etc...there is one simple solution: stay home.

My prediction? It will only get worse than what you see now. Fuel costs, finding qualified staff, sponsoring...the world has changed the last 10 years and I am even surprised they manage to keep these old things up there.

By the way...how much is a ticket for a Chelsea-Manchester football match? And how far are you from the action, what guarantees are there for a good quality match, and how much nice profit doe the gentlemen soccer players make on it? Just one example....
It's a free world where the customers decide where they spend their cash. Stephen Grey is not forcing your to buy a ticket. If you don't like it, find something else to do...life can be very simple. Why keep coming back to something you don't seem to enjoy.

I for one, enjoyed it.

MikeCooper1990

Post by MikeCooper1990 »

The show was fantastic. I particularly enjoyed the displays by the Avenger, Sea Furys & Corsair. Does anyone know why the Wildcat didn't display on Sunday.
2023: Shuttleworth, Abingdon, RIAT, Duxford

Petedcollins

Post by Petedcollins »

Pen Pusher wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:Wonder if wind direction changed sufficiently today to merit a change of take off runway? Saturday felt odd with no fighters giving the western end a haircut!

Taking off from the M11 end on Sunday.

On another note, the Swordfish was dragged away with a noticeable dent on the fin. Anyone know how it got it?

It was parked outside TFC yesterday when I arrived. Just had a look at my photos and can't see any dent. Plenty oil on the forward fuselage and torpedo though.

Brian

The swordfish arrived late on Saturday and missed its slot, it needed to come down to have the fuel and oil sampled and topped off for its display, however when it did manage to get a landing slot it couldnt cool down in time to be serviced and back up in the air.

On Sunday it was being towed onto the flight line as the tractor went over a powercable, this dislodged the tow bar, the tractor stopped however sadly the swordfish didnt and it rolled into the tractor damaging the rudder. They got on the blower and a spare was being driven up by car but it didnt arrive in time for the show, we towed it out of the TFC hangar shortly after the museum closed and it departed for home before the B25 arrived.

Hope that helps

Pete

Petedcollins

Post by Petedcollins »

P.s the oil is normal, it just leaks alot :)

Gillesh

Post by Gillesh »

You are very welcome

neilos wrote:I'd avoid doing the tourist bit in Cambridge on a Sunday at all cost!!!. And that's coming from a local!!

Do Duxford, you know it makes sense.... :biggrin:

As a Cambridge local myself I second that.[/quote]

Though I was exhausted I took a little tour round kings college Saturday evening after returning from the show. Sunday got up very early and decided to return to Duxford. I do not regret it...nor do I regret the amount of money I spent. And yes, I also hope that there will be future editions with more aircraft, but let's stay realistic. I had a great week end out. And a quick browse through my memory cards make me a happy man.

Just one more remark...someone said the Manhatten Dolls sing out of tune. Well , I'm a musician myself, and I can tell you, 100% sure, that they sang in tune (at least what I saw on Sunday). It's not a world class act and does not pretend to be so, and it's just fun to have an act like that (one of them was so kind to pose for me at the car near the briefing room)...she's a beauty...the car, or the doll? :wink:

timuss

Post by timuss »

The terminal decline in British Airshows was clearly on show this weekend :grin:

What else can be said a great weekend at Duxford to many highlights:

Meeting Mr Eric Goujon what a nice guy!!
Seeing the two blue nosed Mustangs :love:
The Avenger what a beauty, nice display yesterday
The awesome display by the Norwegian Dakota :shock:
The P-40 Marc Mathis what a guy how low was he!!!
The Mustang tailchase as a whole was brilliant some lovely passes
Stephen Grey's last display in the Bearcat the music was a great touch.

Just a few of the highlights for me can't wait for 2014!!!
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Teddyeddie

Post by Teddyeddie »

Gillesh I 100 % agree with you
as a new member on the forum there does seem to be a fair bit of harping back to previous years and wingeing.
things move on, the huge rises in costs,including much higher public liability insurance and fuel cost to name just two and just the pace of life these days means the logistics of putting this fantastic show together each year must become more and more daunting and challenging for all concerned
For me and my daughter it's all about seeing true flying icons of yester year all together and importantly flying together surely that is what really matters.
While watching the display Saturday we were surrounded by the photography bods who appeared more interested in "taking their best shot" than watching,enjoying and understanding the real significance and uniqueness of the whole event.
So to all the organisers and back room staff and everybody at Duxford at the weekend bravo !!
Can't wait to be back next year.

Gillesh wrote:Flying Legends is a complete package, good airshow, great museum, re-enactors,
entertainment, bookshops...I enjoyed it...yes it's expensive , and coming from Belgium I can tell you I spent a lot of money. I am not going every year, maybe for a day, but not the full week end. If it still exists I might return in a year or two. That keeps the experience fresh for me.
I am rather surprised at the amount of moaning and complaining here. If it's too expensive, if the planes are too far away, if you don't like the concept of all the action going on at the same time, etc...there is one simple solution: stay home.

My prediction? It will only get worse than what you see now. Fuel costs, finding qualified staff, sponsoring...the world has changed the last 10 years and I am even surprised they manage to keep these old things up there.

By the way...how much is a ticket for a Chelsea-Manchester football match? And how far are you from the action, what guarantees are there for a good quality match, and how much nice profit doe the gentlemen soccer players make on it? Just one example....
It's a free world where the customers decide where they spend their cash. Stephen Grey is not forcing your to buy a ticket. If you don't like it, find something else to do...life can be very simple. Why keep coming back to something you don't seem to enjoy.

I for one, enjoyed it.
Last edited by Teddyeddie on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gillesh

Post by Gillesh »

timuss wrote:The terminal decline in British Airshows was clearly on show this weekend :grin:

What else can be said a great weekend at Duxford to many highlights:

Meeting Mr Eric Goujon what a nice guy!!
Seeing the two blue nosed Mustangs :love:
The Avenger what a beauty, nice display yesterday
The awesome display by the Norwegian Dakota :shock:
The P-40 Marc Mathis what a guy how low was he!!!
The Mustang tailchase as a whole was brilliant some lovely passes
Stephen Grey's last display in the Bearcat the music was a great touch.

Just a few of the highlights for me can't wait for 2014!!!

Indeed hearing David Gilmour's guitar and voice (Dave being an enthusiast himself) on that epic Floyd track Shine On You Crazy Diamon, together with the majestic Bearcat was a great touch. Sometimes music works really well with a display. Anyhow, as an amateur photographer, as somebody with a really big interest in history and in aviation, I can only say that nowhere in Europe could you find all these things in one event.

I'll stop singing praise now :smile:

TheDuck

Post by TheDuck »

Petedcollins wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:Wonder if wind direction changed sufficiently today to merit a change of take off runway? Saturday felt odd with no fighters giving the western end a haircut!

Taking off from the M11 end on Sunday.

On another note, the Swordfish was dragged away with a noticeable dent on the fin. Anyone know how it got it?

It was parked outside TFC yesterday when I arrived. Just had a look at my photos and can't see any dent. Plenty oil on the forward fuselage and torpedo though.

Brian

The swordfish arrived late on Saturday and missed its slot, it needed to come down to have the fuel and oil sampled and topped off for its display, however when it did manage to get a landing slot it couldnt cool down in time to be serviced and back up in the air.

On Sunday it was being towed onto the flight line as the tractor went over a powercable, this dislodged the tow bar, the tractor stopped however sadly the swordfish didnt and it rolled into the tractor damaging the rudder. They got on the blower and a spare was being driven up by car but it didnt arrive in time for the show, we towed it out of the TFC hangar shortly after the museum closed and it departed for home before the B25 arrived.

Hope that helps

Pete

Thanks for clearing that up. Glad it wasn't anything too serious.

st24

Post by st24 »

Thought the Yaks were phenomenal, as were the 'stangs. Hawker formation too really stood out but boy, two Gladiators.....tissue time me thinks...No it wasn't a classic legends and last minute minor prangs and old aeroplanes not behaving themselves let the numbers down but all of the acts were great value - the Sea fury/Corsair pairing complemented each other beautifully I thought.
Another very enjoyable airshow day made all the better by this stunning run of good weather we're having even though the haze early on was a pain. The company was excellent up the M11 end (on my own :whistle: ), it went downhill later on though....
Now where's this amazing outside everyone's talking about?!.... :lmao:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Cracking show I thought. One day in on the tank bank, one out for me. Despite a broken toe which made walking torture and has rendered me practically immobile today to punish me for my efforts!

The Yaks were fabulous - proper balls out flying - and the ex-NZ Hurricane was lovely too. Would have made a great pairing with the Spit with the black/white underside though. Ever since my first Airfix kit I've thought that scheme was the classic scheme for both types. Fab to see an Avenger again and the whole show just gelled together brilliantly. Hawker formation and Glad pair were silvery icing on the cake.

I even managed to shame one of the burger sellers into putting an extra slice of bacon on a bacon roll. And onions.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

DanO1978 wrote:
DamienB wrote:I even managed to shame one of the burger sellers into putting an extra slice of bacon on a bacon roll. And onions.

Forget the NZ Hurricane, Moonbeam McSwine and the Avenger, surely this was the rarest sight at Duxford this weekend? :lol:

An even rarer sight would have been DanO paying to get in. J/K :lol:
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Has anyone got any attendance figure's for the two days?. Just wondering if they were close to sell out at all.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

Just seen an event posted on the TFC face book page 12 -13 July 2014 Flying Legends should i start a new thread !!!!!! :smile:

neilos

Post by neilos »

Mooshie1956 wrote:Has anyone got any attendance figure's for the two days?. Just wondering if they were close to sell out at all.

Cambridge Evening News reported about 15,500 on Saturday.

yannyfoxx

Post by yannyfoxx »

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I was just wondering if anyone knew why P51 'Miss Helen' was listed as a participant but did not show. There was a significant piece in the programme about her so there must have been a solid booking. Also, any ideas what happened to the Wildcat on Sunday and the BBMF Spitfire on Sunday. All were no shows.

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

DanO1978 wrote:
yannyfoxx wrote:Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I was just wondering if anyone knew why P51 'Miss Helen' was listed as a participant but did not show. There was a significant piece in the programme about her so there must have been a solid booking. Also, any ideas what happened to the Wildcat on Sunday and the BBMF Spitfire on Sunday. All were no shows.

Miss Helen only flew late last week for the first time in a very long time. I'm guessing she just wasn't ready in time.

One of the BBMF Spits suffered a brake failure at Bristol earlier on Sunday, this may have been the airframe meant for Legends.

Didnt Miss Helen suffer a landing accident at Duxfrod a few years ago im sure i have seen a You Tube clip of her bouncing and landing very hard ?
Apart from the Wildcat i also noticed that both P40's missed various segments of the show and the Swordfish didnt display, presumably some was down to lack of pilots ?
one other question i thought i saw the RNHF Fury in the Balbo i didnt think military pilots could fly with a civilian formation but please correct me as in normal English as i dont know about these things ?

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

RNHF have always been a part of the balbo. I do know that the T.20 fury G-RNHF is actually owned by the Fly Navy Heritage trust but I don't know if that changes anything? And yes "Miss Helen had a landing accident at Legends a few years ago and damaged one of the wheels/landing gear leg.
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

FlyingMachinesTV

Post by FlyingMachinesTV »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XuMylC7gSc[/youtube]

Petedcollins

Post by Petedcollins »

The Dudster wrote:
DanO1978 wrote:
yannyfoxx wrote:Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I was just wondering if anyone knew why P51 'Miss Helen' was listed as a participant but did not show. There was a significant piece in the programme about her so there must have been a solid booking. Also, any ideas what happened to the Wildcat on Sunday and the BBMF Spitfire on Sunday. All were no shows.

Miss Helen only flew late last week for the first time in a very long time. I'm guessing she just wasn't ready in time.

One of the BBMF Spits suffered a brake failure at Bristol earlier on Sunday, this may have been the airframe meant for Legends.

Didnt Miss Helen suffer a landing accident at Duxfrod a few years ago im sure i have seen a You Tube clip of her bouncing and landing very hard ?
Apart from the Wildcat i also noticed that both P40's missed various segments of the show and the Swordfish didnt display, presumably some was down to lack of pilots ?
one other question i thought i saw the RNHF Fury in the Balbo i didnt think military pilots could fly with a civilian formation but please correct me as in normal English as i dont know about these things ?

The swordfish I explained higher up in the thread.

The RNHF was in the Balbo, at least on the Saturday I was busy on the Sunday so missed the 2nd half of the balbo on Sunday, the restriction is not a forces wide statement or you would never have the reds flying with civil stuff like the formation with the eagle squadron in May. But your right, the BBMF are very very tame with their formation flying with civils.

PIKflyer

Post by PIKflyer »

Apologies for the late request. Did anyone manage to compile a listing of the visiting aircraft on the far side on Saturday, or point me to a link where I could find one?

I tried to make a photo log as best I could but as I was with family, this proved a bit difficult and I missed a good few arrivals. I had hoped to catch them all departing at night but the public area closed before they all departed.

My first Legends and my first show at Duxford for many years, I have to say I really enjoyed my weekend. Maybe it wasn't as busy as previous years, but there was certainly enough there to keep my interest.

Thanks.