SR71 pilot lecture, thankyou.

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
nigelblake

SR71 pilot lecture, thankyou.

Post by nigelblake »

Today I went to Duxford, a place I have visited many times, but it was for a very special reason this time, because at 2pm in the USAF hall; Richard H Graham Col. USAF (Ret) a former SR71 pilot was giving a lecture on what I consider to be the greatest aircraft ever built and his time flying it.
There were probably about 60 people gathered around the aircraft for the talk and a 'question and answer' session afterwards, a great insight into 11 hour missions, secret operations, air to air refuelling and the design and construction of Kelly Johnson's masterpiece; we also learned how to scratch your nose with a drinks tube when wearing a full pressure suit helmet, how to heat your in-flight meal against the cockpit glass (at 600F it took little time at all to make the "tube-food" hot) and other tales of flying the Blackbird.... it was fantastic!

I for one would really like to thank those who organised this first open lecture at Duxford, great idea and I hope there are many more.

And most of all thankyou very much indeed Richard H Graham Col. USAF (Ret), a real pleasure to meet you and hear what you had to say.

The man and the machine.

Graham

Re: SR71 pilot lecture, thankyou.

Post by Graham »

It truely was a fantastic lecture.
With it taking place under the nose of the SR71 itself, and with the port wing of the B52 stretching overhead made it a memorable experience.
Thanks to Rich Graham for the wonderful insight into this fantastic airplane and the operations it undertook. The discussion on the missions flown out of Mildenhall being particularly interesting, as I recall seem the Blackbird many many times at the `hall.
Thanks also to those at Duxford for putting this event on - roll on the next one.
As Nigel said, it was a real pleasure being there.

Graham

garethbrum

Post by garethbrum »

Did either of you guys get the book? Just wondered if it's worth adding to the collection as I've already got Sled Driver and a couple of Paul F Crickmore books on the jet?

nigelblake

Post by nigelblake »

Yes I have all three of Rich Graham's books, "Blackbird SR71 Stories, tales and legends" is very readable; I've yet to read the other two!