Flying Legends 2016

Re: Flying Legends 2016

Postby FarnboroJohn on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 5:20 pm

DamienB wrote:There's only one vintage jet that would "fit" - the Me-262 - and frankly its display routine is beyond dull. Belly pass, belly pass, straight line, belly pass, belly pass, land. And it's small so at jet display distances it'll be a dot in the frame unless you're toting 600mm or above. The Meteor F.8 display is much better but it's really not the right era I would have thought.

OK, so don't bring the 262 every year - I'd still like to see it once or twice..... and I'm quite used to seeing post-war Spitfires at Legends, so a post-war Meteor rather than a MkIII will be pretty much acceptable.

Can we not have a Fieseler Fi 103 as well? Now the naughty field is clear it could be launched into that. :lol:

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby DamienB on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 8:53 pm

st24 wrote:
DamienB wrote:And which F.8 display is that? :question:

The one that got so few bookings in the UK it ended up in Australia... but about as likely as the 262 to turn up at Legends I suspect.
DamienB

Postby st24 on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 2:50 pm

DamienB wrote:
st24 wrote:

The one that got so few bookings in the UK it ended up in Australia... but about as likely as the 262 to turn up at Legends I suspect.

Oh Winston, I just thought it odd to refer to a jet warbird that hasn't been here for 16 years or so.. :surrender: And was it really lack of bookings as I had heard other stories.. :confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby timuss on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 8:34 pm

So i guess the F22 may have to practice in advance of the weekend maybe??
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby GeorgeP on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:39 pm

st24 wrote:
DamienB wrote:
st24 wrote:

Oh Winston, I just thought it odd to refer to a jet warbird that hasn't been here for 16 years or so.. :surrender: And was it really lack of bookings as I had heard other stories.. :confused:

Is this the F8 to which you're referring? :smile:

ImageF.8 Meteor VH-MBX by GP1961, on Flickr
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums
GeorgeP

Postby PirateTrickster on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 10:16 am

Hi all,

This is possibly a naive / newby question, although why is Flying Legends so expensive? Last year I went to Cosford and it cost me about £25 (can't remember exactly) for me and my two boys (both under 16) came in free. This year I went to the Season Premiere at Shuttleworth and it cost me about £22 (group rate) and again the youngsters got in free.

Duxford want £35 for me and £18 for each of my boys?! That's £70 before the £5 parking charge and any incidentals.

With the F-22 and a free weekend it was looking like an option, although not at those sorts of prices.

Am I out of touch?
PirateTrickster

Postby rdchawk on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 10:21 am

PirateTrickster wrote:Hi all,

This is possibly a naive / newby question, although why is Flying Legends so expensive? Last year I went to Cosford and it cost me about £25 (can't remember exactly) for me and my two boys (both under 16) came in free. This year I went to the Season Premiere at Shuttleworth and it cost me about £22 (group rate) and again the youngsters got in free.

Duxford want £35 for me and £18 for each of my boys?! That's £70 before the £5 parking charge and any incidentals.

With the F-22 and a free weekend it was looking like an option, although not at those sorts of prices.

Am I out of touch?

Cheaper to go to RIAT. Although the £5 car park fee does not apply to legends.
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
rdchawk

Postby st24 on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 11:19 am

GeorgeP wrote:
st24 wrote:
DamienB wrote:
st24 wrote:

Is this the F8 to which you're referring? :smile:

ImageF.8 Meteor VH-MBX by GP1961, on Flickr

Yep, Halestorm now but will always be Winston to many, me included!! :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby AFKAMC on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 11:37 am

rdchawk wrote:

Am I out of touch?

Cosford and RIAT are kids go free, and tend to market themselves as family days out.

Duxford air shows seem to be more enthusiast things. Whether the site doesn't have the capacity for the crowds which would ensue if kids were free, or the Museum insist children have to pay, who knows?

Duxford in September might work out cheaper for you than Flying Legends; even with the parking charge, the tickets are cheaper, I think?

EDIT: Thinking about it, a family ticket for just the museum at Duxford (1 adult, 2 kids) is around £30. If kids were free at the airshow, an airshow ticket would presumably have to be considerably more than £30 - it wouldn't make sense if you didn't pay a premium to attend the airshow. But if they put the ticket price up that much (it's currently £35 for Flying Legends), it wouldn't be worth people without kids going.

Not a problem at Cosford, because the museum there is free admission, anyway.
AFKAMC

Postby classicaviation on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:34 pm

Early weather looks iffy. Friday and Saturday having showers but early week and Sunday outlook is dry. It could be a worse forecast I guess.
2016: Duxford May, Fly Navy, Legends, Little Gransden, Duxford Sept
classicaviation

Postby darkman on Thu 30 Jun 2016, 9:46 am

tommo999 wrote:No P-40C then...

Now added. :cool:
darkman

Postby pb643 on Thu 30 Jun 2016, 10:35 am

AFKAMC wrote:
rdchawk wrote:

Am I out of touch?

Cosford and RIAT are kids go free, and tend to market themselves as family days out.

Duxford air shows seem to be more enthusiast things. Whether the site doesn't have the capacity for the crowds which would ensue if kids were free, or the Museum insist children have to pay, who knows?

Duxford in September might work out cheaper for you than Flying Legends; even with the parking charge, the tickets are cheaper, I think?

EDIT: Thinking about it, a family ticket for just the museum at Duxford (1 adult, 2 kids) is around £30. If kids were free at the airshow, an airshow ticket would presumably have to be considerably more than £30 - it wouldn't make sense if you didn't pay a premium to attend the airshow. But if they put the ticket price up that much (it's currently £35 for Flying Legends), it wouldn't be worth people without kids going.

Not a problem at Cosford, because the museum there is free admission, anyway.

Since they introduced the kids ticket cost (can't recall when that was?) , it has become a very costly exercise to make a family day of it. In my opinion the childrens ticket cost is quite out of proportion to the amount of enjoyment a lot of them are likely to get from it.

Phil
pb643

Postby yannyfoxx on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 8:27 am

No Sea Fury's or Yaks yet and it's been a while since the Skyraiders showed up. Now that Frankie is back in the saddle, it would be nice to see her added to the stable of P51s too. It just seems that a couple of the regulars from the past, particularly from France aren't on the list yet and I hope that the unpredictable weather we've got at the moment doesn't throw a spanner in the works next week as it did a few years ago when many of the aircraft were unable to make the transit across the channel. Fingers crossed for more good news after the cracking F22 announcement!
yannyfoxx

Postby Pen Pusher on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 4:03 pm

The Lockheed Electra has just touched down. :yahoo:
Brian

https://www.facebook.com/FlyingLegendsO ... =3&theater
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby eddywinch82 on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 2:10 pm

I am particularly looking forwards to seeing, the Hugo Mathys DC3 Dakota and 2 Beech 18's formation. I would also like to see more Hawker Hurricanes in the lineup only 1 so far, and the Warbirds mentioned by yannyfoxx in his latest post. Also the F22 and Mustang formation will be a highlight for me. But as always the lineup is excellent ! And I am really looking forwards to the Airshow !
eddywinch82

Postby HuwJHopkins on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 3:53 pm

You can't have everything, every year! Legends never has and never will be about getting all of the UK and Europe's warbirds, a financial and political impossibility. Great Warbirds certainly never did, but I suppose UKAR wasn't around back then to moan about it :sleepy:
HuwJHopkins

Postby FarnboroJohn on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 4:08 pm

HuwJHopkins wrote:You can't have everything, every year! Legends never has and never will be about getting all of the UK and Europe's warbirds, a financial and political impossibility.

A man can dream, though.... I'd settle for the Boomerang next year if that's not too much to ask! And a Lancaster.....

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby darkman on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 9:51 am

Hawker Sea Fury MkII added. :rock:
darkman

Postby The Doctor on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 11:11 am

Totally amazing lineup as always, so many beautiful warbirds. Really getting quite excited now. :rock: :yahoo:
The Doctor

Postby Pen Pusher on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 11:58 am

Any one coming from London by train, there is now a bus shuttle service from/to Royston.

The courtesy buses from Cambridge Railway Station and from Royston Railway Station run at regular intervals, between 8.30am and 1.30pm. Buses will return to the station at regular intervals from 3pm and then every 30 minutes, with the last bus leaving IWM Duxford at 6.30pm.

Not all Great Northern trains from Kings Cross stop at Royston so check before boarding other wise you'll end up at Cambridge.

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby Private Custard on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 3:05 pm

Does the bus still travel via Trumpington park & ride? Been a long time since I used that method!

EDIT : Actually, forget I asked, it's listed on IWMs site under 'arriving by car', rather than 'arriving by public transport'!
Private Custard

Postby Pen Pusher on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 12:10 pm

A few practice displays this morning and although a bit higher than normal, top sides over the M11 appear to be back on the menu

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby hardtarget on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 12:52 pm

Miss Helen and F-22 added to the aircraft list
hardtarget

Postby Pen Pusher on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 4:29 pm

Hawker Fury II has arrived.

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby PirateTrickster on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 5:14 pm

Just seen an Antonov AN-2 (D-FWJE) enroute to Duxford - assume it's going for this weekend.
PirateTrickster

PreviousNext

Return to IWM Duxford Events