Flying Legends 2015

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
hmeasures

Re: Flying Legends 2015

Post by hmeasures »

Pen Pusher wrote:Lest hope the weather on the continent is better this time. :biggrin:

Brian

Excellent news, really want to catch the Lightning again! B25 is always nice to see, too :smile:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Does anyone else get a feeling of déjà vu? What will be confirmed next? Dakota Norway's Dak? Lufthansa's JU52 and 108?
Don't get me wrong, it's always great to see these aircraft but bar one, maybe two star items every year the same participants turn up. For the price we're charged it would be nice to see some more of the rarer European aircraft don't you think?
I16 again, Dassault Flamant pair, Noratlas, LI.2, how about the EADS 109s?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Baron wrote:Does anyone else get a feeling of déjà vu?

As with all air shows, especially RIAT?

The Baron wrote:What will be confirmed next? Dakota Norway's Dak? Lufthansa's JU52

You do know they are charter flights and would be coming any way.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Pen Pusher wrote:
The Baron wrote:Does anyone else get a feeling of déjà vu?

As with all air shows, especially RIAT?

Granted, and I knew that argument would be thrown out there. However RIAT is primarily an airshow of modern aircraft, different types of which are getting fewer and fewer with multiple users of F16s etc. Legends focuses on "warbirds" of which airworthy types are luckily getting more plentiful. Wouldn't it be nice to see something different?

The Baron wrote:What will be confirmed next? Dakota Norway's Dak? Lufthansa's JU52

You do know they are charter flights and would be coming any way?

Brian

Yes, but do you see my point?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

No.

I go to an air show because it's an air show not because of what's in it.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Pen Pusher wrote:No.

I go to an air show because it's an air show not because of what's in it.

Brian

You might have noticed from my signature that I'm planning on attending several shows this year, as I have done before. You're a big Duxford fan so I don't expect to agree with you on this subject however as I've said, for the money I don't think Legends is pulling out all the stops. The crowd line is cramped, flying condensed into a few hours, star items are underused and the same suspects return year after year. Give me La Ferte Alais any day. You should try it too, Brian.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

You do realise that La Ferte changes year on year just as much as Legends does right? I say scrap the typical Legends Spitfire opening sequence that people often moan is boring and replace it with the typical La Ferte opener, two motor gliders bimbling around to the Jurassic Park theme. I would genuinely love to see the reactions!

stef.ebos

Post by stef.ebos »

would love to see the FW109 again.
we planning to fly again on Sunday.

grts

stef.ebos

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

Planes i hope will be attending flying legends
Catalina
BBMF
FW190
Connie
Avro anson
Lysander
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

HuwJHopkins wrote:...I say scrap the typical Legends Spitfire opening sequence that people often moan is boring.....

Once again an illustration of the massive gulf between the few enthusiasts to be mostly found taking up the majority of the front row at the crowdline and the rest of the audience. Suggest to the average "family audience" that a tailchase/sequence involving a fair number of Spitfires is "boring" and you would be met with total incomprehension at best and the assumption that you are some sort of deviant at worst.

If that sequence really does bore you I suggest that you turn round at look at the rest of the audience. You will find that the vast majority are totally enthralled. It is only the "enthusiasts" who find such displays less than amazing....The same applies to (especially) the Breitling Wingwalkers display, commonly slated on here as "boring filler", yet whenever I have been accompanied to shows by non-enthusiasts (usually family members or people I know through work or motorsport who come along "just to see what it's about") they consider these two items plus the Red Arrows and the BBMF to be the highlights of any show.

EDIT: If you can name any other aircraft more suited to the appellation "legend" than the Spitfire (though I am aware that much of the lore surrounding this aircraft is due to "hype" and erroneous beliefs), please name it; I know I can't (at least in the UK...)
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

....I still find a Spitfire tail chase entertaining. :hide:

I really don't get this anti-enthusiast rhetoric by... Well, enthusiasts at the moment. Christ, how boring would the show-scene be if every person liked exactly the same stuff as the next.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I was thinking about this only last night. I find the phrase "familiarity breeds contempt" so apt for many discussions on this forum.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

I love watch watching the wingwalkers
Canon 550D

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Tommy wrote:....I still find a Spitfire tail chase entertaining.

Same here, nothing that I love more in fact. I thought that the one at the start of Flying Legends last year was one of the best that I have seen, certainly outshone some other occasions. I think the problem is on certain occasions the bar is set very high and they then have to live up to the expectations that they have created and when they don't the routines are (rightly, in my opinion) criticised. However, some people seem to be of the opinion that they should be above any criticism at all.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

phreakf4 wrote:
HuwJHopkins wrote:...I say scrap the typical Legends Spitfire opening sequence that people often moan is boring.....

Once again an illustration of the massive gulf between the few enthusiasts to be mostly found taking up the majority of the front row at the crowdline and the rest of the audience. Suggest to the average "family audience" that a tailchase/sequence involving a fair number of Spitfires is "boring" and you would be met with total incomprehension at best and the assumption that you are some sort of deviant at worst.

If that sequence really does bore you I suggest that you turn round at look at the rest of the audience. You will find that the vast majority are totally enthralled. It is only the "enthusiasts" who find such displays less than amazing....The same applies to (especially) the Breitling Wingwalkers display, commonly slated on here as "boring filler", yet whenever I have been accompanied to shows by non-enthusiasts (usually family members or people I know through work or motorsport who come along "just to see what it's about") they consider these two items plus the Red Arrows and the BBMF to be the highlights of any show.

EDIT: If you can name any other aircraft more suited to the appellation "legend" than the Spitfire (though I am aware that much of the lore surrounding this aircraft is due to "hype" and erroneous beliefs), please name it; I know I can't (at least in the UK...)

No, no, I didn't say *I* found it boring, but many on here do (bemusingly). I would love to see reactions from people saying "give me La Ferte anyday" when they are presented with a 12 minute segment of Motor Gliders bimbling about to the Jurassic Park theme rather than the Spitfire sequence. I love Legends, and I love La Ferte, but both are their own seperate entities and have their own unique points of enjoyment.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

HuwJHopkins wrote:
phreakf4 wrote:

No, no, I didn't say *I* found it boring, but many on here do (bemusingly). I would love to see reactions from people saying "give me La Ferte anyday" when they are presented with a 12 minute segment of Motor Gliders bimbling about to the Jurassic Park theme rather than the Spitfire sequence. I love Legends, and I love La Ferte, but both are their own seperate entities and have their own unique points of enjoyment.

Having been to La Ferte Alais several times I know what to expect. Whilst I admit that like Legends LFA has repeat attendees they also get very good unusual acts. Anybody that saw the P47 display two years ago cannot argue that it was so much better than its Legends appearance.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Huw, apologies. My remarks were not directed at you but at those who do find the Spitfire tailchase (or indeed any air show display) "boring".

My only "objection" to such tail chases is that it is very difficult (perhaps impossible) to adequately capture them on camera in such a way as to do justice to the atmosphere of the event. Video goes some way toward that, but it is still the case that when that display starts I usually just put down the camera/camcorder and enjoy watching....That even applies to such as the Turbulent team or the wing walkers....or gliders/motorgliders. The last of those can not (in my opinion) be properly appreciated whist looking through a viewfinder, especially if wingtip smoke generators are used, unless one only shoots at fairly short focal lengths, say 50 to 100 mm. in 35mm format.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

classicaviation

Post by classicaviation »

There are a lot of points here that make for some interesting reading. I'll weigh in with my points (and risk the proverbial hailstorm that comes with posting on this site!).

There is a difficulty for organisers of airshows that there is a very varied audience to cater for and finding the balance that pleases all must be a very difficult job. You have the enthusiasts, the casual airshower, the die-hards, the family, the passing interest, the day-outers, the "future pilot" children to name but a few....

The point has been made that items that enthusiasts find "common place" such as wing-walkers, BBMF, Red Arrows and the hundred other display teams of yaks, pitts etc. are actually crowd-pullers and favourite items of the family, casual airshowers amongst others.

One thing that airshows could benefit from IMHO is more creative direction. It would take the "same old" but use it in different ways to keep it fresh and interesting. It also seems to excite all parts of the crowd when something 'different' happens even with the same aircraft. It doesn't even need to be that spectacular or something that takes a lot of prep...for example an 'unusual' formation or combination of aircraft.

I don't envy airshow organisers as the spectrum of desires from airshow goers is huge - but I personally think there is an opportunity for more creativity :smile: I could go into more detail but I think I've illustrated the basics of my point (it has been pointed out on another thread an example of the two Lanc's last year sometimes not getting as much display time where other acts could have had less or been cut which is another opportunity from the same point)

In the end I'm glad it's not my job and I enjoy an airshow for being an airshow :smile: like all hobbies there are good ones, bad ones, ones that live in the memory and some I quickly forget.
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

timuss

Post by timuss »

People just assume that they only have the same aircraf each year, who's to say other's are invited but they may decline.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

Planes are being restored or built from scratch like the mosquito all the time so there is always somthing new to see
Canon 550D

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

craig.mason wrote:Planes are being restored or built from scratch like the mosquito all the time so there is always somthing new to see

Nearly got me, you tease! :whistle:

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

http://www.otsnews.co.uk/mosquito-for-2015-air-shows/
After great success of the Canadian Avro Lancaster’s visit to this year Air Show, OTS News.co.uk understands that plans are underway to bring a De Havilland Mosquito over to the UK for the 2015 flying season.
If this happens, the event will be like this year’s based with the RAF's Battle of Britain flight, and join the flight as they attend air shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM943tPSWZ4
Canon 550D

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

That newspaper report is from last year and doesn't even mention who's Mosquito it is. Wishful thinking on the part of the newspaper.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

Seems very quiet on the flying legends update front anybody know of anything that's going that's not been posted on there website i keep checking it
https://www.flyinglegends.com/aircrafts.html
Canon 550D

st24

Post by st24 »

craig.mason wrote:Seems very quiet on the flying legends update front anybody know of anything that's going that's not been posted on there website i keep checking it
https://www.flyinglegends.com/aircrafts.html

It always is quiet Craig, patience is a virtue with Legends....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!