Duxford Spring Air Show 26 May 2013

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Duxford Spring Air Show 26 May 2013

Post by UKTopgun »

If Paul Bonhomme is to display in the R22 that is an interesting and welcome addition...

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Well I can't recall ever seeing one display so I will reserve judgement and give it a chance :smile:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Relax. R22 is down as static, so far. Excellent flying so far :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Hope this helps

And one to whet the appetite, taken from the car park around 6.30 as we got chucked out at 6. :biggrin:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Nice shot Brian. Did the C-47 pair practice today?
Why so serious?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Word was they were going to but didn't. Both arrived at the same time. One from the south and one from the north. Good planning. :biggrin:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Cannot wait for tomorrow, especially after the year I've had so far due health issues. Be nice to relax and watch a great flying display by the looks of it.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

crokketofcambs

Post by crokketofcambs »

Cracking morning over cambs,watched the Eagle Squadron over by the school yesterday,what a fantastic sound! 20 degrees and a light north-easterly breeze today.enjoy.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Mid morning and a lot of people here already. A tad warm and a lot of high cloud at the moment but hopefully will burn of by the start of flying.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

Excellent show and perfect weather; everything bar the Hawk 75 flew. Well done to all involved! :smile:

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

What a fantastic show, Red Arrows and Eagle Squadron were highlights. Very quick out at the end as well!!
Whisky Connoisseur

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

A very strong show indeed Duxford, well done. Highlights for me were the Eagle Sqn, the return of the Reds to Duxford, Chris Heames' Hunter solo and I also thought Dodge Bailey beautifully displayed the Lysander towards the start of the show. :clap:

Anyone else's heart skip a beat with the P40 go-around?

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

This show definitely proved that the rumoured terminal decline of the UK Airshow scene is, in actual fact, a complete load of crap.

Pete Kynsey completely stole the show today.

someguy1

Post by someguy1 »

WG655 wrote:Anyone else's heart skip a beat with the P40 go-around?

Hmm, it was certainly interesting he tried keeping it down a few time but the plane just wanted to do what it does best and fly

What happened to the Hawk 75, fire engine next to it or was that unrelated?

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

The display in the TF51 was definitely immense, complete with the trademark 8-pointer. :clap:

That sure seemed to be the case, it just seemed to be getting further and further down the line. Was relieved when I heard the kick of power and it eventually pulled away!

From what I heard on the commentary the problem was discovered during runup and the firecrews were there as a safety precaution.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Smoke was reported in the cockpit of the Hawk 75 so engine was shut down. Did not watch the landing P40 so only looked up when he powered up for the go-around, but it was all in hand (could see it closely from tank bank). Eagle Sqn not quite what I expected - I think I was thinking they would be more akin to the Breitling Fighters of old, but they were very nicely flown. Great show over all, Pete sure gets Velma lawnmowing on some passes :smile:

timuss

Post by timuss »

Yeah eventually got back from a great day at Duxford what a way to kick off the season!! The Eagle Squadron were brilliant a fitting tribute to the Mighty Eighth and the flyby with the Red's will surely go down as one of the highlights of the season, Miss Velma was flown in some style certainly a very energetic display.

I thought the Red's were very good today as well great to see them back to a nine ship. My only minor complaint was with the BBMF don't get me wrong i love to see them and would never get tired of seeing them, but today's display was very underwelming lots of underside views no decent angles on the fighters a gentle topside would have been quite nice they mentioned the hurricanes new paint scheme but it would have been nice to have seen it in a bit more detail.

A minor complaint that couldn't spoil what was a fanta.stic day
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Cracking show today. Sun shone for starters :grin: Took the new 70-300L for it's first outing :biggrin: Some top displays today, worthy of note; The Lysander, Miss Velma, how low can you go, Eagle Squadron (special note goes to the Arrows for the top formation at the end) and Mark Miller's stunning Dragon Rapide but the star of the show for me was the F86. Just :yahoo: :rock:
Well done Duxford. Overall 8.5 out of 10. Pics to follow in the coming days....

If I have a grumble and it's only a small one, but a valid one I feel, the Flightline walk is now £5 and it's disappointing to see some of the Hangars stuffed with airworthy aircraft that could/should have been parked outside in the sunshine. Especially given the number of gaps in the lineup...

Great to see Colonel Bud Anderson enjoying his flight in Miss Velma and a visit to The Aces High tent saw, amongst others present, Mary Stopes-Roe, daughter of Barnes Wallis and George " Johnny" Johnson DFM signing prints. Good to see them all in the rudest of health :clap:

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

timuss wrote:I thought the Red's were very good today as well great to see them back to a nine ship. My only minor complaint was with the BBMF don't get me wrong i love to see them and would never get tired of seeing them, but today's display was very underwelming lots of underside views no decent angles on the fighters a gentle topside would have been quite nice they mentioned the hurricanes new paint scheme but it would have been nice to have seen it in a bit more detail.

I'm afraid the M11 end was the place to be - got 2 Hurri topsides! And that final Sabre pass :rock:

Smoke was reported in the cockpit of the Hawk 75 so engine was shut down

The pilot seemed pretty concerned! He jumped out and started running away. At least the problem was discovered on the ground and not in the air.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Stunning show yesterday. It was great to see the Reds back as a 9 ship. I like their interesting new break to split gypo and enid - very Frecce inspired I thought.

The Eagle squadron flypast was just brilliant. It made the hairs on the back of my neck prickle. That said, I was a little downhearted that they didn't make more of it, I would have liked to seen individual displays from the aircraft - figured if you ship Princess Liz over from the US, would be nice to see her display as a solo? Only a minor gripe though.

Speaking of solos, Miss Velma... :rock: :rock:

It was a great start to the season, wonderful day, nice weather, great flying and the Eagle Squadron was something I'm glad to have seen, definitely the set piece to beat this year.

Also, it was great to see 'Bud' Anderson, I was sat right next to the control tower so I stood by and watched the interview with him. I'm humbled to have been in his presence, what a legend...

Kieran wrote:This show definitely proved that the rumoured terminal decline of the UK Airshow scene is, in actual fact, a complete load of crap.

J'agree. :up:

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Not that they do anything for me but I've just been told that George Clooney and Matt Damon were there doing some 'research' for their new film yesterday.
Anyone see them?
...Rad shutters auto.

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Does anyone know what that blue helicopter was doing while the Eagle Squadron was displaying?
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

I do like how duxford push the boundaries a bit getting aircraft airborne, thought they were pushing it a bit getting 2 Daks airborne whilst the Trig Team are doing an opposition manoeuvre.

Just a shame most of UKAR staff was in the naughty field.
Whisky Connoisseur

F-86

Post by F-86 »

8674planes wrote:Does anyone know what that blue helicopter was doing while the Eagle Squadron was displaying?

Filming Eagle Squadron in action.

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

WG655 wrote:
Anyone else's heart skip a beat with the P40 go-around?

Yeah sure did seems it looks different at different angles!!! But apart from that and seeing two fire engines going to the Hawk 75, it was Dave Southwood in the Hawk 75 tommo999

rdchawk wrote:
Just a shame most of UKAR staff was in the naughty field.

Well Said :clap: :clap: Because Dan your freeloading and you don't do it anywhere else or do ? :question:

James
Last edited by JBartlett on Mon 27 May 2013, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham