Lack of fast Jets

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Johnhill

Lack of fast Jets

Post by Johnhill »

Ok, so I may be in the minority but I like to see airshows with variety and that includes vintage piston, vintage jet and modern (operational) fast jets.

Apart from the Red Arrows which I don't really count as fast jets, all we have seen so far this year at Duxford is the Typhoon.
Is Duxford moving more towards a show with only vintage displays?

I know we have the legends which is piston only, and then this year we have the BoB airshow which will be mainly piston aircraft.

Where does that leave the afterburner fans?

Am I the only one disappointed with the last of fast jets at Duxford this year?

The Dudster

Re: Lack of fast Jets

Post by The Dudster »

apart from the Typhoon does the RAF have any other fast jets these days ?

wv383

Post by wv383 »

I don't know but the clue for this September's show might be in the title - Battle of Britain Air Show.
Simon

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

The Dudster wrote:apart from the Typhoon does the RAF have any other fast jets these days ?

Errrmmm................how about Tornados? Voyagers are quite fast too, have you ever tried to keep up with one? :whistle:

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

wv383 wrote:I don't know but the clue for this September's show might be in the title - Battle of Britain Air Show.

Which he clearly states in his post... :roll:

You have a point. They've mostly had a fast jet display in their September shows, but like others have said, they've had the typhoon in May and really, what others are there available? I'm with you, I love me a bit of afterburner and am disappointed there won't be any at the BOB show.

They've had the Belgian F-16 in the past, but that's elsewhere that weekend. I doubt there's much else that would give Duxford priority over any other show. The only smidgen of hope we have is the synchro pair, but the typhoon only uses the afterburner in its final manoeuvre. Would still be nice to see though.

rokut

Post by rokut »

I remember being there for the September 2011 show and the F-15 doing it's thing. Wonderful to see it do a full display!

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Plus of course there is no longer an October show when there used to be visiting fast jets particularly the Belgian F16. It might also have something to do with cutbacks that seem to be happening everywhere, not just in airshows but in the various forces themselves, not just British but European as well.
Simon

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

I've seen videos of that f-15 display. I so wish I could've been there.

Johnhill

Post by Johnhill »

I'm just saying that the lack of fast jets (not just those from the UK) is making all shows very samey.
Comparing all three Dux shows this year there's very little variety between them.

BoB airshow might as well be Legends revisited

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Which is why I'm going to Sanicole instead. Take a look at the line up there and ask yourself if next year it would be better for you to save some extra money and go abroad? Others on this forum have said it before, if you want juicy displays head to the continent.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

jon93

Post by jon93 »

I thought people went to Duxford for world war 2 era aircraft not fast jets which is normally catered for at RIAT, Yeovilton and in previous years Waddington.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Johnhill wrote:Comparing all three Dux shows this year there's very little variety between them.

Comparing the last three RIAT's, very little variety between them as well.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

The lack of a difference in line up is far more noticeable in displays 2 months apart, as opposed to a whole year...

DirtyFokker

Post by DirtyFokker »

I understand where the OP is coming from, but I always expected the show to be packed with BoB planes .. not that I'm complaining :cool:

Although the Vulcan isn't a fast jet, I hope it will make a surprise visit :music: