Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
play it cool

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Post by play it cool »

Hard to see anything else flying now. Washout.

st24

Post by st24 »

play it cool wrote:Hard to see anything else flying now. Washout.

Phew, thank goodness for advance tickets. Kerching.... :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Dragon Rapide wrote:All this bellyaching about the costs. We are all free to spend on entertainment how we chose. Blackcat you and your family don't have to endure any of it. There are lots of things I'd love to do but cannot afford. So be it. Absolutely no point in whingeing about it!!

pb643 - always bought very fresh sandwiches from Wingco Joe's - very good value but cannot comment on current arrangements.

Your missing the point,
Other Airshows don't charge that kind of money for children.
Yes everything cost money but Duxfords costs more.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Mig & Vampires did a taxi, Catalina now displaying.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

blackcat wrote:
Dragon Rapide wrote:All this bellyaching about the costs. We are all free to spend on entertainment how we chose. Blackcat you and your family don't have to endure any of it. There are lots of things I'd love to do but cannot afford. So be it. Absolutely no point in whingeing about it!!

pb643 - always bought very fresh sandwiches from Wingco Joe's - very good value but cannot comment on current arrangements.

Your missing the point,

On the contrary I directly addressed the point. So either go and don't complain or complain and vote with your feet by going somewhere else.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Dragon Rapide wrote:
blackcat wrote:

Your missing the point,

On the contrary I directly addressed the point. So either go and don't complain or complain and vote with your feet by going somewhere else.

Which is what I have done and speaking to a friend in there today who booked his ticket in advance expecting to see a balance of old a new fighters but went because he already had a ticket,He said it was very quiet compared to a few years back so sounds like a lot of people are speaking with their feet.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Or just the wet weather.

I have a ticket for today but not gone due to the rain.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Pen Pusher wrote:Or just the wet weather.

Brian

Well I guess you are in a position to where you can write off that money without a worry.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

blackcat wrote:
Well I guess you are in a position to where you can write off that money without a worry.

It's an outdoor event. In the UK. If the possibility that it might rain represents a financial problem for you then you probably shouldn't be spending that money on air show tickets.

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

DaveBr wrote:
blackcat wrote:

It's an outdoor event. In the UK. If the possibility that it might rain represents a financial problem for you then you probably shouldn't be spending that money on air show tickets.

But as everyone has been saying it has a museum which you are paying for in the price and that is all under cover so why would you not still go?
Look ,As an aviation enthusiast that I am a see both sides,I'm trying to look at this from a Family point of view on an aviation website so will never win.
It's the nearest Airshow to where I live but I could go to Airshows further away for less,Even RIAT would cost me less for the tickets and only a little more in petrol which is what I have now booked for 2017 already.
All I am saying is how is that right.
But as you have said ,it is what it is I I'm not being forced to,I fully understand that as well.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

blackcat wrote:Well I guess you are in a position to where you can write off that money without a worry.

Not really. Retired, living off a Civil Service Pension unitl the State pension kicks in in a couple of years.

Must be tough living off a wage and tax credits/child allowance and any of the other financial hand outs from the Government married couples with children seem to get.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
blackcat wrote:Well I guess you are in a position to where you can write off that money without a worry.

Not really. Retired, living off a Civil Service Pension unitl the State pension kicks in in a couple of years.

Must be tough living off a wage and tax credits/child allowance and any of the other financial hand outs from the Government married couples with children seem to get.

Brian

Bit of a sweeping Statement/low blow Brian.Especially from someone on the "Admin" team. Unless i of course have misinterpreted your comments?
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian

Ouch Brian, :sad:
Me and my wife both have to work to pay our mortgage.
Something in this day and age a lot of people have to do I'm afraid.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian

Lol, Brian. :facepalm: People have been banned for less than that on here, and you should know better.

Silly comment.

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

blackcat wrote:

Brian

Another assumption? which may lead to other comments.

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

planenuttoo wrote:
blackcat wrote:

Brian

How is that an assumption ?
He paid for a ticket to a indoor museum and Airshow and did not go because it rained ?

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

planenuttoo wrote:
blackcat wrote:

Brian

It wasn't said in the same generalised/sweeping manner. And as i said someone in the "Admin" team on here should know better.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

AMB

Post by AMB »

Pen Pusher wrote:From Duxford Facebook

We are getting ready for the flying display at 1.30pm, unfortunately the BBMF's Avro Lancaster will not be taking part due to bad weather, there are no other changes at the moment- we will keep you posted.

https://www.facebook.com/iwm.duxford

Brian

Strange, the BBMF Lancaster flew low over my house at 1630 in bright sunshine heading North en-route from Goodwood to Stockport I guess. Shame it couldn't make Duxford!
Adrian

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

blackcat wrote:He paid for a ticket to a indoor museum and Airshow and did not go because it rained ?

If I was a car driver, I would have gone, but I'm a motor bike rider. Don't mind getting wet going home from somewhere but arriving somewhere wet, yes I do have waterproofs but they are never 100% waterproof especially around the crotch area :whistle:, bimbling around all day damp around the edges isn't really comfortable any more.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Canon

Post by Canon »

blackcat wrote:
DaveBr wrote:
blackcat wrote:

But as everyone has been saying it has a museum which you are paying for in the price and that is all under cover so why would you not still go?
Look ,As an aviation enthusiast that I am a see both sides,I'm trying to look at this from a Family point of view on an aviation website so will never win.
It's the nearest Airshow to where I live but I could go to Airshows further away for less,Even RIAT would cost me less for the tickets and only a little more in petrol which is what I have now booked for 2017 already.
All I am saying is how is that right.
But as you have said ,it is what it is I I'm not being forced to,I fully understand that as well.

Duxford is overpriced.
Their high prices is what caused me to start using the fields back in 2013, however that is no longer possible unfortunately. So Duxford is no longer an airshow venue I will ever attend.
The food is also overpriced. £6.50 for a burger?!?! Either they're having a laugh or they are the highest quality burgers around (which I highly doubt).
Old Warden is definitely more reasonably priced (and a much better airshow venue), also the food is much cheaper there.

Off to Snetterton tomorrow, once again much better value for money than Duxford. Racing all day, plus access to the pits for £24. Plus its one of the best tracks for photography IMO.
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Blackcat- it's not about right and wrong. It's about choices and decisions which you make. Nothing more nothing less. And I am sure many ticket holders stayrd away thus making more room for those who took a chance.
Last edited by Dragon Rapide on Sat 10 Sep 2016, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

vtecsilver

Post by vtecsilver »

Can anyone advise how busy the crowds were today, and whether there was much flying - thank you?

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Smallish crowd, although bigger than I was expecting tbh. Not much flew due to the weather.

Bearcat & Fury (briefly)
2x Buchons & 2x Spitfires
Gladiator
Trainer formation - 2x Chipmunks & Harvard
Global Stars
Mark Jefferies solo aeros
Catalina

2x Vampires & Mig15 did a taxy run.
Sally B taxied out and then taxied back again in the rain.

Think that was it...

vtecsilver

Post by vtecsilver »

Thank you Dave for the report.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Just got back from Duxfords "HISTORIC FIGHTER FEST"
Nobody wanted to scan my car parking ticket on entry, needn't have bought it.
Absolutely no contemporary/ present/ modern counterpart fighters to be seen (but we knew that already).
I asked a member of the IWM with a walkie talkie why no modern stuff ?.................I might as well have been talking mandarin.
I asked another member of the IWM with a walkie talkie why no modern stuff ?............they didn't know.
Gave up..........Sigh........
We went to the tank bank end, which was closed off, asked a security guard why ?.....but he couldn't speak any English.
I personally can't see any reason why the last 200m is shut..............totally bemusing.
We set up camp at that end anyway.....nothing came close, all happening at the M11 end for photography it seemed, so we upped camp and went there instead, and then rain stopped play.
We came home
Suns out tomorrow.....we'll go to the school :smile: