Duxford September Show 2015

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Gonzo230

Re: Duxford September Show 2015

Post by Gonzo230 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
aaron0288 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Speaking of MH434, it looked incredibly slow at the top of the first loop on Sunday - it was almost like the set-up for a stall turn.

So it wasn't just me! My heart was in my mouth during that but as no one else had mentioned it, I thought maybe I was seeing things. To me it looked like he only just managed to get it over the top...

That's very much how it looked to me too.

This is why I'm not a fan of aeros in warbirds - it's just a needless risk IMO. Who ever comes home from Old Warden ruing the fact they didn't loop the Sea Hurricane? Besides which, at that height, what's it good for? It's so high and distant that you can barely identify which airframe it is, and it's certainly no use for photographs...

Have either of you guys done aeros?

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

Gonzo230 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:
aaron0288 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Speaking of MH434, it looked incredibly slow at the top of the first loop on Sunday - it was almost like the set-up for a stall turn.

So it wasn't just me! My heart was in my mouth during that but as no one else had mentioned it, I thought maybe I was seeing things. To me it looked like he only just managed to get it over the top...

This is why I'm not a fan of aeros in warbirds - it's just a needless risk IMO. Who ever comes home from Old Warden ruing the fact they didn't loop the Sea Hurricane? Besides which, at that height, what's it good for? It's so high and distant that you can barely identify which airframe it is, and it's certainly no use for photographs...

What has that got to do with it? We're just voicing our opinions on the matter.

But go on, enlighten us...

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

I enjoy seeing an aircraft flown nicely whether that includes aeros or not does not matter. I am not particularly fond of seeing a couple of historic valuable aircraft flown very close in formation.

Unless there is an error in the flying of the aircraft, aerobatics do not place any extra undue strain on the aircraft, though there are certainly some aircraft not capable of doing them.

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

Not the point I'm making though. I'm aware they're all capable of aerobatics and indeed could be pushed a heck of a lot more than what they already are, I'm just saying I prefer fast, low, sweeping passes and victory rolls than loops over a 1000ft up.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

I wasn't making a point, I was just asking a question. I was just wondering whether to change my opinion or not.

I thought it was a wonderful manoeuvre.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

With regards to your list on Page 10 Brize Watcher I was wondering where I could find the P.D.F. version mentioned and also wether you know where I could find the serials and registrations that aren't included on there?

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

PDF File is on the IWM Duxford website, as of now a list of registrations hasn't been published.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Cheers for that B.W. would love to see a participants list somewhere - if possible.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Gonzo230 wrote:Have either of you guys done aeros?

"There are two types of display pilot; those who display their skills and those who display their aircraft's beauty."

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

PeterR wrote:
Gonzo230 wrote:Have either of you guys done aeros?

"There are two types of display pilot; those who display their skills and those who display their aircraft's beauty."

I don't think they're mutually exclusive, although obviously if a pilot doesn't 'display the aircraft's beauty' in the way preferred by photographers they'll be unpopular here.

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

aaron0288 wrote:
Gonzo230 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:
aaron0288 wrote:

What has that got to do with it? We're just voicing our opinions on the matter.

But go on, enlighten us...

Because for all we know there was nothing wrong with MH434 in the loop.

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

A bit late to the party but I will say that the show on the Sunday was brilliant. One of the best shows I've ever been to. I feel sorry for those to whom the topside shot is everything and are seemingly disappointed if they don't get several from each and every aircraft in the display. Yes I'm a keen photographer myself but sometimes it's nice to put down the camera and watch. Even in an aerobatic routine there will be sufficient photo opportunities that aren't at the top of a loop so just enjoy these fantastic aircraft being flown by highly skilled pilots. The Spitfire pair routine was a joy to behold as was the Hurricane routine - hopefully we'll be able to see more than three in formation at future events. The mass Spitfire display was just out of this world
and I wonder if we'll ever top it. Well done Duxford.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

So from the list by Brize Watcher on Page 10 can anyone let me know what was the I.D. of the 17th Spitfire I understand the Rolls Royce P.R. Spit was supposed to take part, question is did it and if not which Spitfire took its place? - I was only there for the Saturday. Also can anyone confirm wether it was the same Chinook both days? Also can anyone confirm the IDs of the Yak Team.

ONE query, was wondering wether anyone knows the IDs of the Blue Navy Harvard type Aircraft that was flying about before the Flying Display as well as the Rapides about the same time?

jbs

Post by jbs »

BrizeWatcher wrote:Supermarine Spitfire N3200- Aircraft Restoration Company
Supermarine Spitfire X4650- Commanche Fighters
Supermarine Spitfire AR213- Commanche Fighters
Supermarine Spitfire BM597- Historic Aircraft Collection
Supermarine Spitfire EP120- The Fighter Collection
Supermarine Spitfire MH434- Old Flying Machine Company
Supermarine Spitfire SL633- Historic Flight Foundation
Supermarine Spitfire TD314- K Perkins
Supermarine Spitfire ML407- Air Leasing
Supermarine Spitfire PV202- Aircraft Restoration Company
Supermarine Spitfire SM520- Boultbee Flight Academy
Supermarine Spitfire MV268- The Fighter Collection
Supermarine Spitfire TD248- Spitfire Limited
Supermarine Spitfire SM845- Spitfire Limited
Supermarine Seafire PP972- Air Leasing
Supermarine Seafire SX336- Kennet Aviation

The machine missing from the above list is Spitfire Mk.IX RR232

G-ANPK

Post by G-ANPK »

Unknown74
The Yak Team id`s are -:
G-BTZB,G-CBPM,G-GYAK,G-JYAK
Two of the Rapied`s were-:
G-AKIF & G-AIYR (HG691)
Blue Harvard is -:
G-BUKY 52-8543 / Coded 66

hth
G-ANPK

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Cheers for that G-ANPK, the only thing that remains is the I.D. of the Chinook on the Saturday? Was it the same both days as I saw it depart on Saturday and one on Sunday Morning flew over where I was staying and it looked like it was heading direct Duxford - was it the same one heading back?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Unknown74 wrote:Cheers for that G-ANPK, the only thing that remains is the I.D. of the Chinook on the Saturday? Was it the same both days as I saw it depart on Saturday and one on Sunday Morning flew over where I was staying and it looked like it was heading direct Duxford - was it the same one heading back?

If you look through some of the photo threads on here you can see what was there each day.

Saturday's display was flown by a machine coded 'DB', which should be ZD574, and Sunday's was ZD982 (not carrying a code on the day, but should be 'DF' according to Scramble).
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"