Duxford September Show 2015

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
neilos

Re: Duxford September Show 2015

Post by neilos »

should have scrubbed the Aerostars in favour of a longer synchro pair display..... :biggrin:

Aerostars started, I popped to the Hannants tent for a spot of retail therapy :lol:

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB »

Well what an amazing day! My first time to Duxford and hopefully it won't be my last!

Very impressed with all of the displays in general and particularly liked the continuation (i.e. once one act was displaying, the next was already taxi-ing and ready to take-off).

Of course, the finale of 15 Spitfires and 2 Seafires was just a sight and sound to behold! :rock: The weather stayed good for the show duration which was perfect and helped for what has been an excellent day. I just hope for a speedy recovery for those injured in the accident on the M11.
My YouTube channel of all sorts (well mostly aviation): http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgcEz-y6zzkh6ueBQH6Qvzw

Corky

Post by Corky »

An enjoyable day at Duxford but one thing for sure, I'm glad I was on the tank bank. It looked like most of the displays went no where near the M11 due to the traffic situation (hope everyone is ok.) Thought they did a good job of detailing different parts of the Battle along with the events that led up to it. A personal highlight was the Hurricane tailchase - how often does that happen! The Spitfire finale was something else as well, where to look being a problem!

One thing I did wonder though will be how many more people will be tempted to go into the naughty fields. There seemed to be a reasonable number there today with some even having a chat with the Chinook crew after it landed near them, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the photos and peoples reports from that side of the airfield tempt many more into them. Today I felt at time that the display focal point was located on the small mound opposite the tank bank. Anyway still an enjoyable day, time to sift through some photos.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

From the Cambridge Times

Police are appealing for information about the collision on the M11 near Duxford which has left a man in a critical condition.

The man in his early 20s, from the Northumbria area, was riding his motorcycle on the M11 southbound at about 2.30pm today when it collided with a red BMW 1 series.

The air ambulance attended and air lifted the man to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge where he remains in a critical condition. The driver of the BMW was uninjured.

A section of the road was closed for a number of hours while the collision scene was cleared.

Police want to hear from anyone who witnessed the collision or saw either of the vehicles in the moments leading up to the collision.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Amazing Day today! That Spitfire formation and resulting tailchase was just a sight to behold! Will certainly be returning next year.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Thought today was excellent on the whole, although there were just not enough toilets IMO. Massive queues at the tank bank end, not helped by the AAM ones being closed with the museum.

Such a shame there were so many in the fields. I'm hardly one to talk as I've been in others in the past but at this point in time, with all eyes on airshow safety, I think it's a case of people wanting the picture failing to see the bigger picture.

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

Lots of big gaps and what seemed to be "passing the time" displays. No disrespect meant to them, but I'm comparing this to the May show, which was just constant action and varied displays. So disappointed about the synchro pair. And to learn he offered to do a fly past and being told no? Would've taken about 5 seconds to complete!

However, all was forgiven after the spitfire finale. It was amazing from where I was standing...

For those who are going to the school tomorrow, they're open as usual, wasn't any busier than normal but would still recommend getting there by 11 just in case (reds tomorrow). Fields had the usual security but were just as accessible as they've always been.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

I still don't understand how people standing in a field adjacent to an airfield with an air display is in any way a danger to the display itself or the participants in that display.. There may be a very small risk to the 'guilty' parties but compared to the risks that they take every day of their lives that risk is pretty minimal. Who exactly are the police protecting. No reports on here from any naughty field infiltrators yet.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

I had a good day out with the family today. The show was ok. I set off this morning with the Synchro pair, Chinook, F-15 flypast and 17 x Spitfires as my potential highlights. Turns out the Chinook lived up to expectations and the 17 x Spitfires more than exceeded my expectations. After that it has to be seeing the SR-71 in decent light, the Band in the square and the first quarter moon had to be my highlights.

Simon.
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Was going to slate the show for being dull and disjointed but the final 30 minutes certainly put a shed load of gloss on the day. As so often happens at Duxford.. Too much filler but more than rescued by those Spits, especially from the tank bank end.

chrisdms

Post by chrisdms »

tankbuster wrote:I still don't understand how people standing in a field adjacent to an airfield with an air display is in any way a danger to the display itself or the participants in that display.. There may be a very small risk to the 'guilty' parties but compared to the risks that they take every day of their lives that risk is pretty minimal. Who exactly are the police protecting. No reports on here from any naughty field infiltrators yet.

I was in one of the naughty fields to the west of the M11. Traffic was already slow before the accident and displays seemed to be higher and further west before the attendance of the air ambulance. Not surprise the Typhoon cut short the display as it was holding north of Duxford for quite a while.

AFC

Post by AFC »

I was on the mound, I must say the display did seem directly above us and behind us. Most of the time it seemed like the aircraft were displaying for us as opposed to the paying public.
Its disgusting how far away the aircraft actually display from the paying public and how little topsides they show to them too. It seemed most passes were underside passes for the people inside.
First time that I've been to the mound. Nice of duxford to give us a toilet :whistle: (No I didn't use it as it was actually on the airfield) . As for the chinook, why did it land there? (not that I'm complaining about it, also nice of the pilot to come over for a chat)
Overall, I was very disappointed with the show today, first hour was good, as was the last half hour, but the rest of it was rubbish. Highlights of the day: buchons, hurricanes and spitfires. I feel as if the BBMF were boring and pointless as usual (why do airshow organisers even bother booking them???), and its unfortunate that the synchro pair didn't get a chance to display properly (is that act still going to be around next year?)

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

Obviously there is still an enquiry into the Shoreham tragedy and perhaps the final outcome will allow displays to revert to normal, but that will still be some way off. Display envelopes are there for a reason and to satisfy all, except the enthusiasts, that envelope at Duxford has been moved west.

Sad incidents in the past included the Mustang which went down south east of the Grange Road, the part wing of the Skyraider went into the far side of the next field away from the western end of the airfield; the Firefly went down south east of the M11 south of Duxford village - how far can "safe zones" stretch?

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Unfair to slate BBMF, they were told not below 1 thousand feet blanket ban for their whole routine. All the acts deemed too high or pointless or whatever by the experts on here should realise the show was badly affected by the M11 incident and rightly so, a typhoon giving a normal routine is not all that conducive to paramedics wishing to communicate to save a life.

AntonovAN-2

Post by AntonovAN-2 »

AFC wrote: As for the chinook, why did it land there? (not that I'm complaining about it, also nice of the pilot to come over for a chat)

The Chinook landed where it did because it was meant to land at the other end but a load of kids from the field went to run to close for comfort so they moved,

Also to the previous comments saying why are people in the field a danger, directly they are not but as the pilots will say if they do need to put the aircraft down in a field then they have effectively lost some of their options due to the amount of people in the fields, i mean they don't want to be injuring people. Also don't say that everyone in the field knew the risks and were there of their own choice as I know there were children in the field today who clearly didn't have a choice

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

AFC wrote:I was on the mound, I must say the display did seem directly above us and behind us. Most of the time it seemed like the aircraft were displaying for us as opposed to the paying public.
Its disgusting how far away the aircraft actually display from the paying public and how little topsides they show to them too. It seemed most passes were underside passes for the people inside.
First time that I've been to the mound. Nice of duxford to give us a toilet :whistle: (No I didn't use it as it was actually on the airfield) . As for the chinook, why did it land there? (not that I'm complaining about it, also nice of the pilot to come over for a chat)
Overall, I was very disappointed with the show today, first hour was good, as was the last half hour, but the rest of it was rubbish. Highlights of the day: buchons, hurricanes and spitfires. I feel as if the BBMF were boring and pointless as usual (why do airshow organisers even bother booking them???), and its unfortunate that the synchro pair didn't get a chance to display properly (is that act still going to be around next year?)

Why do organisers book the BBMF? Because the flight is immensely popular with the general public who make up the majority of most airshow audiences and popular with us enthusiasts who realise what the flight represents and commemorates. The BBMF is NEVER pointless.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

My jaw was on the floor when the spit finale took place. I expected just the balbo then landing. But there was more. Yes we have seen the earlier marks dumbelling in a tail chase further south while the meatier ones wheel in low and close to the crowd at Duxford in the past, but never have I seen a third section of 3 looping and having fun at a higher level all at the same time. That will live with me for quite a while.
An epic finale so bravo to all the pilots and the superb leader, Brian Smith. :clap:

AFC

Post by AFC »

King Cobra wrote:
AFC wrote:I was on the mound, I must say the display did seem directly above us and behind us. Most of the time it seemed like the aircraft were displaying for us as opposed to the paying public.

Why do organisers book the BBMF? Because the flight is immensely popular with the general public who make up the majority of most airshow audiences and popular with us enthusiasts who realise what the flight represents and commemorates. The BBMF is NEVER pointless.

They are when compared to displays like the 17 spitfire finale today :whistle:

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Pat Murphy wrote:Advice for tomorrow. Avoid M11 end. Too far away to photograph :(

I was down the M11 end and got some better angles than I normally get. No problem with photography for me and they were not that far away.

You should have gone to Specsavers. :biggrin:

Brian

Ok, back home in the last hour and looking at my stuff from the M11 end, It's not as bad as first feared but and it's a fairly large but, if you want topsides, it's the tank bank for you.
I understand that most of todays issues were down to the unfortunate event on the motorway, especially the Synchro Typhoon and Spitfire and the BBMF but the fact remains that the display envelope has moved West and there wasn't one curving topside at that end from behind the Airspace hangar. It also seems that things have moved further out again, Comanche Fighters being particularly distant. I'm sure the Naughty Fielders enjoyed their airshow......that debate will run and run I am sure. I just hope that when all the ramifications of Shoreham are known, we don't end up with the spectacle, of the airshow, removed. :sad:

Now to the good points. Chinook, best solo act today by far :clap: Hurricanes and Blenheim, just gorgeous but the stars of the show were the Spitfires. The last half hour was just jaw droppingly fantastic. :rock: :worship:

Enjoy them all tomorrow....from the Tank Bank :grin:

DeHav

Post by DeHav »

Now I've seen some explanation for the BBMF I'll withdraw my complaints....
Nikon D5300
Sigma 150-500 f/5.6-6.3
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Sigma 17-55 f/2.8
Nikon 35mm f/1.8

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

AFC wrote:
King Cobra wrote:

They are when compared to displays like the 17 spitfire finale today :whistle:

Have it your own way but I've seen massed Spitfires before including the 70th anniversary do but still do not consider the BBMF as pointless. Anyone saying that they are clearly hasn't a clue what the flight stands for.

AntonovAN-2

Post by AntonovAN-2 »

king cobra completely agree, they are not there to do high speed manouvours they are there to remember the pilots both those who returned and those who didnt in the battle of britain, as churchel said never before have so many owed so much to so few

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

AFC wrote:I was on the mound,

Overall, I was very disappointed with the show today, first hour was good, as was the last half hour, but the rest of it was rubbish.

Somebody watches an air show for free and then complains about it. I love it. :lol: :lol:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

neilos

Post by neilos »

AFC wrote:First time that I've been to the mound. Nice of duxford to give us a toilet :whistle: (No I didn't use it as it was actually on the airfield) .

That's because it's for the fire crews, not the freeloaders :biggrin:

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

I really enjoyed the showed. The Spitfire finale was something else, the only disappointment was the fact that they took off one direction and landed the other, which meant a lot of people didn't get all those Spit's taxing past in front of them, but I guess this was due to the M11 accident as the wind hadn't changed. 845's arrival was very cool as well because I was at the Hangar 1 end of the flight line walk at the time :biggrin: