Duxford September Show 2015

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
eirik
UKAR Supporter

Re: Duxford September Show 2015

Post by eirik »

I wonder what will happen to the MIG-15 display. It is currently on the american FAA register.
Will the new CAA regulations for "vintage jets" affect it?

Eirik
Part of the Norwegian Spitfire Foundation.
http://www.norwegianspitfire.com

My photos:
http://aviationpix.no

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

eirik wrote:I wonder what will happen to the MIG-15 display. It is currently on the american FAA register.

Eirik

Yes it will. It's listed at Dunsfold as "series of flypasts".
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

eirik
UKAR Supporter

Post by eirik »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
eirik wrote:I wonder what will happen to the MIG-15 display. It is currently on the american FAA register.

Eirik

Ok I feared that. Thank you.

Eirik

My photos:

neilos

Post by neilos »

eirik wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Eirik

Eirik

Several flypasts are better than nothing.

eirik
UKAR Supporter

Post by eirik »

neilos wrote:
eirik wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Eirik

Eirik

Several flypasts are better than nothing.

I agree, but flypasts are still not the same as full displays.

Eirik

My photos:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

eirik wrote:I agree, but flypasts are still not the same as full displays.

Since the Vulcan display has been deemed as OK, I'd take "flypasts only" to mean 'no vertical manoeuvres'.

Let's wait and see how things pan out this weekend, but given its miniscule proportions, it may afford you a closer view of the MiG if it is to be flown in a series of different passes (gear down, topside, underside etc).

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Displays should continue as usual, but the field(s) to view outside will no longer be accessible. And if changes need to be made to the display box, then fine. I don't see how limiting aircraft to 'flypasts' will make any difference.

eirik
UKAR Supporter

Post by eirik »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
eirik wrote:I agree, but flypasts are still not the same as full displays.

Since the Vulcan display has been deemed as OK, I'd take "flypasts only" to mean 'no vertical manoeuvres'.

Let's wait and see how things pan out this weekend, but given its miniscule proportions, it may afford you a closer view of the MiG if it is to be flown in a series of different passes (gear down, topside, underside etc).

Let's hope that you are right about the MIG-15. It is not the main reason for me to go to the Duxford BoB show, but it will be the first time I get to see it.
I have been to severeal Norwegian shows that it was supposed to attend, but for a number of reasons it has not been able to show up.
A multi-day trip to Duxford from Norway cost a lot of money, and I want to get the most out of it. Safety first off course, and I agree with the well balanced article written by UKAR after the tragedy at Shoreham.

Eirik

My photos:

AFC

Post by AFC »

Flare Path wrote:Displays should continue as usual, but the field(s) to view outside will no longer be accessible.

And how are they going to make them inaccessible? The fences and private security people don't seem to work, so what else are they going to do?

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

AFC wrote:
Flare Path wrote:Displays should continue as usual, but the field(s) to view outside will no longer be accessible.

And how are they going to make them inaccessible? The fences and private security people don't seem to work, so what else are they going to do?

I'd love to know but maybe people's common sense may prevail and they won't put themselves in a silly position, two aircraft have come down in free-loader fields at Duxford in the last 10-15 years fortunately without injuring any public and people need to realise they have to pay to support the shows. I really don't understand why people seem to think it is alright to make other people pay for their enjoyment.

Good luck to everyone and I hope the show is another safe and successful one.

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

AFC

Post by AFC »

svas_volunteer wrote:
AFC wrote:

I'd love to know but maybe people's common sense may prevail and they won't put themselves in a silly position, two aircraft have come down in free-loader fields at Duxford in the last 10-15 years fortunately without injuring any public and people need to realise they have to pay to support the shows. I really don't understand why people seem to think it is alright to make other people pay for their enjoyment.

Steve

Its no more dangerous now than it was before, people who use the fields know the risks, this crash isn't going to affect the way they think. Whilst I agree people should pay, the ticket prices at Duxford are far too expensive for what you actually get (a distant display with crappy lighting).

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

AFC wrote:
svas_volunteer wrote:
AFC wrote:

Steve

Its no more dangerous now than it was before, people who use the fields know the risks, this crash isn't going to affect the way they think. Whilst I agree people should pay, the ticket prices at Duxford are far too expensive for what you actually get (a distant display with crappy lighting).

I'm not saying the level of danger has increased at all, and from talking to some of the external viewers at Old Warden, no some of them don't know the risk they put themselves in. If you feel that Duxford shows are such poor value for money don't go, it's that simple, don't try and pass it off as 'because of these reasons I choose to not pay'. Plenty of photographers take pictures at Dux, you have to choose one end or the other and not shoot at the sun?

As much as I hate the press for putting the images up of Shoreham, there is one image which shows the aircraft coming down a short distance from a group of people who have admitted that they were taking pictures outside the airfield, which should say it all to everyone. Inside the venue you have regulations to protect you, outside it you have every chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

As you are an adult you can make your own mind up but I still don't see why people believe watching for free is acceptable?

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

svas_volunteer wrote:
AFC wrote:

Steve

Like driving down the M-11 while a show is on?
As for labelling everyone outside as a freeloader, I know of people who buy a ticket but elect to view from outside. They miss all of the stuff on the ground but their choice.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

I think we've had this conversation enough times by now. Give it a rest.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Back on the bright side, are we expecting any more participation announcements for this show?

eirik
UKAR Supporter

Post by eirik »

Unknown74 wrote:Back on the bright side, are we expecting any more participation announcements for this show?

Maybe the Lancaster will be ready in time?

Eirik

My photos:

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

eirik wrote:
Unknown74 wrote:Back on the bright side, are we expecting any more participation announcements for this show?

Maybe the Lancaster will be ready in time?

Eirik

Unfortunately I doubt that.

It is looking a little sparse, considering a lot of these planes will be up at the same time. I'm hoping for some more additions. Excited to see the chinook though!

eirik
UKAR Supporter

Post by eirik »

aaron0288 wrote:

It is looking a little sparse, considering a lot of these planes will be up at the same time. I'm hoping for some more additions. Excited to see the chinook though!

Typhoon and Spitfire duo would be nice.

Eirik

My photos:

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Just booked tickets! Really can't wait. :yahoo:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

With regard to this show if the BoB Typhoon was to come would it actually be able to land at Duxford? Reason I ask is that I remember the Tornado F.3 Display in 1991 landed but did they not have a different type of reverse thrust for landing on shorter runways or something.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Other than Hawk T1s, no military jets have landed at Duxford since the runway was resurfaced AFAIK.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Think they've also had one Hawk T2 in (for static at the BoB show in 2010) but apart from that can't think of any others.

I also doubt the Yale is a particularly likely participant - haven't seen any record of it flying since about 2008?

AFC

Post by AFC »

I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that fast jets with afterburners can't land at Duxford because when they take off they blow gravel and dust up from the banks at the end of the runway and onto the M11. Makes sense I guess. I might be wrong (probably am), but thats just what I've heard other people say.

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

eirik wrote:
aaron0288 wrote:

Typhoon and Spitfire duo would be nice.

Eirik

Agreed. Would be very nice. The solo Typhoon is at southport that weekend, so as the synchro pair are free, it would be so disappointing not to have them there. After all, they were formed to commemorate the very theme of this airshow!

jon93

Post by jon93 »

AFC wrote:I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that fast jets with afterburners can't land at Duxford because when they take off they blow gravel and dust up from the banks at the end of the runway and onto the M11. Makes sense I guess. I might be wrong (probably am), but thats just what I've heard other people say.

If my memory serves me correctly back in 2002 (when I was only nine) at the September show a Tornado F3 took off, displayed and landed.