Flying Legends 2014!

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
8674planes

Re: Flying Legends 2014!

Post by 8674planes »

Just got back. A very good show indeed and the weather was better than expected. Highlights for me were the Spit tailchase, Bearcat and "Moonbeam Mcswine" solo's, B25 and the Hellcat "joker". Shame the P40C and P26 couldn't make it up :(
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Hasboman wrote:She's apparently heading to the US, so could be the last time too I'm afraid!

Yes, now you say I remember seeing that a while ago, even more glad that it got the joker slot then :biggrin:

J.Smith photography

Post by J.Smith photography »

itfcscott wrote:
Hasboman wrote:She's apparently heading to the US, so could be the last time too I'm afraid!

Yes, now you say I remember seeing that a while ago, even more glad that it got the joker slot then :biggrin:

what is the joker slot?

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

J.Smith photography wrote:
itfcscott wrote:

what is the joker slot?

One the TFC's aircraft performing a solo aerobatic routine whilst the balbo forms at the end of the show. This had typically been Stephen Grey in the Bearcat, although other aircraft have been used in the past. Believe Nick Grey was flying it today?

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Yes it was Nick.

Private Custard

Post by Private Custard »

DamienB wrote:The P-40C on Saturday must have been impressive from the tank bank!

F*** yes!!

I had one guy on facebook claiming it flew over him, at the entrance to land warfare. My shot says otherwise, and no other shots appear to have surfaced!

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

you must have been very close to me up on the tank bank, one of those airshow moments that you will remember forever. Awesome is an overused word...but it was just that.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Private Custard wrote:
DamienB wrote:The P-40C on Saturday must have been impressive from the tank bank!

F*** yes!!

I had one guy on facebook claiming it flew over him, at the entrance to land warfare. My shot says otherwise, and no other shots appear to have surfaced!

That was me :tongue2: I would say it was more over the land warfare then the bank! I looked behind and at first it was heading straight for us, But I found out what was wrong with the P-40F the motor that controls the pitch failed, And yes Nick Grey has taken over the Joker Slot now from his dad.

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

Jeez they'll be putting signs up saying stay away from the tank bank as it's dangerous at this rate :whistle:

hardtarget

Post by hardtarget »

Do we know if Hinton Jr was told to get back on the deck after that stunt? This slot on sat was very disappointing.

Hinton Jr didn't have the best of days on sat as he couldn't keep formation in the four ship spit.

cw318is

Post by cw318is »

The turn was probably more over the car park but the run in was definitely over the tank bank levelling off over the threshold of the grass runway, yes it was Steveo and yes he was told to land straightaway. I guess usually for him cutting the corner would just mean a time penalty! I really wouldn't say that he wasn't having the best of days - to be honest I thought he was doing quite well as that MkI has an iffy throttle friction adjuster so he was just trailing a bit. Regardless that slot was definately better on the Saturday then the Sunday although it is a pity that Saturday's joker slot wasn't the Hellcat.

I take it it was the lectric pitch trim motor on the P-40?
DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.

hardtarget

Post by hardtarget »

cw318is wrote:The turn was probably more over the car park but the run in was definitely over the tank bank levelling off over the threshold of the grass runway, yes it was Steveo and yes he was told to land straightaway. I guess usually for him cutting the corner would just mean a time penalty! I really wouldn't say that he wasn't having the best of days - to be honest I thought he was doing quite well as that MkI has an iffy throttle friction adjuster so he was just trailing a bit. Regardless that slot was definately better on the Saturday then the Sunday although it is a pity that Saturday's joker slot wasn't the Hellcat.

I take it it was the lectric pitch trim motor on the P-40?

Thats a shame, as i was really looking forward to the P-40/36 slot. Do we know why the P-40 didnt fly the Sunday, was he grounded because of it? What was wrong with the spit 1's on sunday?

Interesting that he had a sticky throttle, that would explain him being out of shape for safety reasons. He manage to unstick it for at least one pass.

DocStirling

Post by DocStirling »

Private Custard wrote:

F*** yes!!

I got almost exactly the same shot* from my position: by the fence, just level with the front of the Burger Van. He came over my head, so I'd say he just passed over the end of the TB.

*Except my shot was pants - blurry as anything - and yours is great! I managed to get the plane between all the available AF points. As a result of seeing your shot I am upgrading...bye bye 600D, hello 7D (or should I go 70D??) :biggrin:

daniel
How Do I KNow

cw318is

Post by cw318is »

I know the feeling - my 7D died on Saturday morning so I ended up using the 600D for the display, got better results with my old 20D :sad:
DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Was it just me or did anyone else notice the Hawk 75 seem to have a 'jolt' and engine cough in the air on Sunday? Can't have been anything wrong with it as it landed fine and was back out for the Balbo later...

hardtarget

Post by hardtarget »

From what I can gather he stalved the engine whilst inverted.

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

The H75 pilot pushed a bit to much negative G at the end of his display which caused the engine to cough and smoke a bit. Got it re-started and landed fine.
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

As per the Bf-109 in Denmark?

Is there really a need to constantly loop and barrel roll during a display? I'm not saying alleviate it altogether because it's good to see the aircraft from all different angles, but a flatter display generally keeps the aircraft much lower, closer, more photogenic and avoids having to crane your neck back all the time. Several pilots and aircraft have been lost to misjudged aerobatic manoeuvres - I think if owned vintage aircraft, I would prohibit anybody carrying out aerobatics!

I'm sure I'm not alone here...

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

tommo999 wrote:As per the Bf-109 in Denmark?

Is there really a need to constantly loop and barrel roll during a display? I'm not saying alleviate it altogether because it's good to see the aircraft from all different angles, but a flatter display generally keeps the aircraft much lower, closer, more photogenic and avoids having to crane your neck back all the time. Several pilots and aircraft have been lost to misjudged aerobatic manoeuvres - I think if owned vintage aircraft, I would prohibit anybody carrying out aerobatics!

I agree. More akin to what you get at Shuttleworth.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

hardtarget

Post by hardtarget »

But then it would become mundane and boring. A mixture of rolls, loops and the flat and level is what you want for good photographs, not all of the same.

Private Custard

JBartlett wrote:
That was me :tongue2: I would say it was more over the land warfare then the bank! I looked behind and at first it was heading straight for us, But I found out what was wrong with the P-40F the motor that controls the pitch failed, And yes Nick Grey has taken over the Joker Slot now from his dad.

James

To be fair, I was at the inside end of the bank, just along from the catering vans. Which only makes it an even more monumental mistake really!

Glad the F made it down OK. That could have been nasty :confused:

DocStirling wrote:
I got almost exactly the same shot* from my position: by the fence, just level with the front of the Burger Van. He came over my head, so I'd say he just passed over the end of the TB.

*Except my shot was pants - blurry as anything - and yours is great! I managed to get the plane between all the available AF points. As a result of seeing your shot I am upgrading...bye bye 600D, hello 7D (or should I go 70D??) :biggrin:

daniel

I wouldn't jump into the 7D just yet, even though prices are falling. You may want to make-do for a bit and await any news on a possible Mk.II, later this year :)

I had serious issues on Saturday. The heat was intense, and I swear that both my lenses and body suffered as they sat there cooking. Optics can get thrown out badly, like what happened with the Mk.I SA80 rifle years ago. Anything that wasn't a full-frame capture is being discarded by me, due to those issues, along with the evil heat distortion.

To be honest, I should have just gone to the mound. That's who all the pilots seem to display to anyway!
Last edited by Private Custard on Mon 14 Jul 2014, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

tommo999 wrote:As per the Bf-109 in Denmark?

I see where you're coming from, but I think we can all guarantee that if aerobatic manoeuvres were stopped with historic aircraft, everyone would be moaning about how boring they've become and how "displays were much better back in the old days" (which is an attitude I've seen grown more and more amongst enthusiasts sadly.)

Also, I think this is backed up by the reaction enthusiasts have over "boring and dull" BBMF displays.

Anyways I'm going off topic, wasn't a classic Flying Legends show this year, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Private Custard

SuffolkBlue wrote:
Also, I think this is backed up by the reaction enthusiasts have over "boring and dull" BBMF displays.

That's because the BBMF only ever fly straight and level when moving along the crowdline. It was only after visiting Coningsby a few times that I realised their aircraft actually do have topsides!

As much as I love what the BBMF mean, they've become the act where I sit down and look through all my other shots and do some deleting. Maybe a toilet break and some food too :roll:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Private Custard wrote:
SuffolkBlue wrote:

That's because the BBMF only ever fly straight and level when moving along the crowdline. It was only after visiting Coningsby a few times that I realised their aircraft actually do have topsides!

As much as I love what the BBMF mean, they've become the act where I sit down and look through all my other shots and do some deleting. Maybe a toilet break and some food too :roll:

We're getting off the subject of Flying Legends here and more into a discussion about airshows in general, but you're quite right. Less emphasis on aeros does not mean that people want to see the BBMF 'displays' as the alternative - there's a middle ground between those two extremes.

Anyone who saw the Spitfire and Hurricane display at the Shuttleworth Pageant will attest that they were anything BUT dull and boring - low, close, fast passes and plenty of topside that show us the machine in all it's glory. Maybe it was dictated by some degree by the inclement weather conditions, but it was exactly how to a display a warbird IMO. I want to feel like a part of the action, not watch something off in the distance flying straight and level or something that's constantly up and down several thousand feet at a time.

The underside view that the BBMF near-constantly present is also the least desirable angle on any aircraft. That is why people say they are "boring". Wonderful aircraft, but the way in which they are presented to the audience leaves a lot to be desired.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Private Custard

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Anyone who saw the Spitfire and Hurricane display at the Shuttleworth Pageant will attest that they were anything BUT dull and boring - low, close, fast passes and plenty of topside that show us the machine in all it's glory. Maybe it was dictated by some degree by the inclement weather conditions, but it was exactly how to a display a warbird IMO. I want to feel like a part of the action, not watch something off in the distance flying straight and level or something that's constantly up and down several thousand feet at a time.

Now that was a sight to behold. I'd take crap weather at Old Warden, over even the sunniest of days at DX (crowdside anyway! :-X )

My thoughts on the flying in general at Legends aren't good to be honest.......not from a photography perspective anyway. It's easy to forget though, that there are thousands present, that are perfectly happy with everything. When all's said and done, it's brilliant that all these warbirds are still being looked after and flown regularly, which is the most important thing.