Flying Legends 2016

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
HuwJHopkins

Re: Flying Legends 2016

Post by HuwJHopkins »

What I don't understand is the blatant disregard of facts?

Spouting that there has been no imports recently when in actual fact there have been many in recent years 6 from 2011-2015) and there is An Electra visiting from the USA for this year's show. Or does that not count because it isn't in a container, as is the strange fetish of many on here?

If OFMC was still going strong and TFC had the 5 more aircraft they used to have during the peak in the 90s, and those aircraft were booked every year, you do realise you would then class them in the 90% same old stuff you speak of? By the by, I have no idea who Michael Carlton is, maybe you're thinking of Mikael Carlson?

Oh and by the way Baron, you won't have seen the American Electra or EP122 display, which has just been announced as its debut.

Anyway, you are entitled to your own opinions, even if they are factually wrong.
Last edited by HuwJHopkins on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

st24

Post by st24 »

HuwJHopkins wrote: EP122 .

:drool: :yahoo: :heyhey:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

HuwJHopkins wrote:What I don't understand is the blatant disregard of facts?

Spouting that there has been no imports recently when in actual fact there have been many in recent years 6 from 2011-2015) and there is a Beech 18 visiting from the USA for this year's show. Or does that not count because it isn't in a container, as is the strange fetish of many on here?

If OFMC was still going strong and TFC had the 5 more aircraft they used to have during the peak in the 90s, and those aircraft were booked every year, you do realise you would then class them in the 90% same old stuff you speak of? By the by, I have no idea who Michael Carlton is, maybe you're thinking of Mikael Carlson?

Oh and by the way Baron, you won't have seen the American Beech 18 or EP122 display, which has just been announced as its debut.

Anyway, you are entitled to your own opinions, even if they are factually wrong.

I stand corrected. I've not seen them either, you're quite right.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

The Baron wrote:

Spouting that there has been no imports recently when in actual fact there have been many in recent years 6 from 2011-2015) and there is a Beech 18 visiting from the USA for this year's show. Or does that not count because it isn't in a container, as is the strange fetish of many on here?

Oh and by the way Baron, you won't have seen the American Beech 18 or EP122 display, which has just been announced as its debut.

Easy mistake to make. It's not like there's plenty of examples of those aircraft already in and around these shores.

classicaviation

Post by classicaviation »

Pen Pusher wrote:
rob68 wrote:Any containers this year?

Who wants to see a container flying.

Brian

I don't know Brian I think it would be quite impressive to make a contrainer airworthy :lol: the caa would have a field day mind
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

They essentially had one at the last show flying with the Bronco.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

That's a 'Flying Shed' not a container. :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

classicaviation wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:
rob68 wrote:Any containers this year?

Who wants to see a container flying.

Brian

I don't know Brian I think it would be quite impressive to make a container airworthy :lol: the caa would have a field day mind

It's already been done! Google Blackburn Beverley?

AMB

Post by AMB »

Slappywag wrote:
The Baron wrote:

Easy mistake to make. It's not like there's plenty of examples of those aircraft already in and around these shores.

Really, I thought an Electra had four Alison turboprops??? I'll get my coat!!! :heyhey:
Adrian

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Unless I read it wrongly, Rob referred to "imports" for this show. Not any previous years, but this year.

As Legends bears no interest for me, I don't follow what is booked or not, so perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what has been "imported" (i.e. booked from overseas) for this show, that perhaps has not been seen elsewhere in the UK in the last 18 or so months?

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:Unless I read it wrongly, Rob referred to "imports" for this show. Not any previous years, but this year.

As Legends bears no interest for me, I don't follow what is booked or not, so perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what has been "imported" (i.e. booked from overseas) for this show, that perhaps has not been seen elsewhere in the UK in the last 18 or so months?

From America, the Lockheed Junior Electra.
From Europe, classic formation of DC-3 and 2 Beech 18s.
From New Zealand although I imagine taking up residence in the UK, Sopwith Snipe and Albatros D.V. I think (but might be wrong) everything else except Spitfire EP122 has appeared before.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

The Baron wrote:
Hampshire Aviation wrote:Unless I read it wrongly, Rob referred to "imports" for this show. Not any previous years, but this year.

From America, the Lockheed Junior Electra.
From Europe, classic formation of DC-3 and 2 Beech 18s.
From New Zealand although I imagine taking up residence in the UK, Sopwith Snipe and Albatros D.V. I think (but might be wrong) everything else except Spitfire EP122 has appeared before.

Answering the question technically, the Snipe and Albatros have been seen elsewhere in the last 18 months (I don't know why 18 months is the magic number here, it seems terribly anal!?)

So, things booked for the 2016 show from overseas that have not been seen in the last 18 months in the UK:
Lockheed Junior Electra (America)
Classic formation of DC-3 and x2 Beech 18 (Switzerland)
C-53 (Dakota Norway)
Corsair (Flying Bulls, Austria)

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

HuwJHopkins wrote:So, things booked for the 2016 show from overseas that have not been seen in the last 18 months in the UK:
C-53 (Dakota Norway)

Definitely none of those types seen the UK recently. Nope.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Slappywag wrote:
HuwJHopkins wrote:So, things booked for the 2016 show from overseas that have not been seen in the last 18 months in the UK:
C-53 (Dakota Norway)

Definitely none of those types seen the UK recently. Nope.

Gee, thanks for the confirmation Sloppybag. Where would we be without you?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

The question didn't specify 'types', what I'm listing is individual aircraft. If you're asking the former and basing the answer on your enjoyment of this hobby, you're onto a 'take up tiddlywinks' looser...

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

HuwJHopkins wrote:The question didn't specify 'types', what I'm listing is individual aircraft. If you're asking the former and basing the answer on your enjoyment of this hobby, you're onto a 'take up tiddlywinks' looser...

But that's the thing. Types seen fairly regularly already, but just because they're painted slightly differently makes it a big deal? That's 'tiddlywinks territory' sonny.

Legends/Duxford is obviously struggling and repeating similar poor line ups over and over is proof of this. They've got to try a damn sight harder to be anywhere near interesting, especially for the nonsense fees they charge.

Final call for Duxford.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Slappywag wrote:Legends/Duxford is obviously struggling and repeating similar poor line ups over and over is proof of this.

It's quite straight forward.

If this lineup: https://www.flyinglegends.com/aircraft.html doesn't excite you then don't go to the show.

What is a FACT is that there are exactly and only 2 days in each year when this number and variety of piston warbirds can be seen together anywhere in Europe. If piston warbirds aren't your thing then don't go to the show.

Six hours of headache inducing fast jets isn't my thing, so I don't go to RIAT. But I'm not complaining about it; In fact I'm very happy for those who enjoy RIAT and hope it continues for many years to come.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

You're missing the point Dave. If people are going to fork out the money in advance, quite a bit of money, they are likely to want a big headline display. RIAT have the Slovak MiG-29, Croatian Wings of Storm, F-22 and F-35.
If Legends big headline displays are a Spitfire (OK a new one but one that will hopefully be seen on a regular basis moving forward), and an Electra then realistically it is a somewhat tired looking line up. I love my warbirds but I also want bang for my buck as the Americans say. This is the first Legends I'll have missed since 2006.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

I disagree.

Legends "big headline display" is that it is the largest gathering of piston warbirds in Europe and amongst the largest piston warbird shows in the world. It is inevitable that this will involve many of the same aeroplanes year after year. The point is that they are all gathered together for this one weekend. If you believe this makes for a "poor" line up or that it's not value for money then don't go to the show.

It is simply unrealistic to expect that each and every year there will be an aeroplane that hasn't been seen in the UK before. Of course, many years that does happen and it's a fantastic bonus, but it shouldn't be expected. If your enjoyment of Flying Legends is dependant on seeing a type that hasn't been seen before then most years you are going to be disappointed.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

DaveBr wrote:I disagree.

Legends "big headline display" is that it is the largest gathering of piston warbirds in Europe and amongst the largest piston warbird shows in the world. It is inevitable that this will involve many of the same aeroplanes year after year. The point is that they are all gathered together for this one weekend. If you believe this makes for a "poor" line up or that it's not value for money then don't go to the show.

It is simply unrealistic to expect that each and every year there will be an aeroplane that hasn't been seen in the UK before. Of course, many years that does happen and it's a fantastic bonus, but it shouldn't be expected. If your enjoyment of Flying Legends is dependant on seeing a type that hasn't been seen before then most years you are going to be disappointed.

The most logical post on this thread so far, this!

Damn Legends for not booking a Ho-229.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

More participants added today in the form of MaxAlfa Aviation's Spitfire VIIIc MT928/D-FEUR and their F4U Corsair 124541/D-FCOR.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

great additions :D

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Slappywag wrote:
HuwJHopkins wrote:The question didn't specify 'types', what I'm listing is individual aircraft. If you're asking the former and basing the answer on your enjoyment of this hobby, you're onto a 'take up tiddlywinks' looser...

But that's the thing. Types seen fairly regularly already, but just because they're painted slightly differently makes it a big deal? That's 'tiddlywinks territory' sonny.

Legends/Duxford is obviously struggling and repeating similar poor line ups over and over is proof of this. They've got to try a damn sight harder to be anywhere near interesting, especially for the nonsense fees they charge.

Final call for Duxford.

Can I ask and a genuine question then why the big fuss over the Slovak Mig29 surely it's the same type as what the Polish send year on year, or some of the F16's that are coming to Riat. I can't understand why Legends gets slated for having the same type's over and over yet for Riat we get the same line up of F16's a Mig29 (usually from Poland), C130's etc etc.
Personally this year I'm doing Riat because I've not been for 4 years and it's the final year of Ramex Delta. I'll have to miss Legends, only because I've spent a lot of cash this year and can't afford Riat, hotel cost and Legends.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Mooshie1956 wrote:I can't understand why Legends gets slated for having the same type's over and over yet for RIAT we get the same line up of F16's a Mig29 (usually from Poland), C130's etc etc.
Personally this year I'm doing RIAT because I've not been for 4 years and it's the final year of Ramex Delta. I'll have to miss Legends, only because I've spent a lot of cash this year and can't afford RIAT, hotel cost and Legends.

Agreed, I think it's a great line-up, admittedly I probably won't go this year due to display line changes and the fact I've seen most of it before, but I'd never describe it as a poor line-up. I guess we've been spoiled in previous years by having a star item which we don't seem to have this year.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Legends is a great occasion, I thoroughly enjoy it.

Nevertheless I have harboured the same niggling frustrations with it year after year in terms of participants; there is so much on the doorstep that could enhance it no end, such as the Hardwick and Hangar 11 collections, but for whatever reason don't appear. The three P-51's in the aforementioned collections are arguably three of the best warbirds we have in this country, but you aren't going to see them at Legends. A shame.

I'm not going to be there this year because I'll be at RIAT. I would have been there otherwise, and hopefully it'll still be there next year so I can return.

Despite the niggles - and display lines was always one and its now out of bounds of niggling about - its a world class airshow and we're lucky to have it. Some of the stuff they do pull year after year is remarkable.